Spice in the Morning - not recommended BTW

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Guests had talked breakfast with DH last night (I was still working the polls - Bond failed so no new school) and they said they had oatmeal this morning so would pancakes or waffles be OK. I have a great walnut oatmeal pancake recipe although I rarely do pancakes so OK.
This morning I am frying the pancakes on the burner DH usually uses for his dinners and there are flames licking around the burner of this electric stove. He apparently had not cleaned his burner up in a while (this is his area of the house so i do not interfere - will do in the future) and the griddle held the heat under the burner enough to get it going.
I was able to get it out without anything more than a hazy downstairs - the lady was in the dining room getting her tea at the time. I opened the window to air out the kitchen and used another burner to finish the pancakes.
They seemed pleased with everything when they left - we just referred to it as adding some spice to the morning. (DH is actually talking looking for a new stove - considering this one dates to about 1952, perhaps not a bad idea.)
This activity is one that is NOT recommended to be tried in your home.

Whenever the smoke alarm goes off during breakfast, which does happen a few times/year, I always yell, 'Breakfast is ready!' and from the laughs it gets it must be what guests yell at home, too. Given everyone can see the smoke and flames while seated for breakfast, we do try to keep the excitement down to a dull roar most mornings.

I'm sure commercial ranges are not cheap, but over the holidays (of course) my daughter's refrig died and while getting a new one Lowe's offered a 30" gas range to her for $406 delivered. She couldn't pass it up (of course).

Whenever the smoke alarm goes off during breakfast, which does happen a few times/year, I always yell, 'Breakfast is ready!' and from the laughs it gets it must be what guests yell at home, too. Given everyone can see the smoke and flames while seated for breakfast, we do try to keep the excitement down to a dull roar most mornings..
Unfortunately at that point in time only 2 pancakes were done. She missed the flames, just saw the smoke.
They wrote in the book that they plan to come back. They are also the first guests who ever asked about the sheets. they loved them and asked about the thread count. I think they were one of the few high count ones I have. Told them most of the really high count sheets wrinkle badly and that is why I do not buy them - I am NOT ironing sheets!
Anyway, a flamin' breakfast di not seem to deter this couple.

I'm sure commercial ranges are not cheap, but over the holidays (of course) my daughter's refrig died and while getting a new one Lowe's offered a 30" gas range to her for $406 delivered. She couldn't pass it up (of course)..
This is a 1952 stove - BIG. Will have to measure since we will need to fill the space. My stove repair man has been called and sai he will be over tomorrow between Noon and 3. He will determine whether I am repairable or shopping. If/when he retires I am screwed! There are not many people left who know how to repair a 60 year old electric stove.
One thing that helped is that we do not "fry" anything so there was no grease to burn.

I'm sure commercial ranges are not cheap, but over the holidays (of course) my daughter's refrig died and while getting a new one Lowe's offered a 30" gas range to her for $406 delivered. She couldn't pass it up (of course)..
This is a 1952 stove - BIG. Will have to measure since we will need to fill the space. My stove repair man has been called and sai he will be over tomorrow between Noon and 3. He will determine whether I am repairable or shopping. If/when he retires I am screwed! There are not many people left who know how to repair a 60 year old electric stove.
One thing that helped is that we do not "fry" anything so there was no grease to burn.
It may be as large as 42" - that was the space that we had to fill after the POs took their 1940s something range out of here. I had to get a large 5 burner range with a warming oven plus regular oven to fill the space. It was really a shame... haha! Love it! Got it at Sears. They run good sales at this time of year and there are always "scratch & dent" specials at all of the appliance stores. Best of luck in finding something that suits your needs. If you can only replace it with an all electric appliance, I hightly recommend a smooth top cooking appliance. You will love the ease of cleaning the cooking surface.

It may be as large as 42" - that was the space that we had to fill after the POs took their 1940s something range out of here. I had to get a large 5 burner range with a warming oven plus regular oven to fill the space. It was really a shame... haha! Love it! Got it at Sears. They run good sales at this time of year and there are always "scratch & dent" specials at all of the appliance stores. Best of luck in finding something that suits your needs. If you can only replace it with an all electric appliance, I hightly recommend a smooth top cooking appliance. You will love the ease of cleaning the cooking surface.
Just measured - it is 40 inches.
IF my stove man tells me it cannot be used (that burner) I think the rest of the stove will work until I can replace it - so i will not be totally totaled - if I have oven I can do breakfasts - but I will then talk to my plumber abot the ability to run a gas line over from my dryer connection (1952 era double sink with drainboards on either sie over drawers and storage space and a refrigerator between the two) because DH realy, really wants gas stove again. Since I have learned (again) to cook with electric, I am ambivilant. I like the control of gas but with the Big A in the background have a healthy understanding of possible consequences down the road..... The good thing would be that DH would see the flame and NOT leave the burner on - as he did last week. And I am supposed to be the one with the Big A in the background! (His excuse is the drugs they gave him with his surgeries which I know is valid as my brother says his memory and memories are not good since his transplant.)

IF my stove man tells me it cannot be used (that burner) I think the rest of the stove will work until I can replace it - so i will not be totally totaled - if I have oven I can do breakfasts - but I will then talk to my plumber abot the ability to run a gas line over from my dryer connection (1952 era double sink with drainboards on either sie over drawers and storage space and a refrigerator between the two) because DH realy, really wants gas stove again. Since I have learned (again) to cook with electric, I am ambivilant. I like the control of gas but with the Big A in the background have a healthy understanding of possible consequences down the road..... The good thing would be that DH would see the flame and NOT leave the burner on - as he did last week. And I am supposed to be the one with the Big A in the background! (His excuse is the drugs they gave him with his surgeries which I know is valid as my brother says his memory and memories are not good since his transplant.)
Yes, 40" - that's mine...typo there in my previous post!
We had to run a gas line from our kitchen when we bought this house (it had both gas & electric available) to the laundry for our gas dryer. We had to update the electric plug in the kitchen as well. I think this is a big plus for resale as there is gas and electric available in the kitchen and laundry, so would appeal to preferences.
Good luck with whatever you decide and hope that you stay safe.

My sister just got one of the combo ovens. Gas cook top but elec. convection oven. She really likes it.

My sister just got one of the combo ovens. Gas cook top but elec. convection oven. She really likes it.
catlady said:
That's what I'm putting in my 4 vacation rental apartments. Gas is great for a cook top but not so great for an oven, especially for broiling. So I'm going with the combo units.

I love mine so much that as we explore where we next move, I have to have gas in the kitchen! Even if it's not there currently, I have to be able to put it in.
I've gone back and forth between gas & electric with all the homes that we've owned and I am now officially spoiled - I must have a gas cook top!!

UPDATE!! WOOHOO!!!
The repair guy just left - the burner still works and all is well. I asked him to see if he can get a new element and if so, order it and call me when it is ready for HIM to install (he asked it I wanted to install it - HUH????) the new element. I am not going to wait for it to die on me. Get it now. So once again, I dodged the bullet and do not have to get a new stove.
Moving this stove will be a major undertaking. there is quarter round in front of it and when we had the new countertop put on almost 17 years ago, I got another inch of counter space with the notch in front of the stove. With luck, that will be the problem of the next owner. This stove from 1952 (or earlier) mostly works. The clock and therefore the oven timer died a few years after we opened (it worked the one time I needed to leave a breakfast in the oven for guests), the thermostat controlled burner is no longer thermo-controlled - not sure it still works even since i have not used it for a long time, but 3 burners and the oven work great.

Whenever the smoke alarm goes off during breakfast, which does happen a few times/year, I always yell, 'Breakfast is ready!' and from the laughs it gets it must be what guests yell at home, too. Given everyone can see the smoke and flames while seated for breakfast, we do try to keep the excitement down to a dull roar most mornings..
Unfortunately at that point in time only 2 pancakes were done. She missed the flames, just saw the smoke.
They wrote in the book that they plan to come back. They are also the first guests who ever asked about the sheets. they loved them and asked about the thread count. I think they were one of the few high count ones I have. Told them most of the really high count sheets wrinkle badly and that is why I do not buy them - I am NOT ironing sheets!
Anyway, a flamin' breakfast di not seem to deter this couple.
Good for you, and it is a good guest that appreciates courage under fire ...

Latest update: This morning I put a pot of soon to be veggie soup on the flamer burner and it went POP! Blew the breaker and is now dead. I now have (until my repairman comes with parts - a 1 1/2 burner stove. One 6 inch is great, the other 6 inch burner is good as a warmer-upper but not a cooker. Got the soup made so DH has food while I am gone til Tuesday night.
It is now Tuesday night - the stove man came by with his supply book to match the burner element to what was available so he gets the correct one. He is also going to order the 6 inch burner for us so we will have 3 good burners. He said the thermostat burner would have to have the switch replaced also and he does not think they are available. I am OK with an oven and 3 burners. The 4th burner could be used as a keep it warm because that is about all it will do. Considering it dates from circa 1952, this stove is doing well. He made sure we knew the element runs about $40 and I told him it is cheaper than a new stove.

Latest update: This morning I put a pot of soon to be veggie soup on the flamer burner and it went POP! Blew the breaker and is now dead. I now have (until my repairman comes with parts - a 1 1/2 burner stove. One 6 inch is great, the other 6 inch burner is good as a warmer-upper but not a cooker. Got the soup made so DH has food while I am gone til Tuesday night.
It is now Tuesday night - the stove man came by with his supply book to match the burner element to what was available so he gets the correct one. He is also going to order the 6 inch burner for us so we will have 3 good burners. He said the thermostat burner would have to have the switch replaced also and he does not think they are available. I am OK with an oven and 3 burners. The 4th burner could be used as a keep it warm because that is about all it will do. Considering it dates from circa 1952, this stove is doing well. He made sure we knew the element runs about $40 and I told him it is cheaper than a new stove..
gillumhouse said:
He said the thermostat burner would have to have the switch replaced also and he does not think they are available. I am OK with an oven and 3 burners.
Did you check for stove parts at www.repairclinic.com ? I am working on my 1957 General Electric Range and most all the parts are available on that page. Just put in your model number in the search box and see what comes up.

It is now Tuesday night - the stove man came by with his supply book to match the burner element to what was available so he gets the correct one. He is also going to order the 6 inch burner for us so we will have 3 good burners. He said the thermostat burner would have to have the switch replaced also and he does not think they are available. I am OK with an oven and 3 burners. The 4th burner could be used as a keep it warm because that is about all it will do. Considering it dates from circa 1952, this stove is doing well. He made sure we knew the element runs about $40 and I told him it is cheaper than a new stove..
gillumhouse said:
He said the thermostat burner would have to have the switch replaced also and he does not think they are available. I am OK with an oven and 3 burners.
Did you check for stove parts at www.repairclinic.com ? I am working on my 1957 General Electric Range and most all the parts are available on that page. Just put in your model number in the search box and see what comes up.
Barry_Manilow said:
gillumhouse said:
It will also require taking the whole top apart and the labor involved. Not worth it. Stoves are not THAT expensive. I just paid alittle over $200 in the latest repairs. If it keeps the stove going for another couple years I am OK with it. My current priority is a new roof.

Back