Spielberg's Lincoln to film in Va. this fall

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Spielberg's Lincoln to film in Va. this fall
May 4, 11:27 AM (ET)
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Gov. Bob McDonnell says Steven Spielberg will shoot his film biography of Abraham Lincoln in Virginia.
McDonnell said Wednesday the acclaimed filmmaker will begin principal filming this fall in Richmond and Petersburg. The movie is based on the Doris Kearns Goodwin book "Team of Rivals."
Daniel Day-Lewis will play Lincoln, while Sally Field is cast as Mary Todd Lincoln.
As the Civil War came to a close, Lincoln walked the streets of a smoldering Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy. His visit was cheered by black Virginians.

An amazing book, I am looking forward to Spielberg doing an awesome job with the movie. The Conspirator, the Robert Redford-directed movie which is out now about the Lincoln assassination is fantastic as well!

“Speaking of Spielberg… apparently a huge Spielberg Star had an "encounter" at a forum Innmate’s this week…”
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Formerly, at age 30, the youngest man to win Oscar for Best Actor[/COLOR]

Another Lincoln film is currently being filmed here... this one includes Vampires (ugg spare me).
A Billy Bob Thorton was dining in our local Chilis today. He is in another film currently in production here. A couple of weeks ago, Brad Pitt was around these parts in another film. Lots of ACTION around here!

“Speaking of Spielberg… apparently a huge Spielberg Star had an "encounter" at a forum Innmate’s this week…”
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Formerly, at age 30, the youngest man to win Oscar for Best Actor[/COLOR].
Joey Bloggs said:
And I am exhausted. Memorable experience but a lot of extra work and nervousness. I don't know how the people who do this on a regular basis manage.

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Formerly, at age 30, the youngest man to win Oscar for Best Actor[/COLOR].
Joey Bloggs said:
And I am exhausted. Memorable experience but a lot of extra work and nervousness. I don't know how the people who do this on a regular basis manage.
Your FB pic was adorable! So excited for you, they looked very nice and "normal"!

We just had the Next door town to us on 3 in a Bed! it is a lady I know slightly (over the phone) she didnt win but portrayed herself and her place and knaresborough very well. She said in the paper this week that she has been overwhelmed with people trying to book and has sent them all over knaresborough and the local area. Good PR for us all! (the Royal Oak in Knaresborough)
Knares is as close to us as being in the same town.

Our career community is dedicated to helping Professionals,like you, connect with local employers and find great career opportunities in the Bay Area. We even provide email alerts to inform you as soon as new opportunities become available and offer the latest information and resources to help you land a great job and advance in your career.Lincoln Jobs is the leading job board for hourly and skilled, and full- time and part-time jobs in Lincoln. Find listings of Lincoln jobs across numerous job industries. Also, search upcoming job fairs in Lincoln and meet prospective employers that are hiring. If you are interested in good jobs then view Lincoln jobs site

Our career community is dedicated to helping Professionals,like you, connect with local employers and find great career opportunities in the Bay Area. We even provide email alerts to inform you as soon as new opportunities become available and offer the latest information and resources to help you land a great job and advance in your career.Lincoln Jobs is the leading job board for hourly and skilled, and full- time and part-time jobs in Lincoln. Find listings of Lincoln jobs across numerous job industries. Also, search upcoming job fairs in Lincoln and meet prospective employers that are hiring. If you are interested in good jobs then view Lincoln jobs site

If you want to do something special before 2012 is over, see LINCOLN. It is a worthwhile experience. You will gain much by seeing this movie by Steven Spielberg, the actors like Daniel Day Lewis are extraordinaire!

Yep, best movie I've seen this year!
But then, I haven't seen The Hobbit yet :)

But then, I haven't seen The Hobbit yet :).
Arkansawyer said:
Well I was (wait I won't insert a joke here like I was going to do) let's say my two teenagers were not that happy when people were lined up for The Hobbit and they got to see Lincoln with Mom and Dad. "Dad" was not so pleased either, he would rather see Statham action and carnage.
But they were pleased to find out they can see the Hobbit this weekend, and all is well.
I enjoyed even moreso that Spielberg had the White House exactly as it would have been with Lincoln roaming the halls in the wee hours, distressed over the decisions he was making or had to make. Did you see that? Even the ticking (sound) of his pocket watch in the movie was from his original watch they borrowed from a museum.

Didn't know they got down to the watch tick level, but I love that they did! That's dedication. They'd probably have made as much money without that, so doing it, just to be doing their best, is quite impressive.
I suspect working with Daniel Day-Lewis causes everybody in the company to turn their effort up an extra notch or two. Spielberg said he wore a suit to work every day on this movie, which he'd never done before, just because it seemed to be the right thing to do.

But then, I haven't seen The Hobbit yet :).
Arkansawyer said:
Well I was (wait I won't insert a joke here like I was going to do) let's say my two teenagers were not that happy when people were lined up for The Hobbit and they got to see Lincoln with Mom and Dad. "Dad" was not so pleased either, he would rather see Statham action and carnage.
But they were pleased to find out they can see the Hobbit this weekend, and all is well.
I enjoyed even moreso that Spielberg had the White House exactly as it would have been with Lincoln roaming the halls in the wee hours, distressed over the decisions he was making or had to make. Did you see that? Even the ticking (sound) of his pocket watch in the movie was from his original watch they borrowed from a museum.
For those who haven't seen it yet, there's not really a "spoiler" because we all know he was assassinated...
it's helpful to have a scorecard beforehand because the characters aren't really introduced, so a couple of places to study up before you go are the FB page and there's also a Wiki page. I have a friend with macular degeneration who recently found out that she can see things well enough on the big screen so I'll be seeing it a second time with her, and I will bone up on the characters before I go back.

As a "history person", I recognized all the major players quite well without the scorecard, but I can see where it would be helpful to many. Thanks for mentioning that, Innkeep.
I LOVED how every single person in the movie was a perfect "character". The hair and makeup and costuming just made me feel like I was really back in 1865, more so that most movies.
By the way, thinking of Innkeep's avatar, I must mention that the other favorite movie I've seen lately was The King's Speech. Enjoyed it almost as much as Lincoln, and that's really saying something!

As a "history person", I recognized all the major players quite well without the scorecard, but I can see where it would be helpful to many. Thanks for mentioning that, Innkeep.
I LOVED how every single person in the movie was a perfect "character". The hair and makeup and costuming just made me feel like I was really back in 1865, more so that most movies.
By the way, thinking of Innkeep's avatar, I must mention that the other favorite movie I've seen lately was The King's Speech. Enjoyed it almost as much as Lincoln, and that's really saying something!.
Edwin Stanton and I were born in the same city - Steubenville, Ohio. There is a statue of him in front of the courthouse.
We toured Lincoln's home in Springfield, Illinois years ago and also the house in Galena, Illinois that Galena gave to Grant after the Civil War. Lincoln gave a campaign speech from a balcony at the DeSoto Hotel in Galena. We stayed there for our 4th anniversary simply because it was an historic hotel - it was in renovations at the time and you could book a private bath or a bath down the hall!!

and so...the girls saw the three hour long HOBBIT yesterday, and they couldn't wait to report back a scene. Apparently the scene went something like this:
"Hand me that rag!"
"This is not a rag"
"It has holes in it"
"It is a hand crocheted doily!"

and so...the girls saw the three hour long HOBBIT yesterday, and they couldn't wait to report back a scene. Apparently the scene went something like this:
"Hand me that rag!"
"This is not a rag"
"It has holes in it"
"It is a hand crocheted doily!".
hahahaha...that's great that they remembered that doily interchange from a 3 hour movie! :)

"Hand me that rag!"
"This is not a rag"
"It has holes in it"
"It is a hand crocheted doily!".
hahahaha...that's great that they remembered that doily interchange from a 3 hour movie! :)
Samster said:
Doilies have that effect on people ;-)

Back