Spice Mix and Mastery

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often mix orange flower water (like rosewater but a little less perfumey) in with my mixed fruit cups. No added sugar, just a little bit of flavor, slightly middle eastern. You can usually find it in Asian/Indian groceries or online at King Arthur Flour.

Blueberry and lemon is delicious. I don't really like to add other flavors to berries. Strawberries and rhubarb. Red and black raspberries are perfect, in and of themselves. Peaches, I add almond. Pears, I use either cloves or ginger. Apples and cranberries. Banana bread, sometimes I put a sprinkle of crystallized ginger mixed with sugar. My daughter calls it "Banana bread with Diamonds".
I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it made my mouth water to type them :).
Actually, it's the kind of thing that I am looking for.
I make applesauce with ginger and I make applesauce with Chai.
GBManor said:
Well, if that's the case ;)
I love to add Chai to my pear crisp. Sprinkle a little onto the pears as you are sauteeing them. Add a little more into the crisp mixture. Top with homemade whipped cream flavored with a little vanilla and some more Chai.
Pumpkin and cream cheese (obvious). Pumpkin pie cake with cream cheese frosting.
I mix blueberries and rhubarb together to make jam.
Peaches and pecans with brown sugar sauce.
Apple with brandied carmel sauce
I could go on for a long time :)
GBManor said:
I make applesauce with Chai.
[/quote]
I love chai myself but what do you add - a spice mix only or powdered chai mix with tea in it?

Blueberry and lemon is delicious. I don't really like to add other flavors to berries. Strawberries and rhubarb. Red and black raspberries are perfect, in and of themselves. Peaches, I add almond. Pears, I use either cloves or ginger. Apples and cranberries. Banana bread, sometimes I put a sprinkle of crystallized ginger mixed with sugar. My daughter calls it "Banana bread with Diamonds".
I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it made my mouth water to type them :).
GBManor said:
Well, if that's the case ;)
I love to add Chai to my pear crisp. Sprinkle a little onto the pears as you are sauteeing them. Add a little more into the crisp mixture. Top with homemade whipped cream flavored with a little vanilla and some more Chai.
Pumpkin and cream cheese (obvious). Pumpkin pie cake with cream cheese frosting.
I mix blueberries and rhubarb together to make jam.
Peaches and pecans with brown sugar sauce.
Apple with brandied carmel sauce
I could go on for a long time :)
GBManor said:
I make applesauce with Chai.
I love chai myself but what do you add - a spice mix only or powdered chai mix with tea in it?

[/QUOTE]
I've never seen it as a spice mix, but basically I use one of two methods... either I boil the spice/tea and make a concentrate or I use Torani in which case, I use no sugar, since it is sweetened. The nice part with the Torani is that you can just make plain applesauce and add it to your liking and mix.

You all may want to look into adding Stevia to your list of herbs to grow
Realy good stuff

Realy good stuff.
I use Stevia all the time. But how can you process and use the herb at home? What do you do with it? Just use it to sweeten tea or what??

Realy good stuff.
I use Stevia all the time. But how can you process and use the herb at home? What do you do with it? Just use it to sweeten tea or what??
You could chop it up.....boil, reduce, strain........I've added a couple table spoons to pancake mix......nice taste.......it adds color to the batter
Could dry it....run through a processor.......use as any other herb
Rip leaves to add to tea.......On Sunday's I have a 3 gallon party pitcher....I fill with ice, slice orange, lime and lemon.....stevia leaves ripped and added.........sparkling water.........we are good for the day.
Last summer I tried..........drying, then I froze over night before running through the processor......I was able to go beyond finely chopped to almost a power consitency as sweet n low
Only problem is color.
I've added it to tuna fish.........home made salsa, salads...made a tomato sauce using it, instead of adding sugar
Alot of uses for it.......

Realy good stuff.
You could chop it up.....boil, reduce, strain........I've added a couple table spoons to pancake mix......nice taste.......it adds color to the batter
Rip leaves to add to tea.......On Sunday's I have a 3 gallon party pitcher....I fill with ice, slice orange, lime and lemon.....stevia leaves ripped and added.........sparkling water.........we are good for the day.
Last summer I tried..........drying, then I froze over night before running through the processor......I was able to go beyond finely chopped to almost a power consitency as sweet n low
Only problem is color.
I've added it to tuna fish.........home made salsa, salads...made a tomato sauce using it, instead of adding sugar
I use the white powder version. I did plant some one year - then I forgot where I planted it and pulled it out as a weed! Guess who was twerked with me most when I realized what I had done. That was one VERY expensive plant. Maybe I will try it again and put it in a pot instead of a "bed".
With thw white powdered version, I use 3/8 of a teaspoon in a muffin recipe. POTENT stuff!

Realy good stuff.
Only problem is color.
One Day said:
Skip the sparkling water and add some cheap red wine...sangria!

Okay, I need a bit more advice. I was thinking of making Almond Poppyseed Pancakes, but I was wonder what to serve next to it... thinking something like lemon curd? Any other ideas? Anyone have an easy way to make fresh lemon curd?

Totally off topic, but somehow pertaining to the topic in a bizarre sort of way. I learned someting about marshmallows. They are NOT Kosher, they are not VEGAN as they use gelatin which is made from animal bones and hide.
Just thought I would share this information for anyone who uses them in baking or s'mores around the campfire at the inn, peeps for guest treats this time of year. Don't be surprised if a guest turns them down. WHO EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BEFORE!
Yes you can buy vegan marshmallows. Marshmallow creme used egg whites typically. fyi

Totally off topic, but somehow pertaining to the topic in a bizarre sort of way. I learned someting about marshmallows. They are NOT Kosher, they are not VEGAN as they use gelatin which is made from animal bones and hide.
Just thought I would share this information for anyone who uses them in baking or s'mores around the campfire at the inn, peeps for guest treats this time of year. Don't be surprised if a guest turns them down. WHO EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BEFORE!
Yes you can buy vegan marshmallows. Marshmallow creme used egg whites typically. fyi.
Joey Bloggs said:
... gelatin...
Kosher marshmellows use agar agar instead and are vegan. You might not know this, but many yogurts now use bovine gelatin as well. They are labelled as simply gelatin, but I called the manufacturers to ensure that it is bovine and not porcine because of my muslim guests. But I always ask my vegetarian guests or I use a brand that is gelatin free (we have a few small brands that are gelatin free.
(You can use agar agar to make panna cotta instead of gelatin, which is a nice change from yogurt in the morning and looks great served with blueberry or raspberry coulis on top in shot glasses.)
Oh... and peeps use porcine gelatin. That's right... there are pigs in those peeps.
peeps-yellow.jpg

Here is a few of my faves:
Mint is great on melons -- Makes a great melon salad! (honeydew, watermelon and cantaloupe)
I use a lot of fresh herbs from the garden in all of my egg dishes. The top hit seems to be cilantro, basil and lemon thyme mixed together - whoda thunk it?
Of course, from the recipe I just posted, lemon with blackberry or blueberries - always!
Try dill with orange; it creates an amazing different taste that taste buds love (think island fare) Cilantro provides the same effect, but it really isn't as good as dill.

Pears with cloves and a heavy red wine

Yes you can buy vegan marshmallows. Marshmallow creme used egg whites typically. fyi.
Joey Bloggs said:
... gelatin...
Kosher marshmellows use agar agar instead and are vegan. You might not know this, but many yogurts now use bovine gelatin as well. They are labelled as simply gelatin, but I called the manufacturers to ensure that it is bovine and not porcine because of my muslim guests. But I always ask my vegetarian guests or I use a brand that is gelatin free (we have a few small brands that are gelatin free.
(You can use agar agar to make panna cotta instead of gelatin, which is a nice change from yogurt in the morning and looks great served with blueberry or raspberry coulis on top in shot glasses.)
Oh... and peeps use porcine gelatin. That's right... there are pigs in those peeps.
peeps-yellow.jpg

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
... gelatin...
peeps-yellow.jpg
Yes, this is why I am sharing this. Many of the vegan variety use AGAR_AGAR which is a seaweed in lieu of the hogs hooves. Just in case, people don't realize this is out there.
Sorry to sidetrack, thought I would toss it out since people are buying peeps for guest treats this Easter time of year. There are many others who will not eat pork, as discussed 7th Day Adventist, as well as Kosher Jews and Muslim guests.

Okay, I need a bit more advice. I was thinking of making Almond Poppyseed Pancakes, but I was wonder what to serve next to it... thinking something like lemon curd? Any other ideas? Anyone have an easy way to make fresh lemon curd?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Okay, I need a bit more advice. I was thinking of making Almond Poppyseed Pancakes, but I was wonder what to serve next to it... thinking something like lemon curd? Any other ideas? Anyone have an easy way to make fresh lemon curd?
Make sure you tell them that if they are job hunting and required to the THE TEST (in a cup) the poppy seeds will make them test positive.

Okay, I need a bit more advice. I was thinking of making Almond Poppyseed Pancakes, but I was wonder what to serve next to it... thinking something like lemon curd? Any other ideas? Anyone have an easy way to make fresh lemon curd?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Make sure you tell them that if they are job hunting and required to the THE TEST (in a cup) the poppy seeds will make them test positive.
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Are you SERIOUS?
whattha.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Are you SERIOUS?
whattha.gif

Yes. Think of what herion is made from POPPIES! Poppy seeds will make a test positive. You should, if you have ingested poppy seeds in the last 48 hours, state that if taking the test.

Wow. Never knew that. Glad I'm not in a postion to be tested lol Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are one of my faves!!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
They are on vacation... and it's Canada... AC&C is over the counter. And under Canadian law, pre-employment and random drug testing are prohibited, in any case.

Back