Speaking of no-name-brand

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I wanted to mention this a month ago, and just now remembered when discussing PODS for the Keurig machine (buying vs refill your own).
Offering sodas (of whatever sort) for the guests to enjoy has been a very reasonable expense for us here. We have had a few people only, out of many many who even had more than one.
I was at a catered function, and they had bbq'd a pig, and more. They had a bar with local brews and wines from the area, and then lo and behold, grocery store no-name-brand sodas.
I found myself chuckling at the cans of "Mountain Lion" which is Food Lion's version of Mountain Dew.
Perhaps I was the only one who noticed in the whole crowd, but I did. I thought, how cheap! I am sorry to bring up this sore spot for the innkeeper who had a guest mention this, but it seemed applicable. That people drink brand sodas, wherever they go, and they expect it. The marketing for them CANNOT BE IGNORED.
I thought of this after reading "Ping me when it's broken" on Seth's blog.

I would have had the same impression. The only time I would use no-name brands is if the branding is not visible to the customer AND I was satisfied that the quality was such that it wasn't going to matter. I didn't see te previous discussion on this, so sorry if some of it has been already discussed, but even some, not all, W al M a rt label products are made by very well-known brands.

Years ago I worked for an upscale brand lingerie company - and they made the slips for the military AND for private label as it is called for Se ar s and Monkey Wa rd among others. I also worked for a company that had trucks that used to go around rural areas and take orders for groceries, spices, etc. That company in addition to their own brand, packaged many "private label" brands. People would pay more for the same product because of the name on the package!

I agree K, but there is no comparison to "the Real Thing" as they used to say on their advertising. Coke and Pepsi are not alike, nor is anything else similar to their formula.
Laundry detergent brand and no name brand - 99% are the same with a diff scent. Storebrand USED to be inferior, in most cases, everything has a store brand label and is made by the same company.
But that is not what I am talking about. Thinking "Those cheapies!" is what I am speaking of. WHo knows, maybe we ALL had the same idea? It is like bringing "Old Milwaukee" to a dinner party. haha

I agree K, but there is no comparison to "the Real Thing" as they used to say on their advertising. Coke and Pepsi are not alike, nor is anything else similar to their formula.
Laundry detergent brand and no name brand - 99% are the same with a diff scent. Storebrand USED to be inferior, in most cases, everything has a store brand label and is made by the same company.
But that is not what I am talking about. Thinking "Those cheapies!" is what I am speaking of. WHo knows, maybe we ALL had the same idea? It is like bringing "Old Milwaukee" to a dinner party. haha.
I THINK know what you mean - but it is perception with a lot of things. It is "I paid $25 per for this event and you could not spend the extra dime to give me the "good" stuff?" With most things (yes, discerning people CAN tell usually), if they THINK they are getting the good brand, everything tastes wonderful. Like my daughter with the stew - on her third helping she heard someone say it was squirrel stew - and she was DONE (ready to barf actually).
Aside: An old boyfriend had 3 varieties of booze. In the money = Jo hn ny Wa lk er Red. Payday = Sea gr ams 7. Day befor payday = Old "Overshoes" aka Old Ov er holt. the store brand left you thinking you were served (only good enough for) overshoes.

It's true. When you see the no name brand you think 'cheap'. And it's especially bad when someone was trying to provide a local option rather than just a cheap store brand.
We have a couple of local soda companies but not sure anyone thanks me when I provide this expensive option in a package.

433_profile_img1_noname.jpg

Yes, this is a real local brand from a very large supermarket chain. This is their inexpensive home brand. Their expensive home brand is called "President's Choice".
And all that "no name" soda in the US and Canada is usually produced by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cott which actually produces different cola flavours for different stores.
And I have no shame, in many ways I use store brands. But worse yet, the government specifications for B&Bs around here, take marks off if you use any products in their original containers for breakfast (except cereal). Then again, all my jam is home made, there are no "original containers" to worry about.
Incidentally, we find the K coffee too weak, we have reusable cups filled with enough of our strong coffee to make a cup of strong coffee.

But that is not what I am talking about. Thinking "Those cheapies!" is what I am speaking of. WHo knows, maybe we ALL had the same idea? It is like bringing "Old Milwaukee" to a dinner party. haha.
I THINK know what you mean - but it is perception with a lot of things. It is "I paid $25 per for this event and you could not spend the extra dime to give me the "good" stuff?" With most things (yes, discerning people CAN tell usually), if they THINK they are getting the good brand, everything tastes wonderful. Like my daughter with the stew - on her third helping she heard someone say it was squirrel stew - and she was DONE (ready to barf actually).
Aside: An old boyfriend had 3 varieties of booze. In the money = Jo hn ny Wa lk er Red. Payday = Sea gr ams 7. Day befor payday = Old "Overshoes" aka Old Ov er holt. the store brand left you thinking you were served (only good enough for) overshoes.
gillumhouse said:
and that is why they call it TOP SHELF

Ah...."no name brands". Well, my take is that the quality or performance is there, and there is no "label" to be seen, it makes no difference. At THAT point the impression is devoid of "visual" and goes to the other senses. Indeed, if a container or packaging MUST be seen at an event (ala C oke, Land0 Lake s, Brey ers, etc) it's wise not to compromise. Impressions are impressions. However, there are certain items I would NOT compromise on, and these could be considered "signature"-branded items. Coffee is one of them, weather pods or ground (where flavor rules). We use a locally-roasted, custom blend. You don't need to use farmer Fred's organic free range all American chicken eggs if "no name" cooks up just as well. Unless you promote your breakfast as "free range eggs blah blah blah..."
We have labels affixed to packages of "our" coffee that guests can purchase. Water bottles placed in our rooms are a name brand Spring water, not a WallyWorld purified, electrified tap water. We use Land0 butter pats not the national food service label or Budget-Saver Butter Gems.....We try to be cost-efficient where it is prudent, but we don't want to compromise our quality (as it is perceived) reputation for a few dollars per year. I still remember "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" is a good axiom to follow.

Ah...."no name brands". Well, my take is that the quality or performance is there, and there is no "label" to be seen, it makes no difference. At THAT point the impression is devoid of "visual" and goes to the other senses. Indeed, if a container or packaging MUST be seen at an event (ala C oke, Land0 Lake s, Brey ers, etc) it's wise not to compromise. Impressions are impressions. However, there are certain items I would NOT compromise on, and these could be considered "signature"-branded items. Coffee is one of them, weather pods or ground (where flavor rules). We use a locally-roasted, custom blend. You don't need to use farmer Fred's organic free range all American chicken eggs if "no name" cooks up just as well. Unless you promote your breakfast as "free range eggs blah blah blah..."
We have labels affixed to packages of "our" coffee that guests can purchase. Water bottles placed in our rooms are a name brand Spring water, not a WallyWorld purified, electrified tap water. We use Land0 butter pats not the national food service label or Budget-Saver Butter Gems.....We try to be cost-efficient where it is prudent, but we don't want to compromise our quality (as it is perceived) reputation for a few dollars per year. I still remember "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" is a good axiom to follow..
hearthstoneinn said:
"Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" is a good axiom to follow.
thumbs_up.gif

Agreed. What we use behind closed doors is nobody's bidness. :) But what we offer or give our guests, guest room chocolate may be a good example. A basket of Hershey goodies, two fine chocolates, or no name brand? Example: as a gift my sister gave me Irish Cadbury chocolate, which is entirely different to English Cadbury, and made in Dublin. So there is a quality difference, and a regional difference.

Oh and another area I want to buy NO NAME and feel led to ONLY buy name brand are the little packets of artificial sweeteners, the no name are the same color variations, but they aren't what people want.

We have labels affixed to packages of "our" coffee that guests can purchase. Water bottles placed in our rooms are a name brand Spring water, not a WallyWorld purified, electrified tap water. We use Land0 butter pats not the national food service label or Budget-Saver Butter Gems.....We try to be cost-efficient where it is prudent, but we don't want to compromise our quality (as it is perceived) reputation for a few dollars per year. I still remember "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" is a good axiom to follow..
hearthstoneinn said:
thumbs_up.gif

Agreed. What we use behind closed doors is nobody's bidness. :) But what we offer or give our guests, guest room chocolate may be a good example. A basket of Hershey goodies, two fine chocolates, or no name brand? Example: as a gift my sister gave me Irish Cadbury chocolate, which is entirely different to English Cadbury, and made in Dublin. So there is a quality difference, and a regional difference.
I got a really good deal on Lindt chocolates one year. Personally, I don't like them. Had a guest write in a review how impressed they were to find Lindt chocolates just 'out' for anyone to take. If I did that on a regular basis I would be broke.

hearthstoneinn said:
thumbs_up.gif

I got a really good deal on Lindt chocolates one year. Personally, I don't like them. Had a guest write in a review how impressed they were to find Lindt chocolates just 'out' for anyone to take. If I did that on a regular basis I would be broke.
I like Wal greens chocolate. The extra parafin added to the other plasticizers forms a great tooth cleaner and the more sugar instead of cocoa powder gives a great buzz.
wink_smile.gif

Back