Spiders!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
That time of year...just spent several hours outside cleaning windows and there are cobwebs and their makers EVERYWHERE! I like spiders in general but it was one giant sticky mess.
On the bright side, I tried the new Windex outdoor cleaner that you attach to your hose and it did a pretty nice job...not perfect, and we have hard water so I did finish with the squeegee, but it sure beat dragging the ladder out.

InnsiderInfo said:
On the bright side, I tried the new Windex outdoor cleaner that you attach to your hose and it did a pretty nice job...not perfect, and we have hard water so I did finish with the squeegee, but it sure beat dragging the ladder out.
That's good to know. We have solid windows on three sides of our great room that overlook the pond. And, of course, they're all 6 feet off the ground. I HATE HATE HATE washing windows!

thumbs_up.gif
i add my thumbs up to the windex outdoor.
i was in a harbor and we had 'salt sea air' hit the windows ... leaving a white film. i would blast the 'picture windows' that are up i guess three feet and behind rosa ragosa etc. with the windex outdoor. i sometimes had to scrub a bit so had a sponge mop at hand, then rinsed. pretty good!

Oh, ick...now it's spiders.... after bed bugs.
barf.gif

Spiders like to hide in our window weight pulley/cord systems. I just found a couple areas where there are some webs in between the storm windows and house windows. A couple of them I can't get to because some idiot in our second house painted the windows shut. grrrrrrrrrrr......
Our painter is due back to do some outside painting for us and I'll have him bust those windows loose for me so i can get to that area.
I use the outdoor Windex stuff on the storm windows and it works pretty well IF it's not so humid out.

Fall=mice invasion me. I guess it is time to get ready for that now!
The other part of that same show was a raccoon who killed this couples giant parrott. They found traces of rats under the house and set traps for the rats. The raccoons feed on the rats.

barf.gif

Spiders like to hide in our window weight pulley/cord systems. I just found a couple areas where there are some webs in between the storm windows and house windows. A couple of them I can't get to because some idiot in our second house painted the windows shut. grrrrrrrrrrr......
Our painter is due back to do some outside painting for us and I'll have him bust those windows loose for me so i can get to that area.
I use the outdoor Windex stuff on the storm windows and it works pretty well IF it's not so humid out..
Samster said:
barf.gif

I use the outdoor Windex stuff on the storm windows and it works pretty well IF it's not so humid out.
Did anyone see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? According to that, Windex would probably work on the bed bugs!

Fall=mice invasion me. I guess it is time to get ready for that now!
The other part of that same show was a raccoon who killed this couples giant parrott. They found traces of rats under the house and set traps for the rats. The raccoons feed on the rats..
Ewwwwwwwwwwww....did these people live in the woods??
barf.gif
It's bad enough we have to fight these stupid Southern bugs. yuk, yuk, yuk.....

Living on the lake , we have to spray for spiders every year. Our "SpiderMan" uses Prelude which is very specific for what it will kill. We powerwash the house first, then have him out to spray. We spot clean the windows to try to leave the chemistry to settle in. If you don't want to use chemistry, a good squirt with soap & water will suffocate the stinkers. Do it at night when they are out full force. We squegee the windows rather than use windex. Look on youtube for a good selection of window care videos!
BBBBob
www.mckinnonsbb.com

This was the gentleman I caught on the basement steps a few weeks ago. Big Hairy fella that could have carried my laundry basket for me!
I kept him for a while, then got uneasy about him escaping, so took him out the the woodshed and let him go.
glasses%20001.jpg

I was out watering and walked up to our front door and had the biggest black widow I have ever seen right on the door knob. This was two weeks ago.

Here's a beauty. Fortunately he was outside so we just left him there. Some of them are beautiful...this one happens to be a pacific northwest variety which is harmless.
Anniversary%202005%20053.jpg

Reading thsese posts has made me pick my bare feet up off the floor and tuck them underneath me on the chair ;)

barf.gif

I use the outdoor Windex stuff on the storm windows and it works pretty well IF it's not so humid out..
Samster said:
barf.gif

Did anyone see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? According to that, Windex would probably work on the bed bugs!
Readin my mind. Why do we think the same so often? is it the proximity of our states? ;^)

This was the gentleman I caught on the basement steps a few weeks ago. Big Hairy fella that could have carried my laundry basket for me!
I kept him for a while, then got uneasy about him escaping, so took him out the the woodshed and let him go.
glasses%20001.jpg
Woof - woof. Wolf Spider! One of the ones I don't mind picking up with my bare handes to take outside. It's the Black Widows that drive me mad. They used to stay outside, but we find them indoors now too. The house spiders of all sorts, inside and out, have been especially prolific in their breeding this year. Hunting for webs is a daily occurance. Spent one solid hour today on web patrol.
This little spider always fascinates me though - the jumping spider. When you walk past one they turn to follow you as you go by. He was only 1/4" long. I chased him/her, but I couldn't kill it. Too pretty.
spider.jpg

Stop the insanity!! Found a nice Daddy Long Legs minding his own business in the sink in the powder room under the stairs today.
I have these pretty black and green garden spiders that build HUGE webs.
Thank goodness for the super long handled duster I have. The spiders seem to work 24 hours/day and we don't. :)

glasses%20001.jpg
Woof - woof. Wolf Spider! One of the ones I don't mind picking up with my bare handes to take outside. It's the Black Widows that drive me mad. They used to stay outside, but we find them indoors now too. The house spiders of all sorts, inside and out, have been especially prolific in their breeding this year. Hunting for webs is a daily occurance. Spent one solid hour today on web patrol.
This little spider always fascinates me though - the jumping spider. When you walk past one they turn to follow you as you go by. He was only 1/4" long. I chased him/her, but I couldn't kill it. Too pretty.
spider.jpg

That's a beauty!!!!

glasses%20001.jpg
spider.jpg

I have seen this summer in the basment some kind of what I thought was a spider but my dh says it is a cricket. I don't think so at all. It is very fast and kind of jumps but I thought of it as a spider. It seems to sit high on it's legs. Anyone know what this might be. I have looked up pictures and can't find it. This is the first year I have seen this.

glasses%20001.jpg
spider.jpg

I have seen this summer in the basment some kind of what I thought was a spider but my dh says it is a cricket. I don't think so at all. It is very fast and kind of jumps but I thought of it as a spider. It seems to sit high on it's legs. Anyone know what this might be. I have looked up pictures and can't find it. This is the first year I have seen this.
sandynn said:
yes i think it might be the worst creatures on earth - the house cricket. i hate those bugs more than any other. I have set glue trap around and catch them once in a while, they truly freak me out.

glasses%20001.jpg
spider.jpg

sandynn said:
yes i think it might be the worst creatures on earth - the house cricket. i hate those bugs more than any other. I have set glue trap around and catch them once in a while, they truly freak me out.
I looked up house cricket and this doesn't look like that. It seems tall and jumps but I thought it was some kind of spider at first. I have looked and looked for a picture of it. I have never seen it until this year. It doesn't make noise. I just see it mostly at night. It is fast and jumps. It has a bent leg so it sits high. This is making me crazy trying to find out what it is. Oh it has very thin legs. Any ideas?

glasses%20001.jpg
spider.jpg

sandynn said:
I looked up house cricket and this doesn't look like that. It seems tall and jumps but I thought it was some kind of spider at first. I have looked and looked for a picture of it. I have never seen it until this year. It doesn't make noise. I just see it mostly at night. It is fast and jumps. It has a bent leg so it sits high. This is making me crazy trying to find out what it is. Oh it has very thin legs. Any ideas?
I don't know what they are but we have them in our basement, also. My DH calls them jumping spiders. I make sure to keep the dryer doors closed all the time so I won't find one in there.

Back