Sound familiar??? Scams are everywhere

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
As I've mentioned, I've been out of work and apply all over for any job I think I can do. Office work for the most part.

Received an 'offer to apply' for a job from someone . The supposed company has no job listing that I can find. I HAVE applied for so many jobs I thought ... did I apply for this? They have a website that looks like it was started up in late September and they are in the Netherlands. uh oh. I responded that I wanted more information

Their reply

"We are pleased to offer you the position of a xxx at xxx with a start date on October 12th, 2020. This is coming after a thorough review of your resume. You will be reporting directly to me . We believe your skills and experience are an excellent match for our company.
The pay for this position is $500/weekly to be paid by direct deposit or check, starting on October 12th, 2020.
As an employee of xxx you are also eligible for our benefits program, which includes medical insurance, and 401(k), and other benefits which will be described in more detail in the employee handbook. Your task can be done in between your primary working hours or immediately after without affecting your current job if you have any.
On the starting date for this position, a proficiency assessment task will be given to you to assess your performance. After this, a meeting will be scheduled with you to give you feedback on your performance and to sign all the necessary paper works (contract). Free training will be provided to you before the starting date.

This position requires the following equipment and materials:
1. Computer
2. Security Printer
3. VoIP Phone
4. Licensed Software
5. Fax Machine
All the above-listed equipment and materials are prerequisites for this position. A check of $1950.50 will be mailed to your address. This check is to be used for:
1. The purchase of the required equipment and materials ($1450.50)
2. Your first-week pay ($500)
The order instruction will be forwarded to you when the check is deposited and clears."

The email continues by asking for my name, mailing address and phone number which, of course, are in my resume and correspondence, so not so 'thoroughy reviewed'.

I am not answering and will block contact but I wonder what the next step in this would be.
Maybe they will send a check much larger than 1950.50 and ask that I return the difference.
Doesn't it sound familiar??

I'm running my antispyware program now.

Other possibility is they wait for the check to clear so they now have your banking info along with other personal details so someone then uses your info to apply for loans or credit cards.

or they convince people to just give them the bank info ahead of time. I notice part of their email says to be paid by direct deposit or check
Preying on vulnerable people! I'm sure of it.

After some digging, I found some of the email wording, verbatim, on a community forum on Indeed. But NO response in that forum on their site or to me. I know this isn't innkeeping ... just a warning. Scammers take advantage of every possible situation.

Back