Sometimes You & Your Guest Are Just Out of Synch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Had what I can an “Out of Synch Guest” that left today.

Sometimes we get these. Not often. Maybe once or twice a year. But they always throw me.

It’s that guest that when they book on the phone, you have to answer lots of questions. And some of the questions make no sense. Or they ask about features, amenities or options you just dont offer.

But they come anyway. And at checkin, it’s the same thing lots of odd questions that don’t jive with how you do things. “Is breakfast available all morning?” “No, just from 8 to 9:30.” “Is there a full kitchen in our suite?” “No, just a microwave and mini fridge.”

They seem uncomfortable, like you’re not what they want. But they read your website, they talked to you on the phone. You try and build some rappor, but they’re still standoffish. You’re having waffles the next day, but they’re avoiding carbs. Can you do an omelette? Sure, you say, and run down the street to grab a pepper and some mushrooms for breakfast.

The next day, you make their omelettes. In the middle of preparing them, you get that inevitable I’m-calling-a-bed-and-breakfast-so-I’ll-just-call-in-the-middle-of-breakfast phone call. It distracts you, so you undercook the omelettes. They rightfully send them back because they’re undercooked inside. You start over and make a whole new order for them. You find out later that they find a hair on their plate.

They leave without saying goodbye. You’re glad and sad, because it’s one of those bad-fit bad-karma situations. And you thank yourself that they were just a one-night stay.

Anyone else had out-of-Synch guests, or am I just going crazy?

I had one many years ago - he came several times. EVERY time he came, I broke a Fostoria goblet. He wanted to TALK TALK TALK - about his late wife, not his current wife (who I believe was grateful he was away for a while. When Himself told him, let me go check something for you, he FOLLOWED Himself right through the PRIVATE studio and into the workshop! By now, I am certain he has died - it has been that long - so I do not have to worry about him returning.

Yes. It’s an odd feeling that no matter what you do it’s going to go wrong. And, as soon as it starts you know everything you do will fall apart somehow. If there is a spoon that didn’t clean properly, they’ll get it. A glass with a chip? On their table. A stain you didn’t see? On their coverlet. It just doesn’t end.

Had what I can an “Out of Synch Guest” that left today.

Sometimes we get these. Not often. Maybe once or twice a year. But they always throw me.

It’s that guest that when they book on the phone, you have to answer lots of questions. And some of the questions make no sense. Or they ask about features, amenities or options you just dont offer.

But they come anyway. And at checkin, it’s the same thing lots of odd questions that don’t jive with how you do things. “Is breakfast available all morning?” “No, just from 8 to 9:30.” “Is there a full kitchen in our suite?” “No, just a microwave and mini fridge.”

They seem uncomfortable, like you’re not what they want. But they read your website, they talked to you on the phone. You try and build some rappor, but they’re still standoffish. You’re having waffles the next day, but they’re avoiding carbs. Can you do an omelette? Sure, you say, and run down the street to grab a pepper and some mushrooms for breakfast.

The next day, you make their omelettes. In the middle of preparing them, you get that inevitable I’m-calling-a-bed-and-breakfast-so-I’ll-just-call-in-the-middle-of-breakfast phone call. It distracts you, so you undercook the omelettes. They rightfully send them back because they’re undercooked inside. You start over and make a whole new order for them. You find out later that they find a hair on their plate.

They leave without saying goodbye. You’re glad and sad, because it’s one of those bad-fit bad-karma situations. And you thank yourself that they were just a one-night stay.

Anyone else had out-of-Synch guests, or am I just going crazy?
We are in the middle of no where..very remote location in the woods...only accessible by boat. We have guests at the end of August coming for the first time. The usual place they go isn’t opening this year due to covid. She wanted to know if the NYT is delivered daily! I feel I’ve been very honest with them about what kind of a place we are, but l’m still nervous about what they expect.

We are in the middle of no where..very remote location in the woods...only accessible by boat. We have guests at the end of August coming for the first time. The usual place they go isn’t opening this year due to covid. She wanted to know if the NYT is delivered daily! I feel I’ve been very honest with them about what kind of a place we are, but l’m still nervous about what they expect.

Tell them it is a bit too heavy for the carrier pigeon.

The NYT is $7/day here! Tell them to get an online subscription. If you have good WiFi. Otherwise, recommend they enjoy the break.

Gomez is from your neck of the woods. He used to go to a camp that was only accessible by boat. I can’t remember the name of it at the moment.

Back