Spam- yes or no?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I got an email addressed to 'undisclosed' from a yahoo acct in the UK. Right there I'm guessing spam. Then it went off on a tangent...only one room, found me (supposedly) on a legitimate site, coming for 13 days (not unusual from the UK). Then veered back into spam territory again with age of guests and where they work. So, who else got this?
Hello,
My name is XXXXX; I got your details from the Maine tourism
directory and would like to rent a Room or Apartment. I will be going on
my annual leave on the 18th of June & my husband and I will be coming to
Maine on holiday for 13 days. We will be staying from Saturday 19th of
June 2010 to Friday 2nd of July 2010 (Check-in 19th June - Depart 2nd
July).
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and recommendation on a suitable
accommodation if you have availability for 13nights and the costs for
2persons tax included.
I'm xx years old and a senior accountant, working with xxxxxx Company
here in the United Kingdom. I look forward to hearing from you, have a
great day and God bless.

Received one close to this last week or so. I was taken there for a while myself, but I know that there is very little chance that an international guest would vacation here for more than a week - the area yes, but staying in this one location for more, no. Delete.
These spamers must be getting replies that provide some info so they can continue to tweek their inquires to be more and more convincing. Grrrr

It would be the 'undisclosed' in the to: account that would tip the balance for me. Someone who is really planning that kind of trip would be using individual email addresses.

It would be the 'undisclosed' in the to: account that would tip the balance for me. Someone who is really planning that kind of trip would be using individual email addresses..
undisclosed'
FOR SURE!

I got the exact same e-mail and was going to ask the exact same question.
Question has now been answered.
I HATE these things.

There is no way an English person would tell an accomodation provider they were booking what their job was or how old they were definately spam.

There is no way an English person would tell an accomodation provider they were booking what their job was or how old they were definately spam..
There is no way an English person would tell an accomodation provider they were booking what their job was or how old they were definately spam.
Do YOU get a lot of spam like this that originates from yahoo.uk? Most of ours does.

If it not your email address or ANYTHING is hidden/undisclosed it is spam.

There is no way an English person would tell an accomodation provider they were booking what their job was or how old they were definately spam..
Do YOU get a lot of spam like this that originates from yahoo.uk? Most of ours does.
We get a lot of Yahoo spam and hotmail spam. The latest one is oficials from FIFA who are using a hotmail address I don't think so. Also popular is 6 priests and 3 honeymooning couples who want to book then want you to take the money from a card and organise their flights etc with it. Obviously the card is bent or stolen and they want to sell the tickets etc and you are the one doing fraud.

We get a lot of Yahoo spam and hotmail spam. The latest one is oficials from FIFA who are using a hotmail address I don't think so. Also popular is 6 priests and 3 honeymooning couples who want to book then want you to take the money from a card and organise their flights etc with it. Obviously the card is bent or stolen and they want to sell the tickets etc and you are the one doing fraud.
The F B I has started emailing also.

OK another one SPAM or not:
Addressed directly to me -
"Good Day, I browse through your contact and I find your place very unique and okay for me
to stay...am coming all the way from Germany to your area for some business
purpose,kindly let me know if these days are available for rent for the duration
of 7 days [ 12-18 june 2010 ] can you pls let me know if i can booked down
before my arrival ?what kind of credit card do you accept?"
We do get business guests that do stay a week - any and all times of the year. And we do get quite a few from Germany as well. Only asking for 1 room and only a week away.
But the very broken request about booking and asking what cards we take both give me a flag. The other is the fact that his last name was a very common one here - not Jones but .... and first name was very common as well.

Morticia said:
And the I R S too, with my refund I didn't know I was getting!- WhooHoo!

They are just up the road from me. Wish they would e-mail me - with some real rez.... Mi cr o-te l is too close to them for me to rate. But the I R S has my addy down pat so they can give me a big re fu nd.

One thing that flags up for me as well is when the names are wrong for example one today was Mrs Mike and the other couple was Mr Simon well you can tell they have found english names just can't tell the diference between first and second

One thing that flags up for me as well is when the names are wrong for example one today was Mrs Mike and the other couple was Mr Simon well you can tell they have found english names just can't tell the diference between first and second.
I have the same problem with non-English names! I can't tell how I should address my replies! Embarrassing.

I got the same one...just insert our state name instead of yours. They're getting a little smarter, but still not smart enough to fool anyone on this forum!

Back