Someone's been clicking me !!!!! ..... or ..... why TA drives me nuts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
OK - "someone" (and thanks to all of you that have .... because I know it's YOU) has been clicking "review helpful buttons on TA.
We just got our 9th 5 "button" review and we are still at 4.5 in the overall ranking. Honestly - it drives me bonkers. I have a streak of paranoia that would rank up there with almost anyone and everytime I see my number of reviews has gone up my heart sinks because I KNOW that someone has finally decided to reveal the fact that they hated my quirkiness, they didn't appreciate (fill in the blank).
It's coming, that "well, it wasn't what we hoped .... the quiche was cold .... ", I know it is, so I would absolutely love to have a temporary "day in the sun" period when I can finally see those five buttons in a glorious shining row. How many reviews on TA did it take you until you got your row of shiny ones?????

Don't fret about it. Just take it as it comes. I have one fellow who has an absolute fit if he doesn't get all 5's..and wants to respond to al of them. I tell him NO! It is not worth the grief and extra time. No need unless there is a real issue that does need addressed. You can't be ALL CONSUMED with TA..REALLY;-)

TA may not run the calculation to produce the average on an ongoing basis. They may only run that caclulation once a month. It would help mask the influence of any one event. Google and the other search engiens do the same thing. If the effects were immediate, it would be too easy to see how the system works.

20+ 5-star reviews to balance out the 4-4 stars we had. We're up to something like 30+ reviews now and were going along with 5 full stars until we got a 2-star rating. That dropped us back to 4.5.
If I had to guess, I'd say you have to have not so much a run of 5 stars as some % of 5 stars to 4 stars. For me, it seems like a 5:1 ratio. 5- 5 stars to 1-4 star to get the 5 star rating. But probably not with JUST 5-6 reviews. Once you get quite few more reviews, you should hit the solid 5-star rating you deserve.

TA may not run the calculation to produce the average on an ongoing basis. They may only run that caclulation once a month. It would help mask the influence of any one event. Google and the other search engiens do the same thing. If the effects were immediate, it would be too easy to see how the system works..
swirt said:
TA may not run the calculation to produce the average on an ongoing basis. They may only run that caclulation once a month. It would help mask the influence of any one event. Google and the other search engiens do the same thing. If the effects were immediate, it would be too easy to see how the system works.
That could be, or not. We just got a 2-star rating and the 5 stars we had across the board dropped overnight to 4.5. It could be it was time to redo the calc, but the recalc, I think, just happened a few weeks ago, when we went from 4.5 up to a full 5 stars. And a bunch of us did that all at once, so it was definitely a recalc. And a couple of inns swapped positions at the same time.

20+ 5-star reviews to balance out the 4-4 stars we had. We're up to something like 30+ reviews now and were going along with 5 full stars until we got a 2-star rating. That dropped us back to 4.5.
If I had to guess, I'd say you have to have not so much a run of 5 stars as some % of 5 stars to 4 stars. For me, it seems like a 5:1 ratio. 5- 5 stars to 1-4 star to get the 5 star rating. But probably not with JUST 5-6 reviews. Once you get quite few more reviews, you should hit the solid 5-star rating you deserve..
What you described is could just the be the rounding rule at play.
With a 0.5 star increment system, and normal rounding, it means that you'd need a 4.75 or above in order to get rounded up to 5.
20 @ 5 plus 4 @ 4 is an average of 4.83 Would round to 5
regular_smile.gif

20 @ 5 plus 4 @ 2 1 @ 2 is an average of 4.72 would round to 4.5
sad_smile.gif

Add in to that the notion that newer values carry more weight and it could more than explain what you saw.
And their math might intentionally be funny...well not so much the math, but the rounding rule. They could decide to build in a little safety by making the rounding rule have a little bias, As in you need a 4.8 before it rounds to 5
confused_smile.gif

We have had guests tell us they reviewed us on TA but when i go there, i see we have no reviews at all! why is this? The same ones who say they will review on TA also say they will review on other sites like the ........ and when i go there they have, so I'm pretty sure they did the TA too. But why does it always say "be the first to rate this B&B" when I check it?

We have had guests tell us they reviewed us on TA but when i go there, i see we have no reviews at all! why is this? The same ones who say they will review on TA also say they will review on other sites like the ........ and when i go there they have, so I'm pretty sure they did the TA too. But why does it always say "be the first to rate this B&B" when I check it?.
Sunshine said:
We have had guests tell us they reviewed us on TA but when i go there, i see we have no reviews at all! why is this? The same ones who say they will review on TA also say they will review on other sites like the ........ and when i go there they have, so I'm pretty sure they did the TA too. But why does it always say "be the first to rate this B&B" when I check it?
Probably because the guest has not received or followed the directions in the email the received (or didn't receive) back from TA. You have to verify you wrote the review and you stayed at the inn.

If I had to guess, I'd say you have to have not so much a run of 5 stars as some % of 5 stars to 4 stars. For me, it seems like a 5:1 ratio. 5- 5 stars to 1-4 star to get the 5 star rating. But probably not with JUST 5-6 reviews. Once you get quite few more reviews, you should hit the solid 5-star rating you deserve..
With a 0.5 star increment system, and normal rounding, it means that you'd need a 4.75 or above in order to get rounded up to 5.
regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Add in to that the notion that newer values carry more weight and it could more than explain what you saw.
And their math might intentionally be funny...well not so much the math, but the rounding rule. They could decide to build in a little safety by making the rounding rule have a little bias, As in you need a 4.8 before it rounds to 5
confused_smile.gif

I think my point was that it happened almost immediately. The day after I saw the review in fact, which would make it less than a week since the date of the review.

We have had guests tell us they reviewed us on TA but when i go there, i see we have no reviews at all! why is this? The same ones who say they will review on TA also say they will review on other sites like the ........ and when i go there they have, so I'm pretty sure they did the TA too. But why does it always say "be the first to rate this B&B" when I check it?.
Sunshine said:
Probably because the guest has not received or followed the directions in the email the received (or didn't receive) back from TA. You have to verify you wrote the review and you stayed at the inn.
that must be it! Thanks.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

I think my point was that it happened almost immediately. The day after I saw the review in fact, which would make it less than a week since the date of the review.
Ahh...I see what you were saying. We'd need more data to say for sure. Like you said, could have just been that the update happened coincidentally around that time, or it could help define that things are recalculated continually. Need more data points ;)

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Ahh...I see what you were saying. We'd need more data to say for sure. Like you said, could have just been that the update happened coincidentally around that time, or it could help define that things are recalculated continually. Need more data points ;)
swirt said:
Take a look at the 2 inns in positions 1 & 2. They just swapped places today. That's 2 corrections in a week.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
Take a look at the 2 inns in positions 1 & 2. They just swapped places today. That's 2 corrections in a week.
Possibly. Or it is two different things. One update of star count and one update of the ranking. The rank ordering is not 100% tied to star count as far as I can tell. It is possible they all update continuously, but it is just as possible that they update them on different schedules.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
Possibly. Or it is two different things. One update of star count and one update of the ranking. The rank ordering is not 100% tied to star count as far as I can tell. It is possible they all update continuously, but it is just as possible that they update them on different schedules.
Nothing to do with what we were talking about but it's an annoying observation on TA...I didn't think you could review multiple places in one review. I was looking at other places in town and one reviewer went on and on about how boring it is here and how she would rather take her young, bored family to another town and stay at this other place instead. And then she named the town and the other hotel.
I thought that was taboo. For me it's annoying. Why do I want to know that someone who hasn't a clue how to entertain themselves if the room doesn't have a phone is bored, the TV only got 3 channels (again with the 'boring') and wouldn't let her kid play on the playground because it was 'old'? And the only place there is to eat in the whole town is McD's and Friendlys. Hmmmm. I can tell you exactly how far down Main St they drove. 10 feet. Then they were so bored they had to stop.
Sorry, I guess those things are important to know if you've decided you'd like to try a rustic cabin in the woods but don't realize what that actually means. And it IS rustic out there.
I'm having fun trying to figure people out with the reviews. Average rate stated on TA for another place (a hotel) is $132. My average price stated on TA is a smidge higher, about 1/2 the cost of a single breakfast at a diner. What does everyone complain about on that hotel's reviews? The breakfast. It was just a continental. Go figure. It's too far out of town to walk to restaurants. It's too far away to walk to anything. Funniest one was that they relocated the hotel to an entirely different town about 15 miles away. So, yes, it IS too far to walk!
But some did like that all the hallways are inside the building so it's 'safe' for single females.
So, for a couple of dollars more they could stay here, in town, walk to everything, have a full breakfast AND, amazingly, have interior hallways! But do they? No. It's easier to complain and 'settle' than to try something new.
OK, here's another review that says there's no place to eat in this town, 'everything is closed until spring.' Not sure WHAT town they were in but not much closes here in the winter. No, the stores were all closed until spring. The restaurants were all closed so they HAD to eat in the hotel. People are funny.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
Nothing to do with what we were talking about but it's an annoying observation on TA...I didn't think you could review multiple places in one review. I was looking at other places in town and one reviewer went on and on about how boring it is here and how she would rather take her young, bored family to another town and stay at this other place instead. And then she named the town and the other hotel.
I thought that was taboo. For me it's annoying. Why do I want to know that someone who hasn't a clue how to entertain themselves if the room doesn't have a phone is bored, the TV only got 3 channels (again with the 'boring') and wouldn't let her kid play on the playground because it was 'old'? And the only place there is to eat in the whole town is McD's and Friendlys. Hmmmm. I can tell you exactly how far down Main St they drove. 10 feet. Then they were so bored they had to stop.
Sorry, I guess those things are important to know if you've decided you'd like to try a rustic cabin in the woods but don't realize what that actually means. And it IS rustic out there.
I'm having fun trying to figure people out with the reviews. Average rate stated on TA for another place (a hotel) is $132. My average price stated on TA is a smidge higher, about 1/2 the cost of a single breakfast at a diner. What does everyone complain about on that hotel's reviews? The breakfast. It was just a continental. Go figure. It's too far out of town to walk to restaurants. It's too far away to walk to anything. Funniest one was that they relocated the hotel to an entirely different town about 15 miles away. So, yes, it IS too far to walk!
But some did like that all the hallways are inside the building so it's 'safe' for single females.
So, for a couple of dollars more they could stay here, in town, walk to everything, have a full breakfast AND, amazingly, have interior hallways! But do they? No. It's easier to complain and 'settle' than to try something new.
OK, here's another review that says there's no place to eat in this town, 'everything is closed until spring.' Not sure WHAT town they were in but not much closes here in the winter. No, the stores were all closed until spring. The restaurants were all closed so they HAD to eat in the hotel. People are funny.
People ARE funny! That has been my mantra since we opened the B&B.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
swirt said:
and of course by that you don't mean funny ha ha

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
swirt said:
Well I try to keep the spirit of the Mantra, meaning funny ha ha. But usually doesn't end up that way :)

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
I noticed in my weekly TA update that a review about the local chain hotel mentioned both our B&B and the local independent hotel as alternatives to that chain. I was surprised to see that, too - but it must be allowed. Maybe that's a rule change?

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

swirt said:
swirt said:
Well I try to keep the spirit of the Mantra, meaning funny ha ha. But usually doesn't end up that way :)
swirt said:
They are only funny ha ha when they leave and it becomes a funny guest story under your belt, like our sleep walker - aka Mrs Robinson. Well that is what she is called around DH anyway. lol

Sunshine said:
that must be it! Thanks.
Hey, they showed up today and both are raving reviews! Both 5 stars. yay,my first reviews!
Yeah, after reading this thread I know it will fluctuate but hey... I'll enjoy it while it lasts!!!!

Back