SoS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbz

Reaction score
As much as i hate getting directly to the point, am facing some issues [and this happens to be the peak season here.]
1. Guests kicking the lid of dustbin in order to "open" it.... misunderstanding the "Press here to open" arrow - which means press the paddle to open the bin! 3 dust bin lids broken already.
2. Some using small hand towels to clean their shoes even though all rooms got quick shine cloth/brush
3. And most importantly, how to deal with people who check in thinking it's a hotel and have no concept of a B&B/home stay whatsoever?
The only stick-on i have put up in rooms mentions the food timings & extra services. And i am dead sure everybody minds "house rules" or "warning" signs.
ELP!

Viper said:
1. Guests kicking the lid of dustbin in order to "open" it.... misunderstanding the "Press here to open" arrow - which means press the paddle to open the bin! 3 dust bin lids broken already.
This should be a clue that you need to get trash bins of a different design. I once heard the definition of insanity: If you keep doing something the same way over and over getting the same undesired results. (I used to work for the government
wink_smile.gif
)
Viper said:
2. Some using small hand towels to clean their shoes even though all rooms got quick shine cloth/brush
At first, we had this problem until we purchased inexpensive colored towels for general use and had them marked accordingly. If it's raining, I'm sure to point these out. They are used for muddy shoes, cleaning windshields or whatever. Most of the time these can be laundered and reused. If not, toss 'em; they're cheap. We haven't had a problem since.
Viper said:
3. And most importantly, how to deal with people who check in thinking it's a hotel and have no concept of a B&B/home stay whatsoever?
When guest are checking in, welcome them to you "home" then ask if they've ever been to a bed and breakfast before. You'd be surprised by how many haven't. Then take it as an opportunity to extole the advantages and perks of a B&B stay. Most will get, sadly some never will.

Wow Wow Wow. Your place is gorgeous and your reviews are stellar - and in such a short time. Sorry to not actually answer your questions at this time (turn-downs need to be done immediately) but I couldn't stop myself from commenting on your establishment. Shimla is somewhere I've always wanted to visit.

1. Replace the dustbins with open cans. You will knock yourself silly trying to get them to understand... they won't.
2. There are some people who just don't have that kind of respect for your property. You can try a number of things including providing a special towel for such users. Or something like a nice note on your towels that says "Please help keep our towels white and bright by using a rag for other uses." But just experiment until you get it right.
3. Welcome people to your home instead of your B&B. Don't put up too many signs. People don't read them and then complain about all the rules.

That's some place
I'd check in...........................never check out

Thanks for your replies. All of you are most welcome anytime.
@ Different design dustbins/open cans - I had them when we started off but I had to change the washroom ones from open cans to one with lids coz of sanitary issues [Used cottons smell horrible if not in a lid bin] I even gave a motion sensor bin in rooms but guests exhausted its batteries by just playing with it! -.-
@ Towels thing - Well, if i give them a thin low quality towel, they complain that the towels are wafer thin.
@ We always welcome everbody into our home when they arrive. The problem arises when they go into their room (Relevant only for Indians checking - in; foreigner's know what B&B concept is). No amount of my explaining to them over email seems to work. And people do not even bother checking the website in detail. Once in their rooms the usual question is, "Where is the restaurant?" and "Can you send waiter to room with tea?"
Grrr.... arf. arf. bow. bow. woof woof

@ Different design dustbins/open cans - I had them when we started off but I had to change the washroom ones from open cans to one with lids coz of sanitary issues [Used cottons smell horrible if not in a lid bin] I even gave a motion sensor bin in rooms but guests exhausted its batteries by just playing with it! -.-
@ Towels thing - Well, if i give them a thin low quality towel, they complain that the towels are wafer thin.
@ We always welcome everbody into our home when they arrive. The problem arises when they go into their room (Relevant only for Indians checking - in; foreigner's know what B&B concept is). No amount of my explaining to them over email seems to work. And people do not even bother checking the website in detail. Once in their rooms the usual question is, "Where is the restaurant?" and "Can you send waiter to room with tea?"
Grrr.... arf. arf. bow. bow. woof woof.
You will eventually find a dustbin that works properly. Or you could look at changing the cotton that you use, or a larger sign, maybe PT-Touch tape in 24mm. You just have to experiment.
Provide one towel that is entirely different in colour and specify what it is for. Nice towels of personal use, thin towels for shoes or makeup.
For the third problem, I would put a better explanation on your website so that people understand what they are buying. The foreigners understand, but the locals need some more information. Try this... in the room, on the bed, leave a small binder with B&B policies but call it B&B Services. Start with a short introduction page. Include a list of local restaurants. And include a description where they can find the hot water or any other items you provide. Then, offer items that you do not want to offer, like tea service to the room, but with a price that would make you very happy if they asked for it. For example, if normal tea service should cost $5, put down a tea service that is very elaborate (but you could prepare it, if need be) with room service for $25. When they ask, you can point to where the tea is for self service or ask if they understand that their is a $25 charge for someone to bring tea service up to their room. Take my word, you will likely NEVER sell that tea service, but they will gladly go down for their own when they know the costs.

As regards the bins we have small metal push the pedal with your foot type ones and being a bit sturdier than the plastic ones have lasted better. I appreciate with your location as you mentioned earlier getting things can be a bit tricky but if you bought them from ebay could you have them delivered?
As regards the towels i would go with a carrot and stick approach. Carrot - here is scruffy old towels etc for if you have dirty shoes etc Stick - damage equals payment. Small sign maybe saying if you do not use the scruffy towels and use the nice ones there will be a charge for laundry. or something along those lines.
as regards the havn't got a clue what they have booked brigade. You have to sell it to them as a better more personal way to stay with a local expert on hand to help them etc. As regards tea in the rooms or common areas - we will do it but at $6 a cup or it is free in your room. You could also say it is restricted hours ie only servied between 10am and 8pm. The nearest restaurants are X Y Z and this is how to get to them etc. There will always be some who slip through the net and have no clue what they have booked its just a fact of life.

Aussie innkeeper just shared she/he is not really an Aussie! :) I think the other term we use in the states is a "waste basket."

As regards the bins we have small metal push the pedal with your foot type ones and being a bit sturdier than the plastic ones have lasted better. I appreciate with your location as you mentioned earlier getting things can be a bit tricky but if you bought them from ebay could you have them delivered?
As regards the towels i would go with a carrot and stick approach. Carrot - here is scruffy old towels etc for if you have dirty shoes etc Stick - damage equals payment. Small sign maybe saying if you do not use the scruffy towels and use the nice ones there will be a charge for laundry. or something along those lines.
as regards the havn't got a clue what they have booked brigade. You have to sell it to them as a better more personal way to stay with a local expert on hand to help them etc. As regards tea in the rooms or common areas - we will do it but at $6 a cup or it is free in your room. You could also say it is restricted hours ie only servied between 10am and 8pm. The nearest restaurants are X Y Z and this is how to get to them etc. There will always be some who slip through the net and have no clue what they have booked its just a fact of life..
Thank you. I think i will get some restaurant menu & put them in rooms.
Ebay doesn't deliver here, in this part of the town. No online store does, even though they promise they will. [One of the many problems of being in the rural area]
With regard to hotel/B&B thing, it appears we all are in the same boat!
Troublesome guests just checked out.. it seems all the rooms were hit by a hurricane
confused_smile.gif

You will eventually find a dustbin that works properly. Or you could look at changing the cotton that you use, or a larger sign, maybe PT-Touch tape in 24mm. You just have to experiment.
Provide one towel that is entirely different in colour and specify what it is for. Nice towels of personal use, thin towels for shoes or makeup.
For the third problem, I would put a better explanation on your website so that people understand what they are buying. The foreigners understand, but the locals need some more information. Try this... in the room, on the bed, leave a small binder with B&B policies but call it B&B Services. Start with a short introduction page. Include a list of local restaurants. And include a description where they can find the hot water or any other items you provide. Then, offer items that you do not want to offer, like tea service to the room, but with a price that would make you very happy if they asked for it. For example, if normal tea service should cost $5, put down a tea service that is very elaborate (but you could prepare it, if need be) with room service for $25. When they ask, you can point to where the tea is for self service or ask if they understand that their is a $25 charge for someone to bring tea service up to their room. Take my word, you will likely NEVER sell that tea service, but they will gladly go down for their own when they know the costs.
Thank you. I will be more specific wrt shoes & hand towels.
Wrt website information, I put in everything i could think of at first, but people kept asking the most irritating questions even after reading all on website - "Is it a restaurant or hotel?" "Is it a bar or a discotheque?" "Can you send the babysitter to our current hotel?" "Why is your house not on the Mall Road"? "Why should we stay at your house?" Gimme a break.......
I even had a pet policy & eco-policy put up on site, but the stupid questions just increased in numbers - "Can you take care of our pet?"[while they check-In at another hotel]" "Does the solar heater work at night, does it work on cloudy days?" "What do you do with 40k litres of rain water?" "Can you take care of the tree i just planted and send me weekly updates of it along with pictures?" I mean WTH?!
So, now i excluded everything from the website & got only direct, to the point information.
Normal tea here costs Rs.5.. that''s 1/9th of a USD $. If i put even 6$ for tea, guests will think i have lost it, let alone 25$ for tea service

Wrt website information, I put in everything i could think of at first, but people kept asking the most irritating questions even after reading all on website - "Is it a restaurant or hotel?" "Is it a bar or a discotheque?" "Can you send the babysitter to our current hotel?" "Why is your house not on the Mall Road"? "Why should we stay at your house?" Gimme a break.......
I even had a pet policy & eco-policy put up on site, but the stupid questions just increased in numbers - "Can you take care of our pet?"[while they check-In at another hotel]" "Does the solar heater work at night, does it work on cloudy days?" "What do you do with 40k litres of rain water?" "Can you take care of the tree i just planted and send me weekly updates of it along with pictures?" I mean WTH?!
So, now i excluded everything from the website & got only direct, to the point information.
Normal tea here costs Rs.5.. that''s 1/9th of a USD $. If i put even 6$ for tea, guests will think i have lost it, let alone 25$ for tea service
Well, why don't you try posting a price for taking care of their pet... at your place it's $X, but if you aren't staying here, it is $X+50, so much more expensive that they consider staying with you to save the cost of having you watch their pet. It also serves as a way of discouraging people because if they see a price that they won't pay, they don't ask.
Keep track of the people who ask questions, where they are from and what questions they ask. The look at the Google Analytics for your website and see which pages they go to that aren't answering their questions and use it as a way to improve what's on your website.
What is the cost of tea service at the most expensive hotel in town? What is included in that service? Put your price below theirs. People who are saving money staying with you won't pay the price. You aren't trying to sell it, you are trying NOT to sell it. You just want them to realize that doing it on their own is so much cheaper than asking you for it.
Viper said:

Well, why don't you try posting a price for taking care of their pet... at your place it's $X, but if you aren't staying here, it is $X+50, so much more expensive that they consider staying with you to save the cost of having you watch their pet. It also serves as a way of discouraging people because if they see a price that they won't pay, they don't ask.
Keep track of the people who ask questions, where they are from and what questions they ask. The look at the Google Analytics for your website and see which pages they go to that aren't answering their questions and use it as a way to improve what's on your website.
What is the cost of tea service at the most expensive hotel in town? What is included in that service? Put your price below theirs. People who are saving money staying with you won't pay the price. You aren't trying to sell it, you are trying NOT to sell it. You just want them to realize that doing it on their own is so much cheaper than asking you for it.
Viper said:
I tried that pricing option once... a rather grumpy rottweiler changed my thoughts & also came real close to changing my face
Costliest tea service is around 150$ at a 1250-1500$/night hotel [Wildflower Hall] < My monthly room rent is less than half the price it charges for one night.
tounge_smile.gif

Viper said:
I tried that pricing option once... a rather grumpy rottweiler changed my thoughts & also came real close to changing my face
Costliest tea service is around 150$ at a 1250-1500$/night hotel [Wildflower Hall] < My monthly room rent is less than half the price it charges for one night.
tounge_smile.gif

Viper said:
tounge_smile.gif
I am sure that you can come up with a price that you would find good enough to ignore the hassle of doing that work and then add another 10% to it.
Then offer a cheaper alternative in the way that you want to. You can even do it honour bar style or donation style. For example, if it's cheap enough, include it with the rooms. If it's not or you see people abusing it, put a small price on it and a small container for them to drop a coin into (obviously, something that they can't easily open or isn't worth the trouble.) If you just want to avoid abuse, and don't care about the money then set it up as a charity box... 5 rupee goes to this charity. Clear it out every once in a while and give it to the charity. Just remember to seed it with your own 5 rupee coin.

Back