Spring Bookings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree...April usually starts slow for us but by late April we should be running at max occupancy. Not so this year. Numbers are down, lots of openings ahead...I would start to think it was something we did until I check my regional site and see the the other inns are all open too. (recession, scare of flu...) I think is leading to a slow start for this tourist region.
I've heard similar from clients in other parts of the country.... the odd thing is, all of the web traffic is UP...must be a lot of people hoping/dreaming to get away, but running smack into the expense of getting away..
Hey, I'll be there in a few weeks! (Not with you, too far, but the general area.) I may call and drive over if I can tear myself away from the new g-baby.
Well you can hold bwirt and tell youself he is a grand LOL Drool is drool right?
You have to come this way, all the good wineries are in this direction from where you are staying ;)
swirt said:
Well you can hold bwirt and tell youself he is a grand LOL Drool is drool right?
You have to come this way, all the good wineries are in this direction from where you are staying ;)
C'mon, g-baby drool is g-baby drool. Totally different category!
wink_smile.gif
Altho, quite frankly, I feel at least like an aunt to bwirt!

Spring is a very slow season around here. My high season rates don't kick in until the last weekend of June. But April was way up compared to last year and May will do even better based on the bookings so far. If we fill up for the May Two-Four like we usually do, that'll be even better.
The black flies just came out in the last couple days so they'll start biting any day now. They're earlier than usual by a week or two so that could slow things down until we get some good hot weather. I don't even want to be here during black fly season; it seems cruel to try to entice guests to come..
happyjacks said:
the May Two-Four .
What is that?

from Virginia.org tourism newsletter
Website Visitation
Through April 2009
arrowup.gif
UP 5.4% YTD

[FONT=&quot]Lodging Occupancy Rates[/FONT]
Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif
DOWN 7.2% from same period of 2008

[FONT=&quot]Car Rentals[/FONT]
Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif
DOWN 3.5% from same period of 2008

[FONT=&quot]Gas Sales[/FONT]
Through December 2008
arrowdown.gif
DOWN 3.7% from the same period of 2007

Website Visitation
Through April 2009
arrowup.gif
UP 5.4% YTD

Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif

Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif

Through December 2008
arrowdown.gif
Looking but not booking?

Spring is a very slow season around here. My high season rates don't kick in until the last weekend of June. But April was way up compared to last year and May will do even better based on the bookings so far. If we fill up for the May Two-Four like we usually do, that'll be even better.
The black flies just came out in the last couple days so they'll start biting any day now. They're earlier than usual by a week or two so that could slow things down until we get some good hot weather. I don't even want to be here during black fly season; it seems cruel to try to entice guests to come..
happyjacks said:
the May Two-Four .
What is that?
Memorial Day is celebrated on May 24 this year. Could be that?

happyjacks said:
the May Two-Four .
What is that?
penelope said:
happyjacks said:
the May Two-Four .
What is that?
It's a long weekend. The holiday falls on the Monday before May 24th. People typically enjoy the weekend by getting out of town... going to the cottage, or camping, or just having a back yard barbeque. The holiday is properly called Victoria Day but most everyone refers to it as the May Two-Four.
(coincidently, or not, a two-four is also the common name for a case of 24 bottles of beer)

Website Visitation
Through April 2009
arrowup.gif
UP 5.4% YTD

Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif

Through March 2009
arrowdown.gif

Through December 2008
arrowdown.gif
Was at our C&VB today and they said this week was quiet all over town. My dh came home from work and told me that all corporate travel for his company has been suspended until further notice because of the flu (he works for one of the major employers here). hmmmm....not good.

I'm not as busy this May as last year but so far I have 44 rooms booked. Just had a call a few hours ago for a room tonight. Last May I had 82 rooms booked. The graduation helps at the university down the road.

may of 08 we have only been open since february 08, I had a total of 6 rooms...wow.....but june was booked almost solid.
May 09 so far 10 rooms.....up 4 from last year...with all types of advertising.....:(
Lets not give up hope....they will come....
When i travel, I don't book until the last minute

may of 08 we have only been open since february 08, I had a total of 6 rooms...wow.....but june was booked almost solid.
May 09 so far 10 rooms.....up 4 from last year...with all types of advertising.....:(
When i travel, I don't book until the last minute.
I hear you Mooseberry! I had been open since March 2008 and we had 28 room nights booked...this year 6 room nights :-( I think this week is now slow because of the flu scare along with the economy. I did get some reservations yesterday for June, though.

Sam - being in the south like me, your May can be good or bad, changing just like the weather! I have been looking at my past v present both by month and quarterly. What I found was that so far - quarterly my average is very close to the same as last year - which was a good year for us. BUT monthly my April was way down from last year, while my May is one of the best May's I have had (excluding '06 due to Katrina @ 100% occ). My summer is almost a blank slate - but really not unusual! Each year I go though panic spells when looking ahead at June, July & August but try to be optimistic and it ususally works to at least get us by until fall. (I am counting on it again this year).
Lets all focus on having the phones ring and booking emails filling our mailbox!

I hear you Mooseberry! I had been open since March 2008 and we had 28 room nights booked...this year 6 room nights :-( I think this week is now slow because of the flu scare along with the economy. I did get some reservations yesterday for June, though.
Samster said:
Wow only 6 rooms booked in 2009? That is like one a month.

Samster said:
I think she means in May.

Samster said:
Heavens no! That is just what is booked for May so far. Jan thru April have been really good :)

Samster said:
Heavens no! That is just what is booked for May so far. Jan thru April have been really good :)
Thanks. I mis-understood that. Sorry.

Back