Something you have removed from the inn this year or of late?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there something you have found obsolete now in the operations of your inn? Something either you use or guests use that you have deemed unworthy and have removed from use? Perhaps it was replaced with something newer?
(Example: old box tv in parlor, replaced with flat screen. Or some appliance in the kitchen where you now use the microwave. Or an inn room item - such as individual rack cards for your area and you now have them in one central location. cloth and clay mugs replaced with less expensive mugs that guests can take with for advertising...etc)

In the process of removing the rocking chairs and replacing with upholstered chairs. Mostly, tho, I rearrange.

Daybed out from our largest room. I won't say it didn't get used, because we had three people in that room ALOT last year (and the third person revenue was very nice). However, I never thought there was enough room for three in there, because the bathroom is so small...and seven for breakfast was always a pain in the hiney.

Daybed out from our largest room. I won't say it didn't get used, because we had three people in that room ALOT last year (and the third person revenue was very nice). However, I never thought there was enough room for three in there, because the bathroom is so small...and seven for breakfast was always a pain in the hiney..
Little Blue said:
seven for breakfast was always a pain in the hiney.
I think that would always factor in for me...how many for breakfast and how much extra work would the rearrange be, the extra cost for the laundry for the other bed, towels, the place settings, the overall atmosphere...what would that "extra" person really cost. And if the $25 extra person charge would smooth all that over.

Daybed out from our largest room. I won't say it didn't get used, because we had three people in that room ALOT last year (and the third person revenue was very nice). However, I never thought there was enough room for three in there, because the bathroom is so small...and seven for breakfast was always a pain in the hiney..
Little Blue said:
I think that would always factor in for me...how many for breakfast and how much extra work would the rearrange be, the extra cost for the laundry for the other bed, towels, the place settings, the overall atmosphere...what would that "extra" person really cost. And if the $25 extra person charge would smooth all that over.
Bob Sled said:
Little Blue said:
Charge $40 instead of $25 and see how much better it is smoothed over. :)

About a month ago I totally de-cluttered all areas. The POs had a huge amount of clutter and fortunately took most of it with them. I found that over the years I've added little stuff here and there and it adds up over time. I also really tried to look at the rooms like a guest would.
I watch a lot of the real estate shows on tv that stage the house for it to sell. The first thing they do is de-clutter. People see it as cleaner and bigger. Oh, and no more silk or fake plants/flowers. No matter how much I clean them, they still looked dusty.

I bought the guest microwave and have heard it used only a couple times. (It has a loud chime when it is done, so you can hear it is someone used it, unless they stop it in advance of the chime). I will keep it, and I really got it so I could tell business guests "Yes there is a fridge and microwave for guest use." I don't like it though.
Just thought I would mention this as an fyi.
The fridge is often used, meds, ice packs from guests traveling with sore knees and shoulders, sodas, left overs, fruit, beer etc they are traveling with.
I was given a see through dome popcorn popper and it is horrible, takes up too much valuable and needed cupboard space, is messy, then you have to clean the thing from the oil, base and lid when it is done. A pain in the whatooey. Microwave popcorn - for my own enjoyment, is so much easier. It was given thinking our guests might enjoy watching the popcorn pop. No one gets this business except us, aye. LOL

The antique floor lamp fell over one time too many. Replaced it with a more stable floor lamp with multiple uses (it has the floor lamp setting for warm glow and also a "gooseneck" (sort of) for a reading light only at the rocker in that room.
I also replaced the bench I had done a foam block and velvet cover I had made for it with a REAL sitting bench - one that will not fall over if someone sits on the end of it (there are arms for one thing!).
There was also a wooden box that I had used to hold the VCR in one room and I just replaced it with a "shooting stool" DH made to hold his stuff and to sit on when he was going to shooting matches - believe me, this stool is a thing of beauty NOT what one would think of as a shooting stool. It is taller and prettier.
Edited to add: I took some of the "houses" the Duchess had that I had used as "decor" off the mantles and when the church has its next rummage sale the collector houses and a dome with birds positioned on a stand in the middle will be in the rummage. Many of the houses are Rockwell Village. NOTE: If anyone wants them, pipe up! You can have them.

I think that it's a great New Year's goal to look again at the guest rooms and common areas with a keen eye. Things seem to gather where you didn't think that they would, so you can de-clutter. Also good to replace anything that's looking threadbare or just isn't comfortable. I've learned a lot from guests about how they found a better way to place something in the room. :) Guests rarely use the hot chocolate and other varieties of hot beverages here that are available by the water kettle. I won't buy any more.

I think that it's a great New Year's goal to look again at the guest rooms and common areas with a keen eye. Things seem to gather where you didn't think that they would, so you can de-clutter. Also good to replace anything that's looking threadbare or just isn't comfortable. I've learned a lot from guests about how they found a better way to place something in the room. :) Guests rarely use the hot chocolate and other varieties of hot beverages here that are available by the water kettle. I won't buy any more..
Samster said:
Guests rarely use the hot chocolate and other varieties of hot beverages here that are available by the water kettle. I won't buy any more.
And I can't keep them stocked! It's probably the climate!

I think that it's a great New Year's goal to look again at the guest rooms and common areas with a keen eye. Things seem to gather where you didn't think that they would, so you can de-clutter. Also good to replace anything that's looking threadbare or just isn't comfortable. I've learned a lot from guests about how they found a better way to place something in the room. :) Guests rarely use the hot chocolate and other varieties of hot beverages here that are available by the water kettle. I won't buy any more..
Samster said:
Guests rarely use the hot chocolate and other varieties of hot beverages here that are available by the water kettle. I won't buy any more.
Even in the Winter they don't use the hot chocolate, cider, or even the instant cappucino packs I have. The tea assortment in the tea box really gets used though...I am always refilling it. The other thing here is that we have coffee makers in 3 out of 5 rooms and an upstairs guest beverage area. Could just be a function of them not bothering to go to the dining room since they have hot beverages in the rooms.

Samster said:
Even in the Winter they don't use the hot chocolate, cider, or even the instant cappucino packs I have. The tea assortment in the tea box really gets used though...I am always refilling it. The other thing here is that we have coffee makers in 3 out of 5 rooms and an upstairs guest beverage area. Could just be a function of them not bothering to go to the dining room since they have hot beverages in the rooms.
But you don't have many days when the temp is below freezing, the wind blowing and snow coming down at a rate a 1 inch an hour...thankfully. If that were the case, I'd be huddled up with some hot chocolate or something:)

Samster said:
But you don't have many days when the temp is below freezing, the wind blowing and snow coming down at a rate a 1 inch an hour...thankfully. If that were the case, I'd be huddled up with some hot chocolate or something:)
Yes it's not like up North but we have had a LOT of below freezing temps and wind so far! (The only thing missing is the snow.) Trust me....it can be COLD here and we had 2 weeks solid of belowing freezing temps! brrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Back