Special Diets on the rise?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so here's my challenge for this weekend... my other post not withstanding.
wink_smile.gif
I am only willing to go so far, but don't want anyone to go away hungry. One guy does not eat eggs or nuts. He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes. One woman is on a "yeast" diet and can't eat white flour or sugar. Never heard of that one....sounds like a fad diet to me. I do a savory (egg) entree one morning and a sweet (gotta have some sugar) entree the second morning. Full house so there are others to feed who will eat anything. Always have fruit, yogurt, cereal on the table.
I have told them that I will do my best but suggested that they bring along something they know they can eat to be sure that they will not go away hungry. I figure the woman with the "yeast" diet will cave and eat any wonderful thing I serve. But the "no eggs and nuts" guy could be serious. Do I serve pancakes one morning (I do have a great recipe that does not have white flour in it), and eggs the second morning with a side of oatmeal muffins (not bran but close enough)? What do you think....will they eat it?.
kay so the dilemma is:
no eat eggy dishes (He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes)
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
What I would do (I actually had someone with all of these 3 weekends ago!):
Fried or oven- baked potatoes, eggs, fruit galore, yoghurt-no sugar added, muesli-no nuts, whole wheat toast, bacon (omit the eggs for the dude)
You can always make FRENCH TOAST using whole wheat english muffins and peaches in juice (no sugar added). See that is the one EGG LIKE thing I would ask him, those who say no eggy dishes will say yes to french toast and pancakes. Just not the overnight F.T. that is soggy and eggy.
AND..just informed...one guy (not the same guy who does not eat eggs, but in the same group) does not eat starch. No hash browned potatoes or bread for him....just eggs and meat.
So....in answer to your original post JB, it seems like "special diets" are on the rise. I am again reminded that allergies are serious and need to be cooked around. "Special diet" guests will have to pick around the meal I cook. I'll do the best I can and they will have to find something they will eat or go hungry! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Is the "starch" a medical condition (and did he name it?) or just his personal preference/diet?

wink_smile.gif
I am only willing to go so far, but don't want anyone to go away hungry. One guy does not eat eggs or nuts. He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes. One woman is on a "yeast" diet and can't eat white flour or sugar. Never heard of that one....sounds like a fad diet to me. I do a savory (egg) entree one morning and a sweet (gotta have some sugar) entree the second morning. Full house so there are others to feed who will eat anything. Always have fruit, yogurt, cereal on the table.
I have told them that I will do my best but suggested that they bring along something they know they can eat to be sure that they will not go away hungry. I figure the woman with the "yeast" diet will cave and eat any wonderful thing I serve. But the "no eggs and nuts" guy could be serious. Do I serve pancakes one morning (I do have a great recipe that does not have white flour in it), and eggs the second morning with a side of oatmeal muffins (not bran but close enough)? What do you think....will they eat it?.
kay so the dilemma is:
no eat eggy dishes (He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes)
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Fried or oven- baked potatoes, eggs, fruit galore, yoghurt-no sugar added, muesli-no nuts, whole wheat toast, bacon (omit the eggs for the dude)
You can always make FRENCH TOAST using whole wheat english muffins and peaches in juice (no sugar added). See that is the one EGG LIKE thing I would ask him, those who say no eggy dishes will say yes to french toast and pancakes. Just not the overnight F.T. that is soggy and eggy.
AND..just informed...one guy (not the same guy who does not eat eggs, but in the same group) does not eat starch. No hash browned potatoes or bread for him....just eggs and meat.
So....in answer to your original post JB, it seems like "special diets" are on the rise. I am again reminded that allergies are serious and need to be cooked around. "Special diet" guests will have to pick around the meal I cook. I'll do the best I can and they will have to find something they will eat or go hungry! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Is the "starch" a medical condition (and did he name it?) or just his personal preference/diet?
Startch would apply to diabetic.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Definitely, hence my question, is this a medical issue (bend over backwards) or a lifestyle issue (try to accommodate, but not bend over backwards). For example, I might prepare a breakfast that included vegetables (maybe even an breakfast salad), protein and hummus for a diabetic breakfast, skip the muffins and give them plain unflavoured yogurt... but if it's just a fad diet... that's different, then I don't have to worry about the yogurt, the vegetables, etc. They can pick and choose and I don't have to worry about what's on the plate, just skip the veggies, the bread, the muffins and the yogurt, two eggs over easy and enjoy!

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Definitely, hence my question, is this a medical issue (bend over backwards) or a lifestyle issue (try to accommodate, but not bend over backwards). For example, I might prepare a breakfast that included vegetables (maybe even an breakfast salad), protein and hummus for a diabetic breakfast, skip the muffins and give them plain unflavoured yogurt... but if it's just a fad diet... that's different, then I don't have to worry about the yogurt, the vegetables, etc. They can pick and choose and I don't have to worry about what's on the plate, just skip the veggies, the bread, the muffins and the yogurt, two eggs over easy and enjoy!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I just read today that peptic ulcers are made worse or brought on (the pain) from Wheat. So there are just sooooo many issues out there, we never know what the issue is. Can they eat wheat, yes, do they want to, no. It causes pain.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I just read today that peptic ulcers are made worse or brought on (the pain) from Wheat. So there are just sooooo many issues out there, we never know what the issue is. Can they eat wheat, yes, do they want to, no. It causes pain.
That's medical, essentially gluten-free. Different from someone who says that they want no starch because potatoes, rice flour and even yams might qualify as starch. Tapioca and Sorghum are high in starch but complete gluten-free. Starchy fruit include bananas and figs. Starchy veggies include corn, green peas, carrots, beets, cauliflower, yams, etc.

Y'all are making me nervous with all these special diet tales! Luckily, we've just had a gluten-free and a no meat person so far. I like the idea of just asking them if they have any food allergies. I've been asking them if they have "diet restrictions".

Y'all are making me nervous with all these special diet tales! Luckily, we've just had a gluten-free and a no meat person so far. I like the idea of just asking them if they have any food allergies. I've been asking them if they have "diet restrictions"..
K9 said:
Y'all are making me nervous with all these special diet tales! Luckily, we've just had a gluten-free and a no meat person so far. I like the idea of just asking them if they have any food allergies. I've been asking them if they have "diet restrictions".
I think we overthink it all. Just make basic simple foods (whole foods) and everyone is happy! I have a severe allergy, so does my husband and we know what we can and cannot eat. If asked we will mention it, but otherwise we won't eat it, we are adults, it is not that confusing. But many innkeepers go overboard and make it difficult as they want every guest happy. I went to a B&B once that served me the same meal three days in a row, and I actually enjoyed it, it was a nice breakfast. It didn't bother me in the least.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
I have no idea if it is a diet or medical condition but decided to take the path of least resistance. He is alone and in the cottage and requested an early breakfast because he is a presenter at a local conference. I'll have DH deliver a tray to him with eggs, veggies, fruit and yogurt. This morning he got poached eggs on a bed of spinich with Canadian bacon, my low fat "Eggs Benedict Arnold" sauce and a bit of melted cheese. He ate the whole thing so nothing came back. Yesterday the English muffin and hash browns were returned uneaten.
Tomorro I'll make the no-white-flour-no-sugar pancakes and bacon with a whole wheat/berry muffin on the side for guests staying in the house, . No nuts in any of it so the others should be OK. Sunday morning I will do an egg dish with a cornbread (no white flour) and a side of canadian bacon for everyone. That should do the trick. They all leave on Sunday.

I converted an old dude today.
He had an upset stomach. I asked him to try the greek yoghurt, for whatever reason, the enzymes, the high protein, it always seems to settle my stomach when there are butterflies doing dances in there. He does not like yoghurt,hasn't had it in 50 years. He tried it, he ate it all and asked me what brand and to show him the packaging so he could buy some.
Later on he was feeling better and was walking another roomful of guests out to their vehicle helping them pack up. (So I can confess here and now I considered offering him a job! It was so nice of him!)

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
I have no idea if it is a diet or medical condition but decided to take the path of least resistance. He is alone and in the cottage and requested an early breakfast because he is a presenter at a local conference. I'll have DH deliver a tray to him with eggs, veggies, fruit and yogurt. This morning he got poached eggs on a bed of spinich with Canadian bacon, my low fat "Eggs Benedict Arnold" sauce and a bit of melted cheese. He ate the whole thing so nothing came back. Yesterday the English muffin and hash browns were returned uneaten.
Tomorro I'll make the no-white-flour-no-sugar pancakes and bacon with a whole wheat/berry muffin on the side for guests staying in the house, . No nuts in any of it so the others should be OK. Sunday morning I will do an egg dish with a cornbread (no white flour) and a side of canadian bacon for everyone. That should do the trick. They all leave on Sunday.
Silverspoon, you might want to reconsider the pancakes for tomorrow. It sounds like he's enjoying the no starch/carb breakfast. I think if you stick with the proteins (eggs/meat/cheese) he might eat it all again.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
If he is getting the pancakes, make sure you have some info on the gluten-free-ness of them or they may come back.

I converted an old dude today.
He had an upset stomach. I asked him to try the greek yoghurt, for whatever reason, the enzymes, the high protein, it always seems to settle my stomach when there are butterflies doing dances in there. He does not like yoghurt,hasn't had it in 50 years. He tried it, he ate it all and asked me what brand and to show him the packaging so he could buy some.
Later on he was feeling better and was walking another roomful of guests out to their vehicle helping them pack up. (So I can confess here and now I considered offering him a job! It was so nice of him!).
I have almost instantaneous results from eating yogurt on an upset stomach. I tried some Greek yogurt this morning and I couldn't gag it down. Too thick. It was like eating sour cream out of the tub. I had to go get the lighter gurt. I like the Greek gurt but today it was not happening.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Update; Cottage no-starch/carb guy called at 7:30am and said "Don't bother with breakfast for me today. " I didn't ask why but thanked him for calling ahead.
The cornmeal/rye pancakes (with no egg) were a big hit. Not even one came back to kitchen. Bacon eaten as well. I had those greek yogurt "wigglers" on the plate along with pansies but only one guest ate the wiggler. Whole wheat with fruit mini muffins were good but I am not personally a fan of this kind of muffin. Give me a full fat tasty muffin any day! Doesn't look like the yogurt/gelatin wigglers are going to be worth the trouble during the season. But the pancakes are perfect for the occasional no-white-flour guest. I know they won't work for a guten-free diet but they were perfect for this crowd.
Tomorrow will serve a SW egg bake with salsa, guacamole and corn bread (no flour).

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
I have the "Sweet" day buttoned up...cornmeal and rye flour pancakes that I believe all will eat. But the dude will not eat even French toast, so I am left with offering him fruit, yogurt, cereal (no nuts) and whole grain toast or oatmeal muffin on the "savory" day. He won't eat the breakfast meat either. But I like your idea of the potatoes....maybe I'll try that refrigerator trick we talked about in an other thread and try those "baking potato" hash browns. Sounds like a breakfast to me! Thanks for the ear.
Oh, in case anyone is interested, here is the recipe for the no-white-flour pancakes. They come out thin, kind of crispy and delicous. Recipe credit goes to Greycote Inn in Bar Harbor Maine.
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

These are simple to make, tasty, with a crunchy texture. Buttermilk is the key.
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
Add the cornmeal to the buttermilk and let soak while you prepare the other ingredients. Stir the remaining dry ingredients together thoroughly. Melt the butter and add to the cornmeal mixture, then stir in the dry ingredients until free of lumps.
Cook on an oiled 350 griddle (a bit lower than regular pancakes). Use about 2 Tbs of batter. Cook until dry on top then flip until lightly browned. Serves 4-6.
OK so this one was a BIG hit! Both sets of guests requested this recipe in follow up e-mails. It doesn't look like much but it sure is tasty...add a pitcher of maple syrup to the table for those who are looking for something suite. I just garnished with fresh blueberries and let the sweet tooths among 'em pour the syrup.

Back