Spreading the word about air B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B-B-owners-v-online-hosts-who-don-t-pay-city-taxes-4026342.php
It is also repeated in the seattle post intelligencer - so you never know someone might read it!

That's good. Laws often are a step or two behind new things and new technology, but articles like this can help get that fixed.
Laws piled on laws can be a burden, but fair is fair, and if one group must live under them, their competitors should live under them too. Of course, there's also the aspect of protecting the public, but my own slant is protecting the businesses from unfair competition.

Bonnie is an excellent spokesperson for the New Orleans group. She is also a past-president of the Louisiana B & B Association.

The tax thing though, in some states if you have one or two rooms only you don't pay tax on these rooms. Not the way we pay them, occupancy, sales, meals tax.

N.O. has had this issue for as long as there have been rooms unused, these unlicensed owners now just have a new easier way to get the word out that they exist. The problem that exists is there are not enough manpower within local gov. to keep everyone on the up and up. Changing the tax laws may be the best avenue to pursue this.
Bonnie is an excellent spokesperson for B&B's in LA as well as Joe and Ashton.

in the UK its a bit of a weird mix (a) you want to rent out a few rooms in your house - as long as you live there you are not required to pay any special taxes or have any special permits under the rent a room scheme if you don't make more than XYZ amount of revenue its no one's business
However you do have to have public liability insurance, risk assessment, fire inspection, fire doors, integrated alarm and food hygiene - which is why many start up and then are closed down by the fire department when they are reported or they are spotted. The fire stuff especially isn't cheap ie $7000 per property and that's not for a big one either makes it so it isn't worth it for the little guys unless they buy somewhere where its already done.

N.O. has had this issue for as long as there have been rooms unused, these unlicensed owners now just have a new easier way to get the word out that they exist. The problem that exists is there are not enough manpower within local gov. to keep everyone on the up and up. Changing the tax laws may be the best avenue to pursue this.
Bonnie is an excellent spokesperson for B&B's in LA as well as Joe and Ashton..
I met Bonnie in 2005 and Joe and Ashton in 2006.

I saw this article and sent a copy to the local newspaper. Almost everyone of these is illegal around here. I wish the revenue department went after them for unpaid taxes.

I saw this article and sent a copy to the local newspaper. Almost everyone of these is illegal around here. I wish the revenue department went after them for unpaid taxes..
this is what annoys me - they are clearly listed with addresses and easy to find - so why is no one checking?

I saw this article and sent a copy to the local newspaper. Almost everyone of these is illegal around here. I wish the revenue department went after them for unpaid taxes..
this is what annoys me - they are clearly listed with addresses and easy to find - so why is no one checking?
Probably because the bureaucrats think it is not enough money to go after. The fools do not stop to think that a dollar here and a dollar there adds up in addition to the extra taxes and fees they should be collecting that we are paying and so should everyone else. They will wait until the first person gets hurt - or dies - to condemn it and go after making them comply with the fire codes, health codes, and all the other BS we have to deal with, including insurance.
When I opened, people here (including our City Council) did not expect us to survive ("who is going to come to Shinnston?") but they welcome my B & O tax checks quarterly and my business license money every year. Council at least, has seen the light.

Probably because the bureaucrats think it is not enough money to go after. The fools do not stop to think that a dollar here and a dollar there adds up in addition to the extra taxes and fees they should be collecting that we are paying and so should everyone else. They will wait until the first person gets hurt - or dies - to condemn it and go after making them comply with the fire codes, health codes, and all the other BS we have to deal with, including insurance.
When I opened, people here (including our City Council) did not expect us to survive ("who is going to come to Shinnston?") but they welcome my B & O tax checks quarterly and my business license money every year. Council at least, has seen the light.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/09/airbnb-research-data-dump/
what air B&B says to defend itself!

The defense of spending more money doesn't make up for the taxes stolen. And that is the point, AirBnB is aiding and abetting the theft of state/provincial taxes as well as federal taxes. (And often city taxes as well.)
Those stays don't pay.... sales taxes, tourism/hotel taxes and most importantly, they don't pay income tax. In the US that is 10% to 35% of income. Sure they spend more money, but they are stealing more money as well.
That's like the robber going in front of the judge and saying, well, yes, I stole $1 million dollars, but I spent it in the community and therefore other businesses gained revenue from it. You are still tax evading criminals. Does RICO apply?

The defense of spending more money doesn't make up for the taxes stolen. And that is the point, AirBnB is aiding and abetting the theft of state/provincial taxes as well as federal taxes. (And often city taxes as well.)
Those stays don't pay.... sales taxes, tourism/hotel taxes and most importantly, they don't pay income tax. In the US that is 10% to 35% of income. Sure they spend more money, but they are stealing more money as well.
That's like the robber going in front of the judge and saying, well, yes, I stole $1 million dollars, but I spent it in the community and therefore other businesses gained revenue from it. You are still tax evading criminals. Does RICO apply?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Robin Hood.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Robin Hood.
You do realize that for every person who doesn't pay their income taxes, the government needs a higher percentage from YOU to make up for it, right?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Robin Hood.
You do realize that for every person who doesn't pay their income taxes, the government needs a higher percentage from YOU to make up for it, right?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Please don't call me daft, I get the whole thing, I was saying your comparison is like Robin Hood, and if we aren't careful AirBnB will become a folk legend! haha
Don't start on the gvmt, please, oh please...

We're on the air site with our vacation rental only. We've done OK by it. But if you book with us there, you'll pay a bit more. Our price there is higher to cover the fees. Only one group figured it out and went to our site to book online and cheaper. No one else for 20 miles around is on the site, and I find it increasingly lumps us with larger towns nearby, even if you search specifically for our town. Our visibility on the air site has gone way down in the last couple of months. We of course, pay the usual lodging taxes on bookings from that source.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Robin Hood.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Please don't call me daft, I get the whole thing, I was saying your comparison is like Robin Hood, and if we aren't careful AirBnB will become a folk legend! haha
Don't start on the gvmt, please, oh please...
I wasn't calling you daft, I just didn't see the connection with Robin Hood. If anything, I was the idiot.

Back