Someone Wrote A Response For Me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Isn't it nice when other guests write a review and contradict a previous reviewers criticism!
I had a review last week where the guest said that our website gives the impression we are on the lake side. I thought about replying but as they otherwise spoke very highly of us and gave us 5/5, plus there are quite a few reviews appearing this time of year I decided not to.
This weekend I had another, saying they thought we were on the lake side of the road. Now I thought I must reply and thinking about it I'm sure it's goo glem aps that's causing the problem, the layout of our postcode area is strange all the other houses with our code are on the other side of the road, we're the only house on this side of the road with our postcode. So goo glem aps shows us on the other side of the road, by the lake.
I sat down to write a response this morning, but low and behold I have two more reviews, one says "the location is amazing" the other says "so near to lake xxxx".
Have the new reviewers read the previous ones and felt they were unjust? I like to think so.
I'm sure it wont take long to bury these two reviews so I'm just going to leave it.

Hi John, Can I turn the tables a bit?
From your site I might think you are right on the loch with it at your property line. Your site says on Loch .... You have great pictures in your photo gallery. I'd pick a large one or take one to show your place and the loch in the same view so people will know . And I'd say 'Right across the road from Loch ...' in script under your name.
It's a great place but when two guests in a row mention something I'd make a change.
Guests often don't read much beyond the first few lines ...
Wish I could've found your place when I was in Scotland two years ago!

HJ, a couple of years ago I took the advice from several on this site who say to respond to every review. It provides another spot to market your place and at times to straighten out a possible misconception.

While you have had other reviews that you think have answered the previous one, it is always best to answer directly because people do tend to skip over reviews.

As SS mentioned, one single word on your site can cause confusion. Pictures say 1000 words.

And just so you know, I get it! My city name is the same as a water way here. Both potential and real guests have said they thought we were ON the water. I searched and searched to find what wording could possibly give that impression, and the only thing I can come up with is that under our B&B name is the city name. No pictures of that body of water except on my page with attractions.
Sometimes you can fix things but you can't fix stupid!

New member chiming in...
I am just wondering if you have a location page on your website? Seems that could clear it all up. When we travel that is the first thing we look at to make sure we are going to be staying in the right place for our journey.

HJ, a couple of years ago I took the advice from several on this site who say to respond to every review. It provides another spot to market your place and at times to straighten out a possible misconception.

While you have had other reviews that you think have answered the previous one, it is always best to answer directly because people do tend to skip over reviews.

As SS mentioned, one single word on your site can cause confusion. Pictures say 1000 words.

And just so you know, I get it! My city name is the same as a water way here. Both potential and real guests have said they thought we were ON the water. I searched and searched to find what wording could possibly give that impression, and the only thing I can come up with is that under our B&B name is the city name. No pictures of that body of water except on my page with attractions.
Sometimes you can fix things but you can't fix stupid!.
we are literally the width of a street from a particular attraction if I had a pound for every person who says "I didn't realise you were this close" or "we read on your web site you were 8 meters away but we didn't believe it" - so even the ones that read aren't immune!

Google is very good at changing your location when you tell them about it. I did mine a long time ago so I don't know exactly where to send you, but try starting with your google biz page (google+)

I like the idea of a photo, if possible showing the building and the water AND the roadway.
Google used to move us a lot at the beginning. Nice as they moved us to a waterfront property, albeit in another town.
Then, when a larger store went in on 'West Main St' (same number, different street) Google moved us there.
GPS units haven't caught up. To either wrong location. I have to ask what they can see out the window to know which wrong location they are at.
Also, for years, the inn across the street said they had water views. So anyone doing research asked us for a room with a water view. When I said we didn't have one they asked about the other inn's view.
And, another inn creatively cropped a photo so it looked like they were on the water. I think it was just the way the photos lined up, but same deal, if they have water views why don't we.
We have a nicely drawn map on our site on the directions page that shows the location of the water in relation to us. (1 mile as the crow flies.) Maybe you could have someone do a nice map. Showing the building, the road, the lake, a picnic basket, etc.

I like the idea of a photo, if possible showing the building and the water AND the roadway.
Google used to move us a lot at the beginning. Nice as they moved us to a waterfront property, albeit in another town.
Then, when a larger store went in on 'West Main St' (same number, different street) Google moved us there.
GPS units haven't caught up. To either wrong location. I have to ask what they can see out the window to know which wrong location they are at.
Also, for years, the inn across the street said they had water views. So anyone doing research asked us for a room with a water view. When I said we didn't have one they asked about the other inn's view.
And, another inn creatively cropped a photo so it looked like they were on the water. I think it was just the way the photos lined up, but same deal, if they have water views why don't we.
We have a nicely drawn map on our site on the directions page that shows the location of the water in relation to us. (1 mile as the crow flies.) Maybe you could have someone do a nice map. Showing the building, the road, the lake, a picnic basket, etc..
Morticia said:
We have a nicely drawn map on our site on the directions page that shows the location of the water in relation to us. (1 mile as the crow flies.) Maybe you could have someone do a nice map. Showing the building, the road, the lake, a picnic basket, etc.
The best way to achieve this is to embed the google map, satellite view on your website. It will show your b&b with name and it's close location to the water. No one can argue with that!

I must have jinxed myself. Just got my 1st Air inquiry. The question was Do you have a fishing dock? Sigh!

dup

We have a nicely drawn map on our site on the directions page that shows the location of the water in relation to us. (1 mile as the crow flies.) Maybe you could have someone do a nice map. Showing the building, the road, the lake, a picnic basket, etc..
Morticia said:
The best way to achieve this is to embed the google map, satellite view on your website. It will show your b&b with name and it's close location to the water. No one can argue with that!
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Good idea. Except...there are 3-5 inns/hotels that show up on the map with me. If I was on this street by myself, no problem!

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Good idea. Except...there are 3-5 inns/hotels that show up on the map with me. If I was on this street by myself, no problem!
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
go to google.com/mymaps
Add a marker where your inn is, then zoom out to where you can see the water. At that size you don't see any of the other businesses. It gives an overall look at where you are. If you don't want them to actually zoom in on the map, then just use a screen shot of the map and put that on your website.

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Striking theme has a nice responsive embed map widget. See my Directions page.

Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about creating my own location page with a correct goog lem ap (we do appear in the right location on goog lemaps), will definately do that now. We are surround by trees and water so it's nigh on impossible to take a photo of the house, road and water.
I'm not going down the road of replying to every review. I've seen people that do and when people try to individualise replies I think it looks grovelling and a little invasive, and when they don't personalise all the replies end up saying basically the same thing so it looks like a rubber stamp. If I reply to these two reviews it will draw attention to them, when in a couple of weeks they'll be down to page 3+ and most no-one will ever read them. Not that there's any great need to hide them as they are both great reviews. 5/5s
Actually I think the biggest problem is TA itself who's goo glem ap shows us in our postcode location, I spent much time a couple of years ago trying to get this corrected, I edited our location several times but after a couple of days it just went back to the original location. I tried contacting TA but they weren't interested and just said there was nothing they could do.
Let's put this into perspective people, it's only the 2nd and 3rd time that someone has said this to us in 12 years and 580+ reviews.
shades_smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about creating my own location page with a correct goog lem ap (we do appear in the right location on goog lemaps), will definately do that now. We are surround by trees and water so it's nigh on impossible to take a photo of the house, road and water.
I'm not going down the road of replying to every review. I've seen people that do and when people try to individualise replies I think it looks grovelling and a little invasive, and when they don't personalise all the replies end up saying basically the same thing so it looks like a rubber stamp. If I reply to these two reviews it will draw attention to them, when in a couple of weeks they'll be down to page 3+ and most no-one will ever read them. Not that there's any great need to hide them as they are both great reviews. 5/5s
Actually I think the biggest problem is TA itself who's goo glem ap shows us in our postcode location, I spent much time a couple of years ago trying to get this corrected, I edited our location several times but after a couple of days it just went back to the original location. I tried contacting TA but they weren't interested and just said there was nothing they could do.
Let's put this into perspective people, it's only the 2nd and 3rd time that someone has said this to us in 12 years and 580+ reviews.
shades_smile.gif
Ooops, sorry, I just noticed that I posted this thread in the wrong topic.

shades_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
shades_smile.gif
So another one of those 'making a mountain out of a mole hill' moments.

shades_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
shades_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
shades_smile.gif
More of a "we don't re-write our policies because of 1 or 2 people" moment.
teeth_smile.gif

shades_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
shades_smile.gif
I guess it was the control freak in you that made you start this post to begin with. I still think a locations page is a good idear.

shades_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
shades_smile.gif
I guess it was the control freak in you that made you start this post to begin with. I still think a locations page is a good idear.
I just thought it was interesting that people look at other reviews and tailor their review when they see comments that they think are unjust.
I didn't know there was a problem until people started posting solutions.
omg_smile.gif

Back