Spring Break

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Our Spring Break business was surprisingly brisk. Unfortunately, most were one-nighters, which meant a lot of room flips. We would like to be better prepared for next season.
Do any of you impose a 2-night minimum during Spring Break or other peak periods? If so, do you raise your rates or discount?

We have a two-night minimum even on weekdays during our theater festival - prices stay the same. No senior discounts, though we do a third night at half-price for the two shoulder nights.

When its conferences here we do a whatever the event is minimum ie 3 nights with a 10% discount on the shoulder nights to encourage a longer stay seems to work. We don't discount but these events 90% of the time are single occupancy which is a lot less work ie 1 person per room is 12 people full capacity we are 24. We therefore do a single occupancy rate which is about $18 cheaper than a 2 person rate. However we certainly don't do 1 person at half the price of 2! I have a bee in my bonet as a woman stayed with my neighbour in a single ensuite room at a very reasonable price and said in her review that she was ripped off as all single travellers are!!!!

We don't have anything like that here so it's rare when we impose a 2-night min. Prices go up based on occupancy. IF we get early bookings, we raise the rates.
If we did have something like that then we would impose a minimum and raise rates in advance.

We have a two night minimum on weekends all year, but I'll put 3 night minimum at regular price for major holiday weekends. I'd rather have less flips than slightly more money. The thing about minimums is that you can always lift them when you get closer to the holiday. If I'm not filling the 3 nights, I'll lift the minimum to 2 about 2 weeks prior to the holiday.

We have a 2-night minimum between Sept-May and a 3-night minimum June, July and August which is our high season. We relax these minimums if we have not filled the dates a week out, but, like Diva, we would rather have fewer flips than more money.

Our riverside cottages have 2-night minimum on weekends, plus on Labor Day, Memorial Day, and 4th of July. We also do it any time the place is in demand, like a festival in the area that fills accommodations up, or for spring break, if anybody came here for spring break.

We have a 2-night minimum between Sept-May and a 3-night minimum June, July and August which is our high season. We relax these minimums if we have not filled the dates a week out, but, like Diva, we would rather have fewer flips than more money..
thing is for us in a lot of ways a change is more expensive than a service ie
1 - may reuse towels which saves washing and drying
2- Saves changing the bedlinen plus washing and drying
3- if you have a chamber maid then a service is shorter than a change so cheaper in wages
4- if no chamber maid then it is a saving in your having a back and a life
5- we have our current lot in for 3 days so basically I have today and tomorro afternoons off as don't have to wait in for anyone!
6- 4 of them didn't come for breakfast so saved 4 lots of food though would have been nice if they had let me know!

Back