Something you do NOW and didn't used to do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone else? Nearly choked on my own saliva. ha ha Oh no, this is AFTER breakfast is over...I was in cooking AND serving AND cleaning all morning! Like I tell VIP guests (aka innmates or friends) when I walk them into the kitchen this is the heart of the operation right here!
When the table is full and i am bringing in plates or coffee...I am not stopping to chat when they are all chatting and laughing at the table (three or four conversations going at once).
This lady has called during breakfast as well. Sorry lady no can do.
They also sat down at the table at 830AM. That is crunch time here, we have three elements going, oven going, plates lined up, juice ready....
Yeah, I loved it when I would emerge from the kitchen on the weekends either helping to serve or at the very end of the meal because I had been in the kitchen cooking since 5:30 AM and a guest would say, "You've really got your husband working his tail off this morning!" What the???
Not that he didn't help, but they really had NO CLUE!

We dispensed with having wine and cheese in the afternoon. We would normally do it on the patio or deck, but in Texas we have such a narrow window of pleasant weather in the Spring and in the Fall, it made it impractical.
This summer I took to offering our guests a cold beer on arrival, but had few takers. Now we only provide a bottle of wine to guests who are here two nights or more AND only if they happen to mention it's an anniversary or other special occasion..
You could take the money you spend on wine and use it to join PAII. I would not be giving a bottle of FREE wine to any guest..even if they are celebrating a special event. They can pay for it. The most they got from me was a little cake and a card. And everyone enjoyed that.
catlady said:
You could take the money you spend on wine and use it to join PAII. I would not be giving a bottle of FREE wine to any guest..even if they are celebrating a special event. They can pay for it. The most they got from me was a little cake and a card. And everyone enjoyed that.
I didn't say it was expensive wine.
embaressed_smile.gif
We actually found a wine that has the same name as our B&B, so it looks like we have our own private label. It's only $3.00 per bottle. Surprisingly, it's very drinkable.
Off the subject a bit, if any of you do serve wine, Blackstone wine produces a box wine called Black Box Wine that is very affordable and excellent! The Cabernet keeps very well because no air can get into the container. We just decant into a carafe and our guest think they're getting something maybe a little more expensive.
I just saw this at our liquor store and I'm dying to try a box red...thanks for the recommendation! Totally not for the guests...just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Rupert said:
a box red....just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Pun or no pun?? :)
Pun MOST DEFINITELY intended!
cheers.gif

Everyone else? Nearly choked on my own saliva. ha ha Oh no, this is AFTER breakfast is over...I was in cooking AND serving AND cleaning all morning! Like I tell VIP guests (aka innmates or friends) when I walk them into the kitchen this is the heart of the operation right here!
When the table is full and i am bringing in plates or coffee...I am not stopping to chat when they are all chatting and laughing at the table (three or four conversations going at once).
They also sat down at the table at 830AM. That is crunch time here, we have three elements going, oven going, plates lined up, juice ready....
Yeah, I loved it when I would emerge from the kitchen on the weekends either helping to serve or at the very end of the meal because I had been in the kitchen cooking since 5:30 AM and a guest would say, "You've really got your husband working his tail off this morning!" What the???
Amazing how they can make pouring coffee look like an Olympic trial!

Amazing how they can make pouring coffee look like an Olympic trial!
Isn't that the truth?! haha.... Probably because my dh had no problem telling people that he also had another full-time job. Guests were so gullible about how hard he worked in this business....
wink_smile.gif

We dispensed with having wine and cheese in the afternoon. We would normally do it on the patio or deck, but in Texas we have such a narrow window of pleasant weather in the Spring and in the Fall, it made it impractical.
This summer I took to offering our guests a cold beer on arrival, but had few takers. Now we only provide a bottle of wine to guests who are here two nights or more AND only if they happen to mention it's an anniversary or other special occasion..
catlady said:
I didn't say it was expensive wine.
embaressed_smile.gif
We actually found a wine that has the same name as our B&B, so it looks like we have our own private label. It's only $3.00 per bottle. Surprisingly, it's very drinkable.
Off the subject a bit, if any of you do serve wine, Blackstone wine produces a box wine called Black Box Wine that is very affordable and excellent! The Cabernet keeps very well because no air can get into the container. We just decant into a carafe and our guest think they're getting something maybe a little more expensive.
I just saw this at our liquor store and I'm dying to try a box red...thanks for the recommendation! Totally not for the guests...just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Rupert said:
a box red....just to keep the innkeepers chugging along...
Pun or no pun?? :)
cheers.gif

Rupert said:
cheers.gif
Thought so!
thumbs_up.gif

Samster said:
whattha.gif

whattha.gif

whattha.gif

Samster that is what I am talkin' bout. Who the heck do you think was in cooking that meal you just ate and all the rest around here!! Oh yeah, let me come out and chat too...
I was just chatting to our ONE couple this morning, for quite a while. Not sure I would have given to that other needy couple anyway, I would find something that was urgent to do.
People!! Do you not know, you are staying at this B&B, you are not HIRING THIS INNKEEPER to be your little monkey! :)

Samster that is what I am talkin' bout. Who the heck do you think was in cooking that meal you just ate and all the rest around here!! Oh yeah, let me come out and chat too...
I was just chatting to our ONE couple this morning, for quite a while. Not sure I would have given to that other needy couple anyway, I would find something that was urgent to do.
People!! Do you not know, you are staying at this B&B, you are not HIRING THIS INNKEEPER to be your little monkey! :).
I really think that sometimes they thought I had someone hidden away in the kitchen doing all the "hard" work and I was supervising them while drinking coffee and reading the paper. HA! I don't think so! Maybe it was because these other B&Bs here had staff do everything? I have no clue....
On the flip side, there were plenty of guests that could see how hard I worked and appreciated all the amenities that we offered them here.

People!! Do you not know, you are staying at this B&B, you are not HIRING THIS INNKEEPER to be your little monkey! :).
So maybe I should quit grousing about the open kitchen and the laundry all over. It is VERY obvious around here who is doing what.

was sat chatting with a couple this morning about B&B and they mentioned they had always fancied it (him more than her she was more realistic) and they said do you ever have trouble I said rarely but with the internet you don't really know what you are getting till they come. And he said oh no we would only take bookings from people we had spoken to on the phone. I didn't say it but I thought well you will be sat there on their own!

was sat chatting with a couple this morning about B&B and they mentioned they had always fancied it (him more than her she was more realistic) and they said do you ever have trouble I said rarely but with the internet you don't really know what you are getting till they come. And he said oh no we would only take bookings from people we had spoken to on the phone. I didn't say it but I thought well you will be sat there on their own!.
You should have spoken out ....they need to know the truth...you have to be on line today. Probably one of those who thinks the cleaning fairy comes in and does all of the work.
poke.gif

was sat chatting with a couple this morning about B&B and they mentioned they had always fancied it (him more than her she was more realistic) and they said do you ever have trouble I said rarely but with the internet you don't really know what you are getting till they come. And he said oh no we would only take bookings from people we had spoken to on the phone. I didn't say it but I thought well you will be sat there on their own!.
You should have spoken out ....they need to know the truth...you have to be on line today. Probably one of those who thinks the cleaning fairy comes in and does all of the work.
poke.gif

they will never do it I could see on her face she could see the big picture ie she would get lumped with all the cleaning! I gave them some books to read and a course to go on so I have done my bit.

Something I do now, that I never used to do?
Thinking that my time is getting shorter.......than thinking I have so much time

Thinking that my time is getting shorter.......than thinking I have so much time.
One Day said:
Thinking that my time is getting shorter.......than thinking I have so much time
Ouch. Me, too.

Back