Some Hotels Consider Charging for Wi-Fi...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I've experienced higher usage from our guests and now am paying $100 per month for our satellite internet. We still have to warn them to please, no streaming videos, movies, youtube, etc. We are limited to 5 gig per week and the speed is not fast either. There is no other option for us except satellite. It's a big drag, but we have to offer it.
As the article stated, more ipads, nearly every website has streaming commercials, etc. It all adds up and then you get the folks streaming movies too. I have a feeling that more and more ISPs will start charging for usage instead of unlimited.

Last week I went to a hotel with my family for 3 days in out of town. We stay in a hotel and I have to use an internet but I was getting a slow interent speed. I asked a hotel management for a slow speed and they replied that they are not providing a faster speed for free. I surprised and then ask for a fast internet speed prices. They said it is $15. I feel it is quite expensive but I used it. The colclusion is why they are asking for such a huge amount when I am already paying a price for complete hotel aminities. Still have a question for me. Also ask them for a New kitchen cabinets and they will again tell you the various prices for that. Aahh..this is really hectic.

I've experienced higher usage from our guests and now am paying $100 per month for our satellite internet. We still have to warn them to please, no streaming videos, movies, youtube, etc. We are limited to 5 gig per week and the speed is not fast either. There is no other option for us except satellite. It's a big drag, but we have to offer it.
As the article stated, more ipads, nearly every website has streaming commercials, etc. It all adds up and then you get the folks streaming movies too. I have a feeling that more and more ISPs will start charging for usage instead of unlimited..
We have a limited ISP account because it works out a lot cheaper than unlimited. Our limit is 60gb and so far this has been plenty, average usage is 1gb a day.
I do keep an eye on it though becuase once you go over the 60gb limit they really hit you with charges, £5 per 5gb.
It's free overnight (12pm - 8am) so if I'm downloading large files, movies, etc, I leave it running overnight.
Due to our telephone connection and being in a rural area our line speed averages around 6mb so that limits the amount of damage guests can do to our monthly usage.
We pay about £22 a month, that's 60gb limit on a 8mb line, plus all land line phone calls and line rental.

As the article stated, more ipads, nearly every website has streaming commercials, etc. It all adds up and then you get the folks streaming movies too. I have a feeling that more and more ISPs will start charging for usage instead of unlimited..
We have a limited ISP account because it works out a lot cheaper than unlimited. Our limit is 60gb and so far this has been plenty, average usage is 1gb a day.
I do keep an eye on it though becuase once you go over the 60gb limit they really hit you with charges, £5 per 5gb.
It's free overnight (12pm - 8am) so if I'm downloading large files, movies, etc, I leave it running overnight.
Due to our telephone connection and being in a rural area our line speed averages around 6mb so that limits the amount of damage guests can do to our monthly usage.
We pay about £22 a month, that's 60gb limit on a 8mb line, plus all land line phone calls and line rental.
Ours just drops the signal when it gets overwhelmed. Sigh. I was sending photos to some friends the other day when a msg popped up that the internet signal was lost, and that the emails may not have gone out.

Highlands John said:
I wish I got that many gb and your speed. We get 5 gb per week and the highest speed which rarely happens is only 1.5 mb. With that low speed you can't skype, video conference or anything else that takes a fast connect. It's outrageous to have to pay $100 a month for such terrible service, but we have no other option except dial-up.

Mind you on the other hand it does give us all a leg up over the hotels - again
ie one more thing BB's do for you that hotels don't

Highlands John said:
I wish I got that many gb and your speed. We get 5 gb per week and the highest speed which rarely happens is only 1.5 mb. With that low speed you can't skype, video conference or anything else that takes a fast connect. It's outrageous to have to pay $100 a month for such terrible service, but we have no other option except dial-up.
Blimey. $100 for a dial-up, I thought the Highlands were behind the times.

Highlands John said:
The $100 per month is for the satellite internet we have with bad speed and limited gigs. Our only other option is my location is dial-up (which is not an option these days).

Highlands John said:
The $100 per month is for the satellite internet we have with bad speed and limited gigs. Our only other option is my location is dial-up (which is not an option these days).
ah, sorry.

BD, I will no longer fuss over our bill OR our service. The good news is that things improve by the day, hope your options broaden as well.
Back on the subject, this topic keeps appearing but I have not experienced paying for service at the places I have traveled in the last year. The hotels I visit are typical middle of the road hotels, not the Ritz.
The only one of the places I have stayed limited how much data I could view/download without paying an additional fee. This was the first time at a Cand lewoo d and it is really geared for the long term guest with weekly room service, limited TV (unless you pay-per-view) etc. I was not impressed even though it was brand new and the price was reasonable even for a one night stay, it was a dressed to the 9's Motel # - with cheap beds & bedding. The beds & bedding is where I want the $ spent - my back demands it!
People have gotten so hooked on amenities they forget the reason they are spending the $ in the first place is SLEEP and good sleep quality!

BD, I will no longer fuss over our bill OR our service. The good news is that things improve by the day, hope your options broaden as well.
Back on the subject, this topic keeps appearing but I have not experienced paying for service at the places I have traveled in the last year. The hotels I visit are typical middle of the road hotels, not the Ritz.
The only one of the places I have stayed limited how much data I could view/download without paying an additional fee. This was the first time at a Cand lewoo d and it is really geared for the long term guest with weekly room service, limited TV (unless you pay-per-view) etc. I was not impressed even though it was brand new and the price was reasonable even for a one night stay, it was a dressed to the 9's Motel # - with cheap beds & bedding. The beds & bedding is where I want the $ spent - my back demands it!
People have gotten so hooked on amenities they forget the reason they are spending the $ in the first place is SLEEP and good sleep quality!.
copperhead said:
People have gotten so hooked on amenities they forget the reason they are spending the $ in the first place is SLEEP and good sleep quality!
Yep, so true. I've had people complain becuase they said the internet was too slow that they couldn't watch TV over it.
1) It's a B&B not an internet cafe
2) It's a free service and it's suppled for basic browsing, not streaming
3) We're on the faster speed available in this area.

I used OpenDNS where you can limit certain types of traffic at the DNS level. (They would have to have the technical ability to change DNS, most people don't.) And you can use that to block streaming, adult stuff, etc.

Back