Solar Powered Animal Repellers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Has anyone used them? If so, do they work?
We have a problem with a lot of outdoor cats here and sometimes opossums. I'm getting ready to replant our side yard this Spring (it was destroyed by a giant tree that fell on the house & yard) after I get the new fence up. I want to try and prevent the new plantings from dying from animals.
Here is a link to one model - it's an ultrasonic device.

Link?
I have never heard of them, would like to see. If they are anything like the mozzie repellers, then they don't work! GIMMICK.

Don't know about these but do know the indoor plug in pest repellers don't work.
Before you purchase call or go by your local Farm or Feed and Seed Store to see if they can be any assistance.

I would doubt they work. Years back I tried some ultasonic pest devices. Waste of money. I would consider different mulch material to keep cats away, open soil is an invitation. Possums? Maybe live trap and relocate or call a critter guy? I have seen pellets to sprinkle to deter animals, I know the deer stuff works. I would try the pellets.

You know the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true" well in this case I think this is one of those overhyped products that really doesn't do much of anything. At least that is what a gardener friend told me. I think this was for moles or something..not cats. I doubt anything would repel the cats ...
Here are some other ideas:
Here are some other tactics commonly used for existing beds:
1. Use a commercial cat repellent, such as Shake-Away.
2. Sprinkle "stinky" substances like dried-blood fertilizer or ammonia around the problem area.
3. Purchase a product that is motion-activated and fires water at intruders, such as the Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler.
4. Plant a catnip bed in a separate part of the yard, to lure the cats away from the problem area.
5. Cats can be kept away by installing an electric fence.
6. In mulching the problem bed, include bristly material, such as sharp-edged pine cones.
7. Another mulch-related idea is to use stone mulch. It may not be the most attractive mulch for your particular bed, but cats prefer to poop in loose dirt. They're lazy diggers, so they usually won't bother with an area mulched in stone.

Or better yet, get one of these:
tough_dog.jpg

Back