Sold EZPZ

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Old Tavernkeeper

Reaction score
Put our Inn on Zillow. Sold it to our neighbor within a month and he is going to combine our historic Inn with his restaurant, vineyard and wedding business.

We have been so busy. We have set all time new sales records 13 months in a row but the housekeepers both are gone, the landscapers are gone, all the local handymen are gone, most of the local limo, taxi and uber drivers gone. We are just too old to fight the fact that all of our support businesses have been either driven out of business by covid restrictions or employees have gotten lazy collecting $758 to $958 in unemployment for doing nothing.

The landscape company said that between the increase in gas and diesel and having to raise wages from $25 to $33 an hour that our weekly landscaping bill was going to go from $200 a week to $350 and they would only take cash, would not provide a receipt and would not provide info to 1099 them. I said take a hike,
My two housekeepers had the gall to say they would come back but only if I paid them $500 per week each in cash for a 20 hour week and agreed to not 1099 them. Because they both get unemployment AND EBT cards and are still working full time for another hotel off the 'books' I said take a hike.

It is like the whole world thinks that they can do everything for cash and never pay taxes again, all while mooching off those of us that pay taxes.

We are sad to leave when we are doing so well filling rooms but so poorly getting help doing things because every business around us is either gone, has a long wait to come or has jacked up rates. But hopefully we will get to see some of your places during retirement.

Good luck to all! Janet

Everyone is taking a page from the AIR model of business. No accountability to the government entities that WHAT they are remitting is what is owed, no way to track who is "hosting" to collect fees nd enforce regs. Cash is king. I am legal - I report everything. Sad knowing how many B & Bs have closed due to AIR, Covid, and/or no one willing to actually WORK! (No pride these days in a job well done.)

Best wishes! We’ve been retired for two months. Haven’t had a chance to enjoy it because we have been trying to find a place to live, but we’re closing on a house this week. Looking forward to just living for awhile.

Put our Inn on Zillow. Sold it to our neighbor within a month and he is going to combine our historic Inn with his restaurant, vineyard and wedding business.

We have been so busy. We have set all time new sales records 13 months in a row but the housekeepers both are gone, the landscapers are gone, all the local handymen are gone, most of the local limo, taxi and uber drivers gone. We are just too old to fight the fact that all of our support businesses have been either driven out of business by covid restrictions or employees have gotten lazy collecting $758 to $958 in unemployment for doing nothing.

The landscape company said that between the increase in gas and diesel and having to raise wages from $25 to $33 an hour that our weekly landscaping bill was going to go from $200 a week to $350 and they would only take cash, would not provide a receipt and would not provide info to 1099 them. I said take a hike,
My two housekeepers had the gall to say they would come back but only if I paid them $500 per week each in cash for a 20 hour week and agreed to not 1099 them. Because they both get unemployment AND EBT cards and are still working full time for another hotel off the 'books' I said take a hike.

It is like the whole world thinks that they can do everything for cash and never pay taxes again, all while mooching off those of us that pay taxes.

We are sad to leave when we are doing so well filling rooms but so poorly getting help doing things because every business around us is either gone, has a long wait to come or has jacked up rates. But hopefully we will get to see some of your places during retirement.

Good luck to all! Janet
Good for you. But nah, extended unemployment isnt keeping people home... We are coming out to C Ville early next week on a winery run, can you PM us with your location, would love to see it - We know owners of Arcady, great folks

Good for you. But nah, extended unemployment isnt keeping people home... We are coming out to C Ville early next week on a winery run, can you PM us with your location, would love to see it - We know owners of Arcady, great folks
Oh yes it is. We also own a restaurant here in Cville and out of 32 employees 28 are sitting at home collecting unemployment and every one of them has contacted me looking to return to work after Labor Day when the benefits get cut off. I told them 'you can fill out an application' but the ones that approached us about paying them cash so they could double dip won't be getting hired back under any circumstances.

Same thing at the vineyard, every employee that left is still sitting on their asses at home and they have started inquiring about coming back to work after benefits get cut off on Sept 4th. "Dear XXX, Sorry you have been replaced and there are no openings that you are qualified for at this time. Best of Luck" in an email is all they get.

We stopped in to see Rikki on our 2013 Road Trip on the way from Rocky Mount to Shinnston. Lovely B & B a winery.

Everyone is taking a page from the AIR model of business. No accountability to the government entities that WHAT they are remitting is what is owed, no way to track who is "hosting" to collect fees nd enforce regs. Cash is king. I am legal - I report everything. Sad knowing how many B & Bs have closed due to AIR, Covid, and/or no one willing to actually WORK! (No pride these days in a job well done.)
Grateful to be small enough to be able to get most of it done. The mowing service has been reliable. Xmas bonus for them !

I use high school kids for my mowing. My yards are small but I pay them $20 per mow - extra if I have something else I want them to do for me - like clean out the raised bed.

Oh yes it is. We also own a restaurant here in Cville and out of 32 employees 28 are sitting at home collecting unemployment and every one of them has contacted me looking to return to work after Labor Day when the benefits get cut off. I told them 'you can fill out an application' but the ones that approached us about paying them cash so they could double dip won't be getting hired back under any circumstances.

Same thing at the vineyard, every employee that left is still sitting on their asses at home and they have started inquiring about coming back to work after benefits get cut off on Sept 4th. "Dear XXX, Sorry you have been replaced and there are no openings that you are qualified for at this time. Best of Luck" in an email is all they get.
I was being sarcastic :-( I really feel for people in your situation, we are blessed to only need cleaners and they are amazing

Back