Spots on my white bed linen

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
All my bed linen is white egyptian or pima cotton. Occasionally small dots appear on it, sometimes pen, often butterflies land on it on the line and leave pollen marks, sometimes I've no idea where they come from (and I don't mean that in an icky way!)
Despite washing and vanish and scrubbing they wont go and are in prominent places on the bed.
I wonder if anyone has found a way of covering them up. I've tried tipex and plimsol cleaner without much success. White undercoat works but I'm not getting a tin of paint out every time I see a mark.
Any ideas?

much to my surprise, i used the tide pen with great success. tried using a little tide detergent instead and that didn't work.
i prefer plain old hydrogen peroxide and then sunlight myself, but sometimes that doesn't do it.
hope you can get the spots out!

Sometimes I put oxyclean and then put fabric safe bleach on it, leave it for about a minute or two and then into the wash. This has pretty much removed about 90% of the stains. But ink is a bit different.... I usually use hairspray.
The tide pen I think has dry cleaning solvent in it.

much to my surprise, i used the tide pen with great success. tried using a little tide detergent instead and that didn't work.
i prefer plain old hydrogen peroxide and then sunlight myself, but sometimes that doesn't do it.
hope you can get the spots out!.
That has been my life saver lately. Hydrogen Peroxide. Cleans and disinfects all at the same time.Cheap too!

Never heard of the tide pen before, don't think it's generally available in the UK, but found some on Ebay. Have ordered one, so we'll see how that goes.
Thank you.

Sometimes I put oxyclean and then put fabric safe bleach on it, leave it for about a minute or two and then into the wash. This has pretty much removed about 90% of the stains. But ink is a bit different.... I usually use hairspray.
The tide pen I think has dry cleaning solvent in it..
Hairspray?? Will give that a go too.
Oxiclean is not so easy to get here, the pre-treat gel stick looks interesting, but is only available on ebay from the US. As the cheapest is £11 (with P&P) I'l keep that one in reserve.
Thank you.

That has been my life saver lately. Hydrogen Peroxide. Cleans and disinfects all at the same time.Cheap too!
Flower said:
There seems to be lots of different products, from food grade 3% to commercial at 35%. Which do you use?

Grateful as I am for the washing advice I'd still like to know if anyone has any techniques for hiding spots once the linen is on the bed.

Grateful as I am for the washing advice I'd still like to know if anyone has any techniques for hiding spots once the linen is on the bed..
Highlands John said:
Grateful as I am for the washing advice I'd still like to know if anyone has any techniques for hiding spots once the linen is on the bed.
I'm anticipating Arky's response here. "how about a big doily?"

Oxiclean is not so easy to get here, the pre-treat gel stick looks interesting, but is only available on ebay from the US. As the cheapest is £11 (with P&P) I'l keep that one in reserve.
Thank you.
I have been told that Tesco and Morrisson's carry Oxi. Someone also said that Poundland, Wilkinsons and Asda may also have it. They may have it at Costco, but you would have to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for it.

Take non-washable markers and draw a picture or flowers - whatever tickles your fancy.
One of the twins had a 3rd grade teacher who had the kids make tablecloths & napkins with these. They were so neat. I had mine (they were for Room Mothers) made into a quilt that the daughter took. You have nothing to lose and could end up with a really neat (and unique) set of sheets.

Hydrogen Peroxide(3%) and a squeeze of lemon juice, then out in the sun got many a stain out of our stuff that other modern chemicals were unable to budge.

Flower said:
There seems to be lots of different products, from food grade 3% to commercial at 35%. Which do you use?
Sorry in so late before I got back to you. It has been a very long day. I just had a look at my bottle. It was the cheapest I could get It is 3% solution. I just used it to get some juice out of my tea towels.

Thank you.
I have been told that Tesco and Morrisson's carry Oxi. Someone also said that Poundland, Wilkinsons and Asda may also have it. They may have it at Costco, but you would have to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for it.
I know they do it as ASDA cos I buy it from there - its the same chain as Walmart.

The tide pen I think has dry cleaning solvent in it.
I agree with above
bedding

Back