Something you used to do and now don't?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there something you did for years at your B&B and it fizzled out or you got tired of doing it and now don't do it?
My example:
I just wrote the three guest rooms names on the board. Up until this year I always did that, people loved it, would take photos with it, and it was just one more personal touch. Now I don't. It seems as I get older and time flies and the guests come and go so fast I can't keep up with it, so I write a "seasonal" saying on there, or if it is a grad weekend, will put something with their names on it, but I don't do it regularly. Many times I don't know why someone is here til they are here. I feel kinda bad that I don't now as people always loved it.
(Disclaimer, appreciate not opening a discussion on my practices, or those having affairs and don't want their names recognized, sometimes I just put the states guests are from or UK or Australia if they are from overseas, it starts conversation at breakfast - as the board is in the dining room).

Fresh flowers in the guest rooms. It just got to be too much to keep up with and then guests were knocking the vases over to use any and all flat space for their stuff. I put big bouquets in the common space when I have flowers in my garden or buy a bouquet at the market in the winter.

Ironing pillowcases and the top 1/3 of the top sheet. No one ever commented on how nice it looked - didn't seem to care. So I decided I didn't either. HUGE time saver for me. I think the "unpressed" look is more comfy looking anyway :)

Ironing pillowcases was something we stopped a few years ago. As Banana said, no one ever commented on it...Huge time saver and don't think anyone hasn't come back because their pillowcase wasn't ironed.

Here is something else - I have these three rooms for three days checking in today (stay two nights get one free midweek promotion). I am serving a nice check in refreshment. "CHECK IN" not daily.
I have found guests are out and about til all different hours and when I put them out AFTER check ins, most of it doesn't get touched as they return late or return and go to dinner right away. I know this is different at different B&B's where some have MORE guests enjoying the afternoon refreshments or gathering hour the day after check in.
We discussed this on the forum before, "Do guests think this will be a daily thing?" I have check in refreshments on the website, I don't have daily afternoon refreshments. Should new guests check in then I would be obligated to do more or I would just place in their room for just them.

Here is something else - I have these three rooms for three days checking in today (stay two nights get one free midweek promotion). I am serving a nice check in refreshment. "CHECK IN" not daily.
I have found guests are out and about til all different hours and when I put them out AFTER check ins, most of it doesn't get touched as they return late or return and go to dinner right away. I know this is different at different B&B's where some have MORE guests enjoying the afternoon refreshments or gathering hour the day after check in.
We discussed this on the forum before, "Do guests think this will be a daily thing?" I have check in refreshments on the website, I don't have daily afternoon refreshments. Should new guests check in then I would be obligated to do more or I would just place in their room for just them..
Under the AA and Visit Britain rating schemes to be 4 star or above you are supposed to offer all guests a refreshment in arrival. We don't because we are rebels and believe that they have all the stuff in their room anyway. Plus a lot of the time people are running late or dashing off to meetings and things so don't really want to sit and have a cup of tea with me anyway. And as I am sure everyone will agree if we all had to sit and have a cup of tea with every arrival we wouldn't get anything else done! especially as I sometimes have all 12 rooms comming in not to be vulgar but I'd never be off the loo!! So the inspector slapps our wrist every year and we promise to do better and just carry on regardless. As regards things we used to do and have stopped many moons ago we used to do our own laundry it was the best move we every made to have it sent out. We got rid of the extra sofas in the lounge as it is very rare people sit in there. We have just stopped putting hot chocolate in the rooms (we keep it in in case people ask) as people kept opening the packets and then not drinking it and the catering style ones are quite expensive to waste. So now we do Yorkshire Tea, Coffee, Decaffe coffee and fruit teas on request I think that is enough.

Bed and Breakfast. Only 3 more guests and I'm done. Sold and gone.
regular_smile.gif

Fresh flowers in the guest rooms. It just got to be too much to keep up with and then guests were knocking the vases over to use any and all flat space for their stuff. I put big bouquets in the common space when I have flowers in my garden or buy a bouquet at the market in the winter..
I used to always have fresh flowers in their room and in the living room and a tiny vase on their beverage tray that is delivered.. It got very expensive, especially in the winter and I had a bad habit of leaving them sit too long without changing the water. I think it's better to have have flowers rather than to have 1/2 dead ones. I stopped it all, unless I'm in the mood. It's a huge relief to me! It's much more fun when it's not an obligation.

regular_smile.gif
ginocat said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif

YIPPEE! ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE!
(I sent off gross sales to the realtor for an interested party in FLA today...I want to write what you wrote).
cheers.gif
All the best Ginocat!

regular_smile.gif
ginocat said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif

YIPPEE! ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE!
(I sent off gross sales to the realtor for an interested party in FLA today...I want to write what you wrote).
cheers.gif
All the best Ginocat!
I wish you luck with selling. I actually didn't sell as a bed and breakfast but private home. It's all good!!!

If it wasn't for my 86 year old mother who loves to iron, my pillowcases would not be ironed either. It is something she loves to do, gives her something to do and she insists I leave them all for her to iron. crisp crisp crisp. She lives just 5 minutes from us and drives over every day to do this and visit with the guests and tell them everything this city has to offer. She's the best.
I gave up supplying bottled water to the guests. Our tap water is good to drink and it was a pain having to lug all the bottled water from the store into the b & b. Now I just show them the guests fridge and tell them they can store anything they want in there.

If it wasn't for my 86 year old mother who loves to iron, my pillowcases would not be ironed either. It is something she loves to do, gives her something to do and she insists I leave them all for her to iron. crisp crisp crisp. She lives just 5 minutes from us and drives over every day to do this and visit with the guests and tell them everything this city has to offer. She's the best.
I gave up supplying bottled water to the guests. Our tap water is good to drink and it was a pain having to lug all the bottled water from the store into the b & b. Now I just show them the guests fridge and tell them they can store anything they want in there..
My mum is like that she irons socks and underpants!

I gave up supplying bottled water to the guests. Our tap water is good to drink and it was a pain having to lug all the bottled water from the store into the b & b. Now I just show them the guests fridge and tell them they can store anything they want in there..
Victoria said:
How wonderful is that?

regular_smile.gif
Wow. That's some big news!
What will you do next?
I have no idea. We are moving back to Vancouver - had a fast completion of only one month so have to move and find a place in the city by July 1. It's all a big adventure!! I will find some kind of job and will my husband. He will probably go back to the movie industry. I am soooo looking forward to being in an city and close to family!!! I will miss guests though.

regular_smile.gif
What will you do next?
I have no idea. We are moving back to Vancouver - had a fast completion of only one month so have to move and find a place in the city by July 1. It's all a big adventure!! I will find some kind of job and will my husband. He will probably go back to the movie industry. I am soooo looking forward to being in an city and close to family!!! I will miss guests though.
well that is fabulous! All the best wishes to you.

regular_smile.gif
What will you do next?
It's nice that you have the opportunity to move. You've had lots of changes over the past few years. I've always appreciated your innput on the forum. Now that you have an opportunity to take "real" vacations, you're certainly welcome here (midwest) any time. I hope Gino won't miss being the assistant innkeeper.

regular_smile.gif
What will you do next?
ginocat said:
I remember you saying you longed to be back in the city and Vancouver is fantastic! You have been a stellar innkeeper and have provided NW hospitality to so many.
(I am excited for you, can you tell? It gives me hope to start a new maybe one day soon too! We are also listed as a residence now, some doctor or whos who in this town can buy us and have 8 bathrooms to clean!)

Back