Something I don't understand

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Hi all,
yet another review on tripa dvisor states that a review was made by a friend?
None of these guests are friends of ours. Doesn't that look strange to someone reading this a review from a friend? Or do I look at this the wrong way?

Can you cut and paste the line that says the review was written by a friend? The only time I see 'friend' or 'couple' is under 'trip type' where the guest selects who they traveled with. It doesn't mean they're your friends, it means they traveled with friends.

Can you cut and paste the line that says the review was written by a friend? The only time I see 'friend' or 'couple' is under 'trip type' where the guest selects who they traveled with. It doesn't mean they're your friends, it means they traveled with friends..
Madeleine said:
Can you cut and paste the line that says the review was written by a friend? The only time I see 'friend' or 'couple' is under 'trip type' where the guest selects who they traveled with. It doesn't mean they're your friends, it means they traveled with friends.
Ugh, you are correct. I only read what I wanted to read. Yes of course this make more sense. It is under "trip type"

I don't like this whole TA thing, period.
It seems that every time someone posts a review, the TA peeps jump into action and tell my competition in town that they should step up and get some reviews. So she calls on one of her many family members (I happen to know their names) and has them post an outstanding review. Ugggh. and so it goes on and perpetuates the dishonest reviews

It seems that every time someone posts a review, the TA peeps jump into action and tell my competition in town that they should step up and get some reviews. So she calls on one of her many family members (I happen to know their names) and has them post an outstanding review. Ugggh. and so it goes on and perpetuates the dishonest reviews.
Well that's awful.

It seems that every time someone posts a review, the TA peeps jump into action and tell my competition in town that they should step up and get some reviews. So she calls on one of her many family members (I happen to know their names) and has them post an outstanding review. Ugggh. and so it goes on and perpetuates the dishonest reviews.
Send me a PM and some info and I'll see if I can help. We've actually managed to catch one of the locals and his shenanigans.

Personally, Tripadvisor is a joke about having true guests reviews. The way it's set up anyone of us could call family and friends and post reviews about us. You can always tell the properties that have. The reviews sound like an advertisement, rather than a review. Personally, I have talked to many guests during breakfast conversations about tripadvisor and they all agree. Many don't even look anymore because the reviews are not verified.

Personally, Tripadvisor is a joke about having true guests reviews. The way it's set up anyone of us could call family and friends and post reviews about us. You can always tell the properties that have. The reviews sound like an advertisement, rather than a review. Personally, I have talked to many guests during breakfast conversations about tripadvisor and they all agree. Many don't even look anymore because the reviews are not verified..
Bob, there is a tipping point and as someone who has a lot of reviews, I can tell you that a LOT of people find me that way. They also trust the reviews because of how many there are. But I can tell you that I have at least one fake review... and it isn't a 5* or a 4* it's a low one, we even had a fight with T/A about it and they removed it once and then allowed them to repost it hiding the agenda behind the review. People who are vindictive write fake reviews! The worst are the reviews that basically show you how stupid the author is. And take my word for it, there are a lot of stupid people out there who don't seem to see that their review shows them in the worst light possible.
Fake reviews are a blight. And people who have them written about their property are the worst. The problem is that T/A isn't severe enough with them.

Personally, Tripadvisor is a joke about having true guests reviews. The way it's set up anyone of us could call family and friends and post reviews about us. You can always tell the properties that have. The reviews sound like an advertisement, rather than a review. Personally, I have talked to many guests during breakfast conversations about tripadvisor and they all agree. Many don't even look anymore because the reviews are not verified..
Bob said:
Personally, Tripadvisor is a joke about having true guests reviews. The way it's set up anyone of us could call family and friends and post reviews about us. You can always tell the properties that have. The reviews sound like an advertisement, rather than a review. Personally, I have talked to many guests during breakfast conversations about tripadvisor and they all agree. Many don't even look anymore because the reviews are not verified.
Our guests always tell me they read the reviews and that was part of the reason they booked a room with us. None of them know or feel the reviews are false. We had a new review this week that DOES sound like an advertisement, and it is a real guest who stayed 3 days and loved it here. I sure hope no one thinks that her review was false!!! All of ours are real deal. But we don't have 1000, we only have like 55 or something.

Well I have to disagree whole heartedly on this. My friends have over 600 reviews on TA. All of them tops. They have been on TA's best of the best for 7 years in a row. Who else does that? They do no advertising. Don't play the FB or Twit games, no blog to speak of, yet they are book solid!!! They owe it all to TA and they will be the first to tell you so.

Well I have to disagree whole heartedly on this. My friends have over 600 reviews on TA. All of them tops. They have been on TA's best of the best for 7 years in a row. Who else does that? They do no advertising. Don't play the FB or Twit games, no blog to speak of, yet they are book solid!!! They owe it all to TA and they will be the first to tell you so.
EmptyNest said:
thumbs_up.gif

They are my heroes in the TA world!

EmptyNest said:
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
EmptyNest said:
thumbs_up.gif

So true. And they really do deserve those reviews!

I'm not saying everyone is like that. Don't take my comments the wrong way. I do beleive a property has the ability to boost reviews if they choose to. We all know what guests have had a really great time and the ones that do not. We all have the chance to contact those guests and ask them to review us. There is nothing wrong with that but you can tell the properties that do do that and the ones that do not. It's just my opinion that a review should be verified to be a true review. I just think there could be some improvements. That's all. I'm not trying to pick a fight! :)

Bob said:
Our guests always tell me they read the reviews and that was part of the reason they booked a room with us. None of them know or feel the reviews are false. We had a new review this week that DOES sound like an advertisement, and it is a real guest who stayed 3 days and loved it here. I sure hope no one thinks that her review was false!!! All of ours are real deal. But we don't have 1000, we only have like 55 or something.
We have a neighbour who fights very hard for her trip adviser position ie rings every customer she knows had a nice time to push them to do a review - however she does very little advertising as she is always in the top 3. People often say they pick us for our reviews.

I'm not saying everyone is like that. Don't take my comments the wrong way. I do beleive a property has the ability to boost reviews if they choose to. We all know what guests have had a really great time and the ones that do not. We all have the chance to contact those guests and ask them to review us. There is nothing wrong with that but you can tell the properties that do do that and the ones that do not. It's just my opinion that a review should be verified to be a true review. I just think there could be some improvements. That's all. I'm not trying to pick a fight! :)
Even with verified reviews, there's no way to weed out those that are family & friends. They are real people. More than likely have stayed at the property. They would be verified just as any other real person.
I have more of a problem with people who are just being vindictive because the innkeeper sticks to their policies. We have fabulous glowing reviews that could look fake because they're so wonderful. Then we have the 5 nasty, vindictive, slamming reviews because people don't take responsibility for their actions. Over and over, our guests comment on those few bad reviews and laugh. They see right through them and can't believe people can be like that. Most people will see through the nonsense on TA and other review sites, but it still hurts to the core when that bad one comes in.

Even with verified reviews, there's no way to weed out those that are family & friends. They are real people. More than likely have stayed at the property. They would be verified just as any other real person.
I have more of a problem with people who are just being vindictive because the innkeeper sticks to their policies. We have fabulous glowing reviews that could look fake because they're so wonderful. Then we have the 5 nasty, vindictive, slamming reviews because people don't take responsibility for their actions. Over and over, our guests comment on those few bad reviews and laugh. They see right through them and can't believe people can be like that. Most people will see through the nonsense on TA and other review sites, but it still hurts to the core when that bad one comes in.
Absolutely, but usually the guests usually say to me what an idiot the reviewer was. Those reviews say more about the reviewer than the property being reviewed.

Back