Speaking of names

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have to ask Arks this question, why is your town named after a Jamestown Virginia Native American princess? Is there a connection?

The town had a different name originally, but it was renamed to the current name about 1835. We really have no idea why, though much research has been done on it. One of those questions whose answer is lost to the ages.
But I'm puzzling over the names for my units also. My main theme is that it's an old building (by local standards) in the historic district, restored to original appearance and all that. So I'm thinking of using names of some of the town's founders. The problem is that all the founders names are strange and sound a bit ugly: Bettis, Drew, Marr, Everett, Van Bibber. I don't really like the sound of any of them. I've already picked an ugly, unpronounceable name for the guesthouse. No need to compound it with bad room names!
Our county is famous here for having five large rivers, the only county in the state, perhaps in the nation, that has so many. So I could go with river names, but they aren't great sounding names either: Black, Current, Fourche, Eleven Point, and Spring. And only the locals even know how we pronounce Fourche here (like FOE-she).
Tough decisions!

The town had a different name originally, but it was renamed to the current name about 1835. We really have no idea why, though much research has been done on it. One of those questions whose answer is lost to the ages.
But I'm puzzling over the names for my units also. My main theme is that it's an old building (by local standards) in the historic district, restored to original appearance and all that. So I'm thinking of using names of some of the town's founders. The problem is that all the founders names are strange and sound a bit ugly: Bettis, Drew, Marr, Everett, Van Bibber. I don't really like the sound of any of them. I've already picked an ugly, unpronounceable name for the guesthouse. No need to compound it with bad room names!
Our county is famous here for having five large rivers, the only county in the state, perhaps in the nation, that has so many. So I could go with river names, but they aren't great sounding names either: Black, Current, Fourche, Eleven Point, and Spring. And only the locals even know how we pronounce Fourche here (like FOE-she).
Tough decisions!.
I know what you mean Arks, which is why I started the other thread. When I was contemplating names vs Cabin 1, Cabin 2 etc. I thought about great western movie character names, not the actors but the characters they played.
I gave up when one of my favs, Clint apparently had a who string of westerns where his character's name was less than noteworthy. Preacher, Pardner, The Stranger....come on gimme a break.
So I shelved that idea and went with the lemme hear your thoughts routine.
Apparently finding, choosing, funding and all that jazz is the easy part....this is the hard part cause it sets the tone for the whole place.
I have all the furnishings picked out. Design for the most part done. Working on tons of other stuff that is all coming together nicely, this part has me just stuck.
Guess I need to sit down with a history book as JB suggested and find a "connection" that is more meaningful.

Tough decisions!.
So what you are saying is there won't be a room with an indian princess theme, with no apparent connection. Black Currant. That was what I read haha.
Our rooms are actually named for mountains, fyi. The previous room names were descriptive, and to me it was like calling your cat "Cat" and your dog "Dog" ie Twin Room, Canopy Room, King Suite. So if you make a change, then what happens? I would steer clear of those type names, unless they pertain to the LCOATION of the room. An innkeeper on this forum has a foursquare house with themed rooms in that arena, ie SW, PacNorthwest, etc. Not quite, but in that strain. She can share more.
WAIT! This is the thread on your town, not the room names! HIJACKERS~
omg_smile.gif

Tough decisions!.
7 rivers begin in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. That County may be named because we were originally Virginia - will have our sesquicentenial as a State next year.
You have history in your City with "The Wo-ah!" had you thought of General's names?
Check out your Hist Society.

The only thing I would say is think about easy spelling and easy saying - not all your guests will be native English speakers don't make saying what room/cabin they are in a trial. So short, easy to say and easy to spell those are my thoughts. Plus Weaver - the connection with the famous maker is a name (if Ive got the right one) that people all over the world will recognise and get a kick out of.

The only thing I would say is think about easy spelling and easy saying - not all your guests will be native English speakers don't make saying what room/cabin they are in a trial. So short, easy to say and easy to spell those are my thoughts. Plus Weaver - the connection with the famous maker is a name (if Ive got the right one) that people all over the world will recognise and get a kick out of..
I am sure you do, their CEO was ok since he built the cabin with my use there, since there isn't much that can be done about that. But as to the property name, NO CAN DO, unless of course they were bluffing and don't have a copywrite for that name associated with lodging. I did a search on the US copywrite site and found nothing so a local lawyer is looking into it for me. I have a great pic which I won't post just yet of his initials and what I think is his brand on a log.
I agree and if you see my post on the other thread, I am not going to try something that I can't pronounce, who knows what the guests will do with it.

Tough decisions!.
So what you are saying is there won't be a room with an indian princess theme, with no apparent connection. Black Currant. That was what I read haha.
Our rooms are actually named for mountains, fyi. The previous room names were descriptive, and to me it was like calling your cat "Cat" and your dog "Dog" ie Twin Room, Canopy Room, King Suite. So if you make a change, then what happens? I would steer clear of those type names, unless they pertain to the LCOATION of the room. An innkeeper on this forum has a foursquare house with themed rooms in that arena, ie SW, PacNorthwest, etc. Not quite, but in that strain. She can share more.
WAIT! This is the thread on your town, not the room names! HIJACKERS~
omg_smile.gif

I found old photos of the rooms with names like Green Room, Brass Room, etc. They were changed but 2 of them were still room descriptions instead of keeping with the sort of theme of the names of the people who lived here. I changed one of them. Jury still out on what to rename the last room.
Guests call and ask for the really old names. Luckily, I know what they mean. Some guests ask for the 'room at the front of the house' or 'the room up the back stairs'. Good enough for me.

Back