Some Fancy Place Settings...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kathleen at Gillum House could still teach them a thing or two about crystal knife rests!

Kathleen at Gillum House could still teach them a thing or two about crystal knife rests!.
Thank you!! You just made my day! Today was Tourism Day at the Capitol. Up at 4 AM, at the Capitol by 8:30, and home at 5:30 tonight in time for my 6 PM Development Authority meeting. I am now going to bed with a smile on my face thanks to you, Arkie.

Kathleen at Gillum House could still teach them a thing or two about crystal knife rests!.
Thank you!! You just made my day! Today was Tourism Day at the Capitol. Up at 4 AM, at the Capitol by 8:30, and home at 5:30 tonight in time for my 6 PM Development Authority meeting. I am now going to bed with a smile on my face thanks to you, Arkie.
gillumhouse said:
Today was Tourism Day at the Capitol.
I'm at our state's "Governor's Conference On Tourism" through Tuesday. Learning a few things, but not much I didn't already learn here on Innspiring!
Last year the Arkansas tourism website was #2 in the US in number of people visiting it. I assume that's per capita, taking the size of the state into consideration. Their stats show that 60% of the website visitors were using mobile devices. Amazing!

gillumhouse said:
Today was Tourism Day at the Capitol.
I'm at our state's "Governor's Conference On Tourism" through Tuesday. Learning a few things, but not much I didn't already learn here on Innspiring!
Last year the Arkansas tourism website was #2 in the US in number of people visiting it. I assume that's per capita, taking the size of the state into consideration. Their stats show that 60% of the website visitors were using mobile devices. Amazing!
Our Tourism Division does studies and gives the info out to everyone at the Conference every Fall. Each year I pick up a nugget or two but for me, the main reason to go is the networking with other businesses, Tourism Division people, etc. I met the PR guy who promoted B & Bs for Vets through Tourism Conferences. Saw him again just yesterday. Also on the shuttle back to the parking lot was a lady from the Trans-Alleg heny Lu ni tic As sylum. I told her I sent guests to her and she knew it. We may be working a deal for my guests. THAT is the value of attending things like Tourism Day, workshops, and Conferences.

Speaking of fancy
Last night I had a nightmare. I was staying at a B&B and it was all cluttered with bric-a-brac, the place was falling apart around them, they had 5 wiener-dogs, so towels and blankets over all the furniture and served little debbie's as afternoon refreshments. The hosts had yellow teeth.
I should laugh at this, but guests tell me all the time of these real experiences!
*(Photo is our Claiborne House double dark chocolate brownies, not dry, not crumbly...Got Milk?)
Dark%20Choco%20Claiborne%20House%20BrowniesFB800.jpg

Speaking of fancy
Last night I had a nightmare. I was staying at a B&B and it was all cluttered with bric-a-brac, the place was falling apart around them, they had 5 wiener-dogs, so towels and blankets over all the furniture and served little debbie's as afternoon refreshments. The hosts had yellow teeth.
I should laugh at this, but guests tell me all the time of these real experiences!
*(Photo is our Claiborne House double dark chocolate brownies, not dry, not crumbly...Got Milk?)
Did you wake up screaming in a cold sweat? That sounds like a Chevy Chase movie!

Speaking of fancy
Did you wake up screaming in a cold sweat? That sounds like a Chevy Chase movie!
K9 said:
YES!

Boy, did this thread get hijacked!
I hope someone enjoyed the photos of the place settings... ;-).
Loved all the photos. The other Innkeeper & I are always at odds about how to set the table. So, I sent her that link so we could get some ideas on how to make the table pop. Also, great information for staging a photo shoot. We wouldn't do our tables this fancy, but for a picture it would look great.
So, here's a question for everyone... Would you put a breakfast photo on your website that is much more fancy (place-setting wise) than what the guest would actually get when they dined with you even if the meal was something that you'd serve? Or would you be a stickler and not want to imply that you are fancier than what they'll actually experience?

Loved all the photos. The other Innkeeper & I are always at odds about how to set the table. So, I sent her that link so we could get some ideas on how to make the table pop. Also, great information for staging a photo shoot. We wouldn't do our tables this fancy, but for a picture it would look great.
So, here's a question for everyone... Would you put a breakfast photo on your website that is much more fancy (place-setting wise) than what the guest would actually get when they dined with you even if the meal was something that you'd serve? Or would you be a stickler and not want to imply that you are fancier than what they'll actually experience?
I'd try to make the photo realistic. Maybe after you decide on the place setting upgrades you'll have a photo that is what your guests will see.

I had a chap here the other day and he asked what was for breakfast, he said and I quote "I saw the photos on your website, but what do you serve?"
I said, What I showed on the website. I think he has had that happen, what you mention, and or stock photos. At first I felt kind of taken aback, then realized where he was coming from.
Just remember when you see that big juicy bigmac photo, the perfect lettuce, the perfect cheese hanging out over the sides, then you order it and get a smashed up hard bun burger. As for us, all of us here, we switch things out, so what one guest has another may not have. Why? Let's see I have a larger setting, smaller setting, some food I like on a big plate, some on a small plate. And then interchangeable. Or whatever grabs me.

I used to do the whole place setting thing for the food photos until I figured out that I can do a single photo of the dining room and then just focus all the other pix on the food.
We do not 'set places' here ala the photos we've been looking at. That is just so not our model. I have funky cotton tablecloths that I make, a napkin and the silverware on top of the napkin. You (the guest) grab your own coffee mug and coffee and your own juice (in whatever mismatched juice glass is on the tray). And that's that for place settings.
On the tables are eclectic salt & pepper shakers, old sugar bowls with packs of sugar and flower pots with Trivia cards.
The saying around here is- if it can't go in the dishwasher (either too delicate or too tall or too wide) then it doesn't get purchased.
I find that the food photographs a lot better on a plain white plate than if I use our decorated plates.

I had a chap here the other day and he asked what was for breakfast, he said and I quote "I saw the photos on your website, but what do you serve?"
I said, What I showed on the website. I think he has had that happen, what you mention, and or stock photos. At first I felt kind of taken aback, then realized where he was coming from.
Just remember when you see that big juicy bigmac photo, the perfect lettuce, the perfect cheese hanging out over the sides, then you order it and get a smashed up hard bun burger. As for us, all of us here, we switch things out, so what one guest has another may not have. Why? Let's see I have a larger setting, smaller setting, some food I like on a big plate, some on a small plate. And then interchangeable. Or whatever grabs me.
Joey Bloggs said:
That is just sad.

K9 said:
My photos are how I set the table - chargers, wine goblet for juice, water goblet, dinner plate, either banana split or sherbet goblet for fruit compote, napkin in ring, silver, glass knife rests, cup & saucer. IF English muffin bread is on the menu, there is a bread plate with a butter spreader, a steak knife tucked under the bread plate, and a domed individual butter dish.

We did the "fancy" place settings here with china, silver, crystal, knife rests, chargers, etc. Changed up the linens, china service, and flatware. It fit with our historic neighborhood and this house.
I also love to stay where they might use pottery or brightly colored Fiesta! Whatever works!

I probably wouldn't stray too far from what is typical for your place. I wouldn't do fancy if that's not going to be their experience there. Even simple settings can photograph fabulously by focusing on the food and not the entire table.

Back