Something you do NOW and didn't used to do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The self check-in thing is really helping. I waited up all hours for guests the first year or so then got wise. I can't live like that. Physically, I can't do it.
Last night the guests who said 6pm arrived at 9pm. Other rooms were already in at this point.
I had been up since 7am and waited til 8pm. I say I will put a note out at 7pm, but gave them an extra hour since I was in here reading. So that was...13 hours to that point when I said "Okay I will put a note out for them."
Meanwhile we need to be human, I needed a shower bad from cleaning all day, I needed to eat, needed to dash off to the store, to spend time with MY family.
So what do I do? Allow guests who are here day in and day out to steal my family time? When we leave this business will I be happy I spent less time with my husband and kids and gave it all to the guests who didn't know, nor care I gave it to them?
So I am working on this, again, each year I set my goals. Each year I try to stick to these boundaries. Just like all boundaries, in the end it makes us all happier.
What's the bet they don't check out at 11am? It is 10am now, we need to clean that room for check in, and I forgot something so need to go back to the store...
a typical weekend at a B&B..
We had guests yesterday who were still in the room at 11:30 but their car was gone. One of them hd taken the car out. I tried the door and it was locked so I rapped pretty sharply. No answer so I went to get the spare keys. I guess the husband opened the door after I had walked away. Gomez said we didn't know they were still in the house.
She came back after that and they still didn't vacate.
Today we have folks going to a wedding. My guess is they will drag their feet as well because they have nothing to do from the time they need to leave (all dressed up) until the wedding (2 hours later).
Oh, the new thing was to just rap on the door instead of 'wondering' to each other if anyone was in the room or if they knew they were 'overdue' to leave.

We dispensed with having wine and cheese in the afternoon. We would normally do it on the patio or deck, but in Texas we have such a narrow window of pleasant weather in the Spring and in the Fall, it made it impractical.
This summer I took to offering our guests a cold beer on arrival, but had few takers. Now we only provide a bottle of wine to guests who are here two nights or more AND only if they happen to mention it's an anniversary or other special occasion..
You could take the money you spend on wine and use it to join PAII. I would not be giving a bottle of FREE wine to any guest..even if they are celebrating a special event. They can pay for it. The most they got from me was a little cake and a card. And everyone enjoyed that.

We dispensed with having wine and cheese in the afternoon. We would normally do it on the patio or deck, but in Texas we have such a narrow window of pleasant weather in the Spring and in the Fall, it made it impractical.
This summer I took to offering our guests a cold beer on arrival, but had few takers. Now we only provide a bottle of wine to guests who are here two nights or more AND only if they happen to mention it's an anniversary or other special occasion..
You could take the money you spend on wine and use it to join PAII. I would not be giving a bottle of FREE wine to any guest..even if they are celebrating a special event. They can pay for it. The most they got from me was a little cake and a card. And everyone enjoyed that.
Your little cakes...I have a lot more confidence now than I did originally so did you have a small size cake pan you used?

Your little cakes...I have a lot more confidence now than I did originally so did you have a small size cake pan you used?
Yes, I think they are Wilton 6 inch pans. I have round ones and heart shaped ones. A box mix makes several. I sliced the layer in half and spread with a seedless rasberry jam and then iced with "canned" frosting. Kept several in the freezer so I was ready to go in no time. Everyone raved..and of course " I made them!"

Guests here tonight on a package emailed to tell me they don't really care for sparkling cider and would like to have champagne instead.
Oh.
I replied and told them we do not have an ABC license and cannot give them anything alcoholic, sorry. I suggested they byo and can use the glasses set up with the cider.
I didn't ask them what they wanted or preferred, it is part of the whole package.

So now we know the late arrivals speak no English. We often have foreign names from DC, so it didn't occur to me they would not speak any English. So I have a minor flash of stress over the self check in, then thought again, ya know IF YOU CHECK IN DURING OUR CHECK IN TIMES we will get all of this. Fridays are notorious, people leave after work, then fight traffic and then interstate and accidents...
BTW the guests in the room where the other nice guests were this week are really nice. They ate breakfast and headed off for a beach music festival at our lake and then off to a small mountain town later on...no hassles at all. :)

my combination lock box for keys was the best money I ever spent anyone after 10pm (my usual bed time) can sort themselves out woo hoo. sending laundry out was an amazing move. Fully shutting this week (first time in 5 years) was exellent we have deided to shut fully for 1 week every 6 months now for renovation and deep cleaning as what we have achieved looks really good.

Guests here tonight on a package emailed to tell me they don't really care for sparkling cider and would like to have champagne instead.
Oh.
I replied and told them we do not have an ABC license and cannot give them anything alcoholic, sorry. I suggested they byo and can use the glasses set up with the cider.
I didn't ask them what they wanted or preferred, it is part of the whole package..
Oh sure...run out and buy them a $3 bottle of champagne
pita.gif

You did good. BYOB...we'll provide something for you to drink it in. :)

my combination lock box for keys was the best money I ever spent anyone after 10pm (my usual bed time) can sort themselves out woo hoo. sending laundry out was an amazing move. Fully shutting this week (first time in 5 years) was exellent we have deided to shut fully for 1 week every 6 months now for renovation and deep cleaning as what we have achieved looks really good..
my combination lock box for keys was the best money I ever spent anyone after 10pm (my usual bed time) can sort themselves out woo hoo. sending laundry out was an amazing move. Fully shutting this week (first time in 5 years) was exellent we have deided to shut fully for 1 week every 6 months now for renovation and deep cleaning as what we have achieved looks really good.
Good for you shutting down completely, it is worth it.

Not sure if this is the thread, but the one about the two couples who required the innkeeper song and dance...
Full table today. All great guests, then there is the one who requires directions to park from the front of our place, and had called all week wanting to know what there is to do around here for their 3 hours they are here after driving 10 or 11 hours.
Checking out, three couples, one who is loving every minute, in their 30's, they have the picnic lunch,flowers in the room, "stoked" might have been the term he used when he got the personalized list of picnic/hiking areas.
Then the NY couple...Instead of thank you, as I make small talk and discuss their grandkids and their journey today..." she says "We hoped you would be in THERE talking to us so we could learn more about this place"
Okay, I am here as DH is doing two dishwasher loads of dishes in the sink, kids have aprons on and have been clearing table, it takes ALL of us on a busy weekend, and if I have help I am grateful. DH is willing to do the dishes if I AM DELEGATED to the check out duty.
See how it is? It is really irritating. This woman would take and take and take and never get enough. The 30's young happy pleasant couple said "We will be on TA writing you up fer sure, recommending you, this place is awesome!"
Thank you God for the great guests we have.
Thank you God for the bad/needy guests we have so we can appreciate the great guests even more.

Not sure if this is the thread, but the one about the two couples who required the innkeeper song and dance...
Full table today. All great guests, then there is the one who requires directions to park from the front of our place, and had called all week wanting to know what there is to do around here for their 3 hours they are here after driving 10 or 11 hours.
Checking out, three couples, one who is loving every minute, in their 30's, they have the picnic lunch,flowers in the room, "stoked" might have been the term he used when he got the personalized list of picnic/hiking areas.
Then the NY couple...Instead of thank you, as I make small talk and discuss their grandkids and their journey today..." she says "We hoped you would be in THERE talking to us so we could learn more about this place"
Okay, I am here as DH is doing two dishwasher loads of dishes in the sink, kids have aprons on and have been clearing table, it takes ALL of us on a busy weekend, and if I have help I am grateful. DH is willing to do the dishes if I AM DELEGATED to the check out duty.
See how it is? It is really irritating. This woman would take and take and take and never get enough. The 30's young happy pleasant couple said "We will be on TA writing you up fer sure, recommending you, this place is awesome!"
Thank you God for the bad/needy guests we have so we can appreciate the great guests even more..
Maybe it's the open kitchen, but I don't think anyone doesn't see enough of us! They will stop me and ask their questions when I'm clearing or serving, I don't think anyone expects me to STAND there when others' brekkies need to be served. And I try to not start up a conversation when guests are eating. (This poor girl yesterday went to stand up JUST as I started talking to her friend. She plopped down in the seat and I cut my comment short. She was being polite, but she wanted to get on with HER day. And that's what I like...guests who are here to DO stuff.)
I'm guessing for today's case, they saw everyone else working and figured you were a lady of leisure.

Everyone else? Nearly choked on my own saliva. ha ha Oh no, this is AFTER breakfast is over...I was in cooking AND serving AND cleaning all morning! Like I tell VIP guests (aka innmates or friends) when I walk them into the kitchen this is the heart of the operation right here!
When the table is full and i am bringing in plates or coffee...I am not stopping to chat when they are all chatting and laughing at the table (three or four conversations going at once).
This lady has called during breakfast as well. Sorry lady no can do.
They also sat down at the table at 830AM. That is crunch time here, we have three elements going, oven going, plates lined up, juice ready...

Thank you God for the bad/needy guests we have so we can appreciate the great guests even more..
She didn't even care...you can tell she's the kind of person who just needs to find fault with something, anything. I am so glad for your sake that they are GONE...thanks for your money, see ya never!

catlady said:
I didn't say it was expensive wine.
embaressed_smile.gif
We actually found a wine that has the same name as our B&B, so it looks like we have our own private label. It's only $3.00 per bottle. Surprisingly, it's very drinkable.
Off the subject a bit, if any of you do serve wine, Blackstone wine produces a box wine called Black Box Wine that is very affordable and excellent! The Cabernet keeps very well because no air can get into the container. We just decant into a carafe and our guest think they're getting something maybe a little more expensive.

Everyone else? Nearly choked on my own saliva. ha ha Oh no, this is AFTER breakfast is over...I was in cooking AND serving AND cleaning all morning! Like I tell VIP guests (aka innmates or friends) when I walk them into the kitchen this is the heart of the operation right here!
When the table is full and i am bringing in plates or coffee...I am not stopping to chat when they are all chatting and laughing at the table (three or four conversations going at once).
They also sat down at the table at 830AM. That is crunch time here, we have three elements going, oven going, plates lined up, juice ready....
Yeah, there is no need for YOU to dance attendance when there are conversations going on. Again, I have no idea how some people think the food gets on the table and the coffee is hot and fresh if the innkeeper is standing around chatting!
Remember my vacation last year? Innkeeper chatting with us and the food was cold? And that place had a cook! No idea why the food should be cold when there is someone making it hot and that is their JOB.
Sorry, I didn't realize everyone else came on board AFTER brekkie. I thought they were helping DURING.

They also sat down at the table at 830AM. That is crunch time here, we have three elements going, oven going, plates lined up, juice ready....
I have actually STOPPED chatting once everything is on the table! I have been excusing myself after giving them time to ask whatever by saying, "I am going to leave you to enjoy your breakfasts and each other. I you need anything just let me know, i will be in the Library." Now if I could just get DH to stay in his bat cave I might be able to get the house emptied an hour earlier!
He still hs not realized that this is my JOB - fixing breakfast. When he gets up and comes into the kitchen the ONLY thing that matters is him getting his breakfast cooked. My job is to work around HIM. Especially if I am at crunch time! Putting the bread & entree in oven and fixing fruit but having to move out of the way while he puts his breakfast on the stove or move over a second while I put this away (the darn thing could wait another 30 minutes to get put awat!!!!). Can you tell i am tired? He did do Chapel last night so i could get the table set and roast the coffee before going to bed at 11:30.

And this is not a solo dance, why can they not ask DH these questions and shoot at his feet and shout "DANCE! DANCE!"
Jus' talkin', tain't no big deal...jus' talkin'...

And this is not a solo dance, why can they not ask DH these questions and shoot at his feet and shout "DANCE! DANCE!"
Jus' talkin', tain't no big deal...jus' talkin'....
Gomez rarely gets questions about things to do. Oddly, even tho guests see him cooking, he rarely gets questions about the recipes- I do!

catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
We actually found a wine that has the same name as our B&B, so it looks like we have our own private label. It's only $3.00 per bottle. Surprisingly, it's very drinkable.
Off the subject a bit, if any of you do serve wine, Blackstone wine produces a box wine called Black Box Wine that is very affordable and excellent! The Cabernet keeps very well because no air can get into the container. We just decant into a carafe and our guest think they're getting something maybe a little more expensive.
I just saw this at our liquor store and I'm dying to try a box red...thanks for the recommendation! Totally not for the guests...just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...

catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I just saw this at our liquor store and I'm dying to try a box red...thanks for the recommendation! Totally not for the guests...just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Rupert said:
a box red....just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Pun or no pun?? :)

Back