Spreading the word about air B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While taxes should be a large reason to pursue the unlicensed, it is not the only reason. Licenses are approved, or not, by the council for many reasons including neighborhood ordinances, parking, etc. as well as fire code and the like. I like most of you had to jump through hoops to be approved.
And OH PLEASE, I am tired of hearing about how much each spend when they come. It depends on the local and the reason for the visit, I have had many, especially of late, hibernate in the room or on site never leaving until check out or going out and coming back with a pizza or Micky D's bag... Where other than thin air the Tourism groups come up with these figures?

I saw this article and sent a copy to the local newspaper. Almost everyone of these is illegal around here. I wish the revenue department went after them for unpaid taxes..
this is what annoys me - they are clearly listed with addresses and easy to find - so why is no one checking?
this is what annoys me - they are clearly listed with addresses and easy to find - so why is no one checking?
Probably because the bureaucrats think it is not enough money to go after. The fools do not stop to think that a dollar here and a dollar there adds up in addition to the extra taxes and fees they should be collecting that we are paying and so should everyone else. They will wait until the first person gets hurt - or dies - to condemn it and go after making them comply with the fire codes, health codes, and all the other BS we have to deal with, including insurance.
When I opened, people here (including our City Council) did not expect us to survive ("who is going to come to Shinnston?") but they welcome my B & O tax checks quarterly and my business license money every year. Council at least, has seen the light.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/09/airbnb-research-data-dump/
what air B&B says to defend itself!
The defense of spending more money doesn't make up for the taxes stolen. And that is the point, AirBnB is aiding and abetting the theft of state/provincial taxes as well as federal taxes. (And often city taxes as well.)
Those stays don't pay.... sales taxes, tourism/hotel taxes and most importantly, they don't pay income tax. In the US that is 10% to 35% of income. Sure they spend more money, but they are stealing more money as well.
That's like the robber going in front of the judge and saying, well, yes, I stole $1 million dollars, but I spent it in the community and therefore other businesses gained revenue from it. You are still tax evading criminals. Does RICO apply?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Those stays don't pay.... sales taxes, tourism/hotel taxes and most importantly, they don't pay income tax. In the US that is 10% to 35% of income. Sure they spend more money, but they are stealing more money as well.
And yet AirB&B has ads on FB to earn money renting unused rooms. The ads have been non stop (at least in my view) for the last week!

While taxes should be a large reason to pursue the unlicensed, it is not the only reason. Licenses are approved, or not, by the council for many reasons including neighborhood ordinances, parking, etc. as well as fire code and the like. I like most of you had to jump through hoops to be approved.
And OH PLEASE, I am tired of hearing about how much each spend when they come. It depends on the local and the reason for the visit, I have had many, especially of late, hibernate in the room or on site never leaving until check out or going out and coming back with a pizza or Micky D's bag... Where other than thin air the Tourism groups come up with these figures?.
the cooler crowd as they call them in VT.

Think this new idea from Air B&B is excellent! how can we take advantage of it?
http://thenextweb.com/2012/11/13/airbnb-unveils-neighborhoods-and-local-lounges/

Back