Quantcast

SPAM or not ?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

witthuus

Reaction score
We discussed SPAM email inquiries and few days ago and I had a good example :) ( post #6: Transferring Accounts? )

Today I got this one:

Hi,
I would like to reserve 2 rooms for 19th to 29th November
Me and my family of 5 will be spending 10 nights, Please provide a grand total for the type of rooms you have available during the given dates.
I do expect you to revert back with details so I can confirm the reservation as soon as possible.
Looking forward to your urgent response.
Kind Regards
John Michael Lawson

Pretty sure this is another SPAM - what do you think ?

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We discussed SPAM email inquiries and few days ago and I had a good example :) ( post #6: Transferring Accounts? )

Today I got this one:

Hi,
Me and my family of 5 will be spending 10 nights, Please provide a grand total for the type of rooms you have available during the given dates.
I do expect you to revert back with details so I can confirm the reservation as soon as possible.
Kind Regards
John Michael Lawson

DAMN!! I thought he wanted to stay here!!! I wonder where else he planned to stay on those dates. Yes, this is the kind of reservation to just delete without opening if possible and NEVER respond.

Arks

Reaction score
I got a good phone call today. It went to the recorder, of course. I never answer the phone. Everybody gets voice mail and I respond to the ones that sound real. This one said, "A $327.34 charge has been made to your VISA card. If you recognize this charge you need do nothing. If you do not recognize the charge, please call us immediately at XXX-XXX-XXXX."

Of course, I don't even have a VISA card, but if I did, I'd be tempted to call, since it has become pretty common for credit card fraud departments to contact me to verify charges.

Thank goodness for online access to accounts, so I can log in and see if there's really a potential charge. The scammers are VERY creative and we must be forever on our toes.

JimBoone

Reaction score

Today I got this one:

Hi,
Kind Regards
John Michael Lawson

Keys that I see to identify these emails.

1] always sent to multiple folks as a blind carbon copy
2] never address me or my business by name
3] asks questions that would be on website
4] often asking for more rooms than I have total

Always exciting to get an inquiry, but after the initial excitement it is obvious that they know little about me.

Char

Reaction score

Today I got this one:

Hi,
Kind Regards
John Michael Lawson

FAKE!! We have received this same email numerous times and reported it accordingly. They will give you a credit card number for you to bill the total. Then they will claim a serious accident or some other misfortune has happened and they must cancel; requesting full refund (but you can keep 10% as a kind thank you for your bother).

Generic

Reaction score
Do you have online reservations? If you do, then why are they emailing you? And what is there a BCC... who would you need to BCC? That's a give away. If the message isn't just for me... why?

Latest posts