Sometimes the responses make you look worse than the reviews themselves!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not commenting on the reviews but the management responses looked just fine. They addressed the issues and the reviewer.

Well this is an extreme case. He clearly has an issue with the expectations of the customer versus what is actually offered.

Well this is an extreme case. He clearly has an issue with the expectations of the customer versus what is actually offered..
Agreed. No question about that, but I have seen some "responses" that were belittling and verged on abusive. Those are the places I would avoid.

My take on his responses:
Too Long
Too Defensive
He would have been better off saying nothing at all. However I can see why guests would be confused about the cancel policy - we as Innkeepers understand what we are saying, for some guests it is just too complicated. Period.

Sounds like the Inn from Hell. I wouldn't stay there based on the reviews.

Don't think the responses were bad (ive seen some awful ones) but I would point out all the whingers are Living Social People!

Aww come on now. Never judge a book by it's cover. Never stay there.That is a bit harsh! What is wrong with making up your own mind. It not what people say. It is about how one can judge what a place is like by YOUR OWN EXPERANCE, NOT WHAT OTHERS SAY.
I have seen many a friend hurt by what other people have said about them . You know that some people can hit you the wrong way. Just get your goat . May be there is another side to this story we are not aware of. May be this was the straw that broke the camels back?

In this instance it would have been better for them not to respond. There were plenty of positive reviews that an intelligent reader could see that the negative ones might have been just a case of sour grapes from a PITA. With the defensive responses that the owner gave (some of them harsh) it just reinforces the negative review.

The last few reviews mention living social and groupon so maybe he is hitting those a bit hard.

Don't think the responses were bad (ive seen some awful ones) but I would point out all the whingers are Living Social People!.
Which is exactly the problem with doing GripeOn and LousySocial. There is a reason why businesses choose to participate and get paid 32.5¢ to 25¢ on the dollar. The problem is finding out which are doing it to get their name known (the ones you want to go to), which are doing it because they want money and there are other problems (the ones you want to avoid like the plague) and then the ones who think they can scam the system (the ones you never go back to.)
And then the customers divide in three... the cheap (ie they won't come back without the coupon), the tasters (those who want to try something new, but price is the issue, so if you do it right, they will be back) and the scammers (the ones who want something for nothing and their chicks for free, to adulterate Dire Straits.) The last ones are the ones that you want to avoid... and who leave reviews because they either didn't bother to read the terms of their deal or thought that they could get more. The PITAs.
In all our experiences from these sites, we have had TWO that we have/will return. A few where the prices were so high to compensate for the coupons that we would never go back without the coupon (is those who think they can scam the system) and at least one restaurant that served food so bland and tasteless that even what we paid.... was overpriced!

Not commenting on the reviews but the management responses looked just fine. They addressed the issues and the reviewer..
I agree that for the most part the owner's responses are fine... What gets me is the horrendous spelling and grammar...
Having been the recipient of a less than glowing review that was not deserved, I know it is tempting to "lash back" at the reviewer and inform other readers of the review that the person was mistaken or was being spiteful or was just plain an idiot (or whatever)... but it is ALWAYS important, IF responding to a negative review, to word the response in a clear, polite, and professional manner and in such a way that might highlight something positive (for instance: "We appreciate Mr Guest pointing this out. We have done [ fill in the blank ] to remedy the situation." or "Information regarding this policy is clearly stated on our website. We will gladly answer any questions by phone or email; and we are always happy to accept comments or suggestions!")
However, if there is no way to respond with something positive, OR it is something you cannot or will not change, it is probably best to say nothing at all. Otherwise you risk sounding petty...
ALSO, besides the content of your response, you should: 1) read, re-read, and re-re-read the review, 2) write out what you REALLY want to say in response (especially if you are truly upset by it), 3) think about the situation from the reviewers point of view (why did they feel the need to share this online?? was their review true??), 4) rip up what you wrote in #2, 5) write, edit, re-edit, and re-re-edit your actual response (**check spelling and grammar**), 6) wait a few hours or a day before actually posting your response and be sure to read over it again before posting.
Responding to a bad review is kind of like an advertising opportunity... how you respond is a reflection of you and of your Inn.

Not commenting on the reviews but the management responses looked just fine. They addressed the issues and the reviewer..
I agree that for the most part the owner's responses are fine... What gets me is the horrendous spelling and grammar...
Having been the recipient of a less than glowing review that was not deserved, I know it is tempting to "lash back" at the reviewer and inform other readers of the review that the person was mistaken or was being spiteful or was just plain an idiot (or whatever)... but it is ALWAYS important, IF responding to a negative review, to word the response in a clear, polite, and professional manner and in such a way that might highlight something positive (for instance: "We appreciate Mr Guest pointing this out. We have done [ fill in the blank ] to remedy the situation." or "Information regarding this policy is clearly stated on our website. We will gladly answer any questions by phone or email; and we are always happy to accept comments or suggestions!")
However, if there is no way to respond with something positive, OR it is something you cannot or will not change, it is probably best to say nothing at all. Otherwise you risk sounding petty...
ALSO, besides the content of your response, you should: 1) read, re-read, and re-re-read the review, 2) write out what you REALLY want to say in response (especially if you are truly upset by it), 3) think about the situation from the reviewers point of view (why did they feel the need to share this online?? was their review true??), 4) rip up what you wrote in #2, 5) write, edit, re-edit, and re-re-edit your actual response (**check spelling and grammar**), 6) wait a few hours or a day before actually posting your response and be sure to read over it again before posting.
Responding to a bad review is kind of like an advertising opportunity... how you respond is a reflection of you and of your Inn.
My DH and I once decided to stay at a place because of the owners' response to a stupid, idiotic review. Their response was so dignified and caring we just had to go there.

bc30md said:
...Responding to a bad review is kind of like an advertising opportunity... how you respond is a reflection of you and of your Inn.
Precisely my point. I hate to be petty, but the person who responded to this review is not effectively communicating anything other than the fact that he/she cannot spell or use the correct verb tense. It sounds like one of those scamming e-mails 'enquiring about accommodation for 6 Greek priests coming to your country.' Turns me off completely.The poor management response makes me think what else is slipping thru the cracks. I see it here quite often when managers of the larger hotels respond to poor reviews. I've never seen it this bad from any other B&B that I've observed.

I believe the owner is German so he is writing in a second language - he's doing a better job in English than I would with my German skills...just sayin'....
Riki

I believe the owner is German so he is writing in a second language - he's doing a better job in English than I would with my German skills...just sayin'....
Riki.
I live in a country where I am speaking a second language. He needs to have someone proof read his stuff if that is the case. That is what I do.

bc30md said:
...Responding to a bad review is kind of like an advertising opportunity... how you respond is a reflection of you and of your Inn.
Precisely my point. I hate to be petty, but the person who responded to this review is not effectively communicating anything other than the fact that he/she cannot spell or use the correct verb tense. It sounds like one of those scamming e-mails 'enquiring about accommodation for 6 Greek priests coming to your country.' Turns me off completely.The poor management response makes me think what else is slipping thru the cracks. I see it here quite often when managers of the larger hotels respond to poor reviews. I've never seen it this bad from any other B&B that I've observed.
It sounds like one of those scamming e-mails 'enquiring about accommodation for 6 Greek priests coming to your country.' Turns me off completely.
Haha! So true!

Excellent pointers and advice!!

Back