Spice Mix and Mastery

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Maybe it's a weird question.... I have yet to find a real compendium that matches certain fruit to certain spices. For example, for apples, the best spices are usually cinnamon and/or nutmet. Of course, I never use vanilla with oranges because it makes everything taste like a creamsicle. And I love mixing lemons and poppy seeds. And of course the house favourite of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves... aka Gingerbread.
So, what I want to hear is other people's goto mixtures, what spice do you like to use with raspberries? blueberries? oranges? apples? kiwis?

I like almond syrup on melon/kiwi or mango & kiwi. I found a recipe for vanilla syrup for topping fruit (just a drizzle) but haven't tried it yet. I love pear bread with crystallized ginger. Cardamom. vanilla, & honey on grapefruit (then broiled) fresh pineapple with brown sugar, chili powder & salt then broiled, I'll dust cinnamon on bananas with silced cantaloupe. Cantaloupe with crystallized ginger and warmed honey or maple syrup.
here's a link for food & spice combiniations and another and one more

We stock three syrups in the house... elderflower, lingonberry and violet. We sometimes drizzle a bit on top of some fruit, to act as the sugar.
Love the idea of chile power on pineapple. Ever try it with chipotle pepper? We make a chipotle pepper cream cheese spread.

GB - I haven't tried chipotle pepper yet. I have a recipe that calls for chipotle cheddar, which I cannot buy local. :-( Like the ideas about the syrups. I make mine as a simple syrup adding the extract. Do you make yours?

GB - I haven't tried chipotle pepper yet. I have a recipe that calls for chipotle cheddar, which I cannot buy local. :-( Like the ideas about the syrups. I make mine as a simple syrup adding the extract. Do you make yours?.
The first two... Ikea :) The last... we bought in Marseille :)
I understsand if you can't find Cabot Chipotle Cheddar, but a good supermarket should stock Sargento, no? Besides... Cabot delivers... https://www.shopcabot.com/product.php?id=44

I am a purist.
Not cooked, not soggy, fresh fruit only..
I used to be a fruit purist. Now I toss on blueberry syrup I make myself or balsamic vinaigrette or some bleu cheese & honey.
A good balsamic on strawberries... heavenly. We also, luckily, can easily get creme fraiche and creme anglaise (custard cream) here.
Never let a guest read the container of creme fraiche.... at 40% bf they are likely to run!

our small grocery only carries pepper jack but we make the trip into the city (45 miles) to get the better cheeses, etc I've used sour cream with sugar and lemon with good success on fruit.

Oh dont get me wrong balsamic, crumbled feta, gorgonzola...but GB was asking about SPICES.

I sometimes would put a bit of cocoa powder on fresh whipped cream on strawberries. I really didn't use that many spices on fresh fruit. I think I have a pear and ginger recipe.

Not necessarily fresh fruit. For example, if you are making something with apples, you add nutmeg when you cook with them, for example in a muffin. But what spice do you add to a blueberry muffin to compliment the blueberry. Or maybe blueberry jam with _____ spice. That's what I'm thinking of.

Not necessarily fresh fruit. For example, if you are making something with apples, you add nutmeg when you cook with them, for example in a muffin. But what spice do you add to a blueberry muffin to compliment the blueberry. Or maybe blueberry jam with _____ spice. That's what I'm thinking of..
This is only partial help...with blueberries: lemon zest or grated ginger

Not necessarily fresh fruit. For example, if you are making something with apples, you add nutmeg when you cook with them, for example in a muffin. But what spice do you add to a blueberry muffin to compliment the blueberry. Or maybe blueberry jam with _____ spice. That's what I'm thinking of..
Definitely lemon. Also vanilla in the muffin base. When baking bit cinnamon over the blueberries is good too. I made some blueberry cream cheese sweet rolls, and wanting a gooey base, prepped the pan with some butter and a good bit of maple syrup. Boy was that good!

mint

mint
Thanks for the reminder. I need to go see if it is back yet..... Warm today.

Blueberry and lemon is delicious. I don't really like to add other flavors to berries. Strawberries and rhubarb. Red and black raspberries are perfect, in and of themselves. Peaches, I add almond. Pears, I use either cloves or ginger. Apples and cranberries. Banana bread, sometimes I put a sprinkle of crystallized ginger mixed with sugar. My daughter calls it "Banana bread with Diamonds".
I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it made my mouth water to type them :)

Blueberry and lemon is delicious. I don't really like to add other flavors to berries. Strawberries and rhubarb. Red and black raspberries are perfect, in and of themselves. Peaches, I add almond. Pears, I use either cloves or ginger. Apples and cranberries. Banana bread, sometimes I put a sprinkle of crystallized ginger mixed with sugar. My daughter calls it "Banana bread with Diamonds".
I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it made my mouth water to type them :).
Actually, it's the kind of thing that I am looking for.
I make applesauce with ginger and I make applesauce with Chai.

I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it made my mouth water to type them :).
GBManor said:
Well, if that's the case ;)
I love to add Chai to my pear crisp. Sprinkle a little onto the pears as you are sauteeing them. Add a little more into the crisp mixture. Top with homemade whipped cream flavored with a little vanilla and some more Chai.
Pumpkin and cream cheese (obvious). Pumpkin pie cake with cream cheese frosting.
I mix blueberries and rhubarb together to make jam.
Peaches and pecans with brown sugar sauce.
Apple with brandied carmel sauce
I could go on for a long time :)

Back