Spending money on vacation is good for you

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Spending money on experiences like vacations is good for you...
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-case-for-spending-too-much-on-summer-vacation/259368/

Could you check the link again? I get this when I try to go there:
[h1]Page not found[/h1]
We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found

A few thoughts on this excellent article:
Our brains are hard-wired to think we need to spend a lot on summer vacations to be happy...Americans don't go on vacation that often compared with other countries...According to the law of diminishing marginal utility, this should make vacation especially valuable for us...a brief once- or twice-a-year vacation appears more valuable than a routine long weekend.
Makes me want to market by saying, "Pamper yourself. You deserve it! It's OK to spend that money you earn!"

If you've been to an amusement park, ask yourself: Are you more likely to remember the hour you spent in line or the two minutes you spent on the ride at the end? The ride, of course.
It's the same when you have a really long wait for your food to arrive at a restaurant. Once the food arrives, the wait is forgotten.

Occasionally "we favor objects because we think that experiences can be fun but leave us with nothing to show for them, but that turns out to be a good thing," says Daniel Gilbert, the renowned psychologist and author from Harvard University. "Experiences are like good relatives that stay for a while and then leave. Objects are like relatives who move in and stay past their welcome."
Reminds me of my mother finally throwing out the Christmas poinsettia, though it still looks good as new, because she just gets tired of it.
Lots of good psychology in this article. I may read it twice!

I think this article is pure rubbish. In fact I write the exact opposite for our state parks system, telling folks to avoid the overpriced hype of "theme parks" and invest in family, friends and fun, togetherness. Time spent together fishing, board games, riding bikes, swimming.
I just wrote an article where I shared about a group of kids who were asked what was their favorite vacation? A theme park, a resort, etc and all of them simply said swimming. That is what they took away, swimming is the most fun. Sure they can beg and scream for "theme" parks, but in the end kids love water, and it doesn't have to break the bank. I also wrote about the cost break down of a theme park, the sucker park, how much to just keep your family hydrated at one of those black-top jungles after waiting in line in the heat, for over an hour+ for a 3 minute ride. $$$$
I do agree it is not about "things" it is about experiences, 100%!
I don't agree about the camera thing, some poeple just love photogrpahy, now if this is the mummy on the beach forcing her kids to pose all the time, then I do agree. Everyone has a digital camera (or on the cell phone) just like GPS and annoy the heck out of most people.
See this? Yeah Virginia, is all that. THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! This is a vacation, right here.
534697_10151722140967841_867910750_n.jpg

I think this article is pure rubbish. In fact I write the exact opposite for our state parks system, telling folks to avoid the overpriced hype of "theme parks" and invest in family, friends and fun, togetherness. Time spent together fishing, board games, riding bikes, swimming.
I just wrote an article where I shared about a group of kids who were asked what was their favorite vacation? A theme park, a resort, etc and all of them simply said swimming. That is what they took away, swimming is the most fun. Sure they can beg and scream for "theme" parks, but in the end kids love water, and it doesn't have to break the bank. I also wrote about the cost break down of a theme park, the sucker park, how much to just keep your family hydrated at one of those black-top jungles after waiting in line in the heat, for over an hour+ for a 3 minute ride. $$$$
I don't agree about the camera thing, some poeple just love photogrpahy, now if this is the mummy on the beach forcing her kids to pose all the time, then I do agree. Everyone has a digital camera (or on the cell phone) just like GPS and annoy the heck out of most people.
See this? Yeah Virginia, is all that. THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! This is a vacation, right here.
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't agree about the camera thing, some poeple just love photogrpahy...
I think that's just what he said, that there are two ends of the spectrum, some love to take a lot of photos, some not, and each person will follow their own stategy on that.
I'm with him, in that I've seen people, including myself, totally miss the experience because they were so busy taking photos that they didn't really take time to enjoy the place. But that's their choice. There is no wrong answer.
I think the article made several good points, not so much aimed at kids who'd rather be swimming, but at older travelers who have money to spend and often enjoy spending it!

Joey Bloggs said:
I think that's just what he said, that there are two ends of the spectrum, some love to take a lot of photos, some not, and each person will follow their own stategy on that.
I'm with him, in that I've seen people, including myself, totally miss the experience because they were so busy taking photos that they didn't really take time to enjoy the place. But that's their choice. There is no wrong answer.
I think the article made several good points, not so much aimed at kids who'd rather be swimming, but at older travelers who have money to spend and often enjoy spending it!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I know I get it. I really do, and the whole Americans have less vacation days than our counterparts, and TRUST ME 7 weeks in Australia, vs 1 or 2 weeks in the USA (for the average working person) is a huge difference.
I am not a glamour girl, so the whole pamper me and narcis thing is just not my thing. I think it is a waste of money, and I do believe people should enjoy themselves, don't get me wrong. I think the money needs to be spent where it should be spent. MIND YOU - I BELIEVE MOST FAMILIES WHO STRUGGLE shouldn't even have cell phones, I am extreme, I see people struggle then blow so much money when it could be better spent. Spend THAT cell phone bill on a vacation experience instead!
And yes, grandparents who never spend a dime, then die. What of it? How about taking your grandkids on a cruise or something? I agree with that sentiment. Don't blow it, but use it on those you love...therein lies my heartsong...spend it on others, if you have it!
I battle this out, I am a phoney bologney in both realms, but my heart is in both. Here is my B&B article NO SPORKS ALLOWED!

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I know I get it. I really do, and the whole Americans have less vacation days than our counterparts, and TRUST ME 7 weeks in Australia, vs 1 or 2 weeks in the USA (for the average working person) is a huge difference.
I am not a glamour girl, so the whole pamper me and narcis thing is just not my thing. I think it is a waste of money, and I do believe people should enjoy themselves, don't get me wrong. I think the money needs to be spent where it should be spent. MIND YOU - I BELIEVE MOST FAMILIES WHO STRUGGLE shouldn't even have cell phones, I am extreme, I see people struggle then blow so much money when it could be better spent. Spend THAT cell phone bill on a vacation experience instead!
And yes, grandparents who never spend a dime, then die. What of it? How about taking your grandkids on a cruise or something? I agree with that sentiment. Don't blow it, but use it on those you love...therein lies my heartsong...spend it on others, if you have it!
I battle this out, I am a phoney bologney in both realms, but my heart is in both. Here is my B&B article NO SPORKS ALLOWED!
People can look at the options then make their own choice on the best use of their money while on vacation. I think your NO SPORKS article makes that choice an easy one!

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don't blow it, but use it on those you love...therein lies my heartsong...spend it on others, if you have it!
Amen, sister
I told someone the other day that my hubby and I believe in making memories, not money, at this point in our lives. Our kids are 13 and 12. Too soon it will be empty-nest city here and I'll have little else to do but make money...
cry_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Just read a review about our wildlife reserve. The guy was on a boat tour and said once he left the dock the camera went into his bag, he found he did not want to miss a second of the beauty while he was focusing etc. He stated the photos in his mind will last a lifetime.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Just read a review about our wildlife reserve. The guy was on a boat tour and said once he left the dock the camera went into his bag, he found he did not want to miss a second of the beauty while he was focusing etc. He stated the photos in his mind will last a lifetime.
I end up doing everything twice...once to enjoy it and once to record it!

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This made me think of one of my cousins. I went to visit her and her first words wre, "Where did you go this year?" When I told her where we had gone - with kids in tow BTW - she said, I wish we could go places.
I did not want to be rude and tell her the truth - she could have gone places if she was not constantly spending her money on Berber carpet, remodeling her house, and Waterford crystal, all things that to me mean nothing. That house was sold a long time ago and I have no idea how much of that crystal still survives - glass breaks!
Years later we are still talking about the trips we took and the kids relive those memories - same trips but VERY different memories - with us. DH had 2 weeks when we married - and we used every day of it. I used every day I had, working vacations around holidays to get extra time. We went to The Little Big Horn, the Black Hills, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore (that included a ride on a stage coach and a Father's Day dinner in a restaurant that had once been a whore house), Denver. Estes Park, Garden of the Gods, Cripple Creek, Cowboy Hall of Fame, Buffalo Bill Museum, and a dig in a dinosaur pit all on one 3-week trip that ended with a few days visiting my in-laws. We went camping when DH was not working. We went to Gettysburg and Williamsburg. The last trip we took was a month "doing" historic New England, ending with a windjammer cruise off the coast of Maine. My kids went to historic sites, battlefields, and museums. Theme parks were never visited because we could take them to Santa's Village or Six Flags at home.
One reason we retired on a shoestring is because instead of saving (other than 401k and savings bonds that took us through our first 10 years of B & B and trips to hospitals), we took trips. I borrowed money from the credit union if I had to for us to take a trip (I financed the last big trip by working part-time on my days off for 3 years). I have no regrets because those memories will be there to be dusted off and shared as long as the last of my kids is alive.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This made me think of one of my cousins. I went to visit her and her first words wre, "Where did you go this year?" When I told her where we had gone - with kids in tow BTW - she said, I wish we could go places.
I did not want to be rude and tell her the truth - she could have gone places if she was not constantly spending her money on Berber carpet, remodeling her house, and Waterford crystal, all things that to me mean nothing. That house was sold a long time ago and I have no idea how much of that crystal still survives - glass breaks!
Years later we are still talking about the trips we took and the kids relive those memories - same trips but VERY different memories - with us. DH had 2 weeks when we married - and we used every day of it. I used every day I had, working vacations around holidays to get extra time. We went to The Little Big Horn, the Black Hills, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore (that included a ride on a stage coach and a Father's Day dinner in a restaurant that had once been a whore house), Denver. Estes Park, Garden of the Gods, Cripple Creek, Cowboy Hall of Fame, Buffalo Bill Museum, and a dig in a dinosaur pit all on one 3-week trip that ended with a few days visiting my in-laws. We went camping when DH was not working. We went to Gettysburg and Williamsburg. The last trip we took was a month "doing" historic New England, ending with a windjammer cruise off the coast of Maine. My kids went to historic sites, battlefields, and museums. Theme parks were never visited because we could take them to Santa's Village or Six Flags at home.
One reason we retired on a shoestring is because instead of saving (other than 401k and savings bonds that took us through our first 10 years of B & B and trips to hospitals), we took trips. I borrowed money from the credit union if I had to for us to take a trip (I financed the last big trip by working part-time on my days off for 3 years). I have no regrets because those memories will be there to be dusted off and shared as long as the last of my kids is alive.
There's nothing wrong with having a comfortable home. Some people (believe it or not) are just not interested in getting out beyond their little corner of the world. I have a neighbor here like that...she has never been on an airplane in her 50 something years and has barely left this State! Each to their own....
I've always had the travel bug and the only thing that precluded us from doing some trips in the past was limits on vacation time away from work and of course $$$. Kids remember a lot of all the various types of trips we have taken over the years - from camping to cruises. One of the highlights are the folks that you meet along the way.
We now joke that we're spending their inheritance (such as it is) checking out plenty of new places . LOL!

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There's nothing wrong with having a comfortable home. Some people (believe it or not) are just not interested in getting out beyond their little corner of the world. I have a neighbor here like that...she has never been on an airplane in her 50 something years and has barely left this State! Each to their own....
I've always had the travel bug and the only thing that precluded us from doing some trips in the past was limits on vacation time away from work and of course $$$. Kids remember a lot of all the various types of trips we have taken over the years - from camping to cruises. One of the highlights are the folks that you meet along the way.
We now joke that we're spending their inheritance (such as it is) checking out plenty of new places . LOL!
I do not fault anyone who does not travel. What made me bite my tongue with my cousin was her whining that she wished they could go places. She envied my traveling. It was her choice to dump everything into a house she did not spend much time in because she was always working to pay for the latest upgrade. I never wished for a better house (bigger maybe but not better.)
We, on the other hand, lived in 900 sq ft that was maintained, no upgrades other than to add a fireplace to give our firebugs a safe place and a front porch to enjoy, because we traveled. Our choice was to show the kids what this Country was all about. And when we were too broke to travel for a few years, we went camping at the State Park almost every weekend in a tent I bought at a yard sale.
Whatever is your choice, sobeit, but do not moan with envy about the other choice.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I do not fault anyone who does not travel. What made me bite my tongue with my cousin was her whining that she wished they could go places. She envied my traveling. It was her choice to dump everything into a house she did not spend much time in because she was always working to pay for the latest upgrade. I never wished for a better house (bigger maybe but not better.)
We, on the other hand, lived in 900 sq ft that was maintained, no upgrades other than to add a fireplace to give our firebugs a safe place and a front porch to enjoy, because we traveled. Our choice was to show the kids what this Country was all about. And when we were too broke to travel for a few years, we went camping at the State Park almost every weekend in a tent I bought at a yard sale.
Whatever is your choice, sobeit, but do not moan with envy about the other choice.
I use to love to travel and did plenty of it. But right now I am content to just stay home. I just lost the desire to go.
Plus with my mother at 97, I just want to be near just in case. Same for my 19 yr. old cat
I just can't bear the thought of even getting in an airplane any longer. I would love to go back to Italy one day, but not the 8 hours there and back it takes :-(

Back