Spring is here for certain - the Produce Store had ramps!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Oops, started to write today but it was officially yesterday (I am on hour 22 after a wakeful Sunday night - DH seem to have his wakeful nights the night before I have guests and a marathon day). Anyway, went to the produce store and there was a bushel of ramps - $2.99 per pound! Have already heard about 4 Ramp Suppers too (fundraisers in Spring - Fall & Winter it would be Spaghetti Dinners). Spring is here at last!

I got just a few ramps so I could show all y'all what they look like.
Ramps.jpg

About two weeks ago our restaurants started to get some. It's still sporadic and I'm afraid they will be gone by the time I get home.

ok ... i could google them ... but i'm being lazy. what are they? what do they taste like? do you eat just the green leafy part? ... and ... why?

ok ... i could google them ... but i'm being lazy. what are they? what do they taste like? do you eat just the green leafy part? ... and ... why?.
They are sort of like a combination of onions and garlic. Kind of like a wild leek. I have plenty of wild onions in my garden....too bad they aren't ramps...I could sell to my local restaurant:-(
We were at a festival where they were being served...very strong aroma...though everyone raved about them....Strong enough, in fact, that even ramp-lovers will advise caution. If you sit down to a big meal of ramps, don't be surprised if people continue to keep their distance after a few days have passed!
Since I am not a fan of any kind of onions..so we passed.

Isn't it funny? I've never heard of them before, but now twice in two days. Are they a regional thing? The other person is in North Carolina.

I got my edumucation a few years ago on these delicacies here on the forum. Still have not tried them, I will eventually. :)

Lucky you! Now how will you use them at breakfast? Ramp omelets? We've started a small patch of them in the yard but there are too few to harvest yet.

Lucky you! Now how will you use them at breakfast? Ramp omelets? We've started a small patch of them in the yard but there are too few to harvest yet..
I just got them to photograph. DH will eat them. And then stay away from me for at least 3 days!

Isn't it funny? I've never heard of them before, but now twice in two days. Are they a regional thing? The other person is in North Carolina..
Do not feel badly because you never heard of them. I grew up in WV about 125 miles from here and never heard of them until we moved here - although it may be because I was a kid and back then kids did not know everything. I think it is regional and has to do with being near mountains.

ok ... i could google them ... but i'm being lazy. what are they? what do they taste like? do you eat just the green leafy part? ... and ... why?.
You trim off the roots and clean them like you would green onions. They are eaten raw, fried, boiled, chopped ... Like green onions the whole thing is used. As for taste - GOD took the worst of green onion and married it to the worst of garlic and clled it a ramp. the only people who will willingly go near anyone who has eaten ramps - for at least 3 days - is someone who has also eaten ramps. Do NOT breathe on me!

Hope you blogged it since it is regional K.
I have learned of a lot of things that grow around here like sassafras trees, ginseng, I need to look into that a bit more. I read a book about a kid in the mountains selling the ginseng or I wouldn't have known. Sassafras is banned in rootbeer now, but groundhogs and black bears still love it and it is used in gumbo.
Trivia for today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginseng

Hope you blogged it since it is regional K.
I have learned of a lot of things that grow around here like sassafras trees, ginseng, I need to look into that a bit more. I read a book about a kid in the mountains selling the ginseng or I wouldn't have known. Sassafras is banned in rootbeer now, but groundhogs and black bears still love it and it is used in gumbo.
Trivia for today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginseng.
Thank you. I did. That is why I bought tried to buy (but I had so few she waved me to get out of there) the ramps, to photo for the blog and to show here. I edited the blog post to insert the photo.
Blogs are soemthing that do bring people to the web site for certain. I do not tout mine as I should and I know it, but in Nov our Library brought a lady up from Charleston who does a program as C ol Ru by B rad ley (I do not want this found on that search), an Army nurse from WV who was captured in the Phillipines in WWII and went on to serve as head nurse of all med units in Korea. I am still getting hits on that blog!

I saw a recipe for ramps that sounds good. They were at our farmer's market this weekend. The ones I saw were a little fatter at the ends and through the stems than Kathleen's - maybe because it's near the end of the season. Soppressata is a kind of Italian salami - you could substitute a similar product.

I saw a recipe for ramps that sounds good. They were at our farmer's market this weekend. The ones I saw were a little fatter at the ends and through the stems than Kathleen's - maybe because it's near the end of the season. Soppressata is a kind of Italian salami - you could substitute a similar product..
Kind of reminds me of the Thai Basil I had in your town. Mmmm

I saw a recipe for ramps that sounds good. They were at our farmer's market this weekend. The ones I saw were a little fatter at the ends and through the stems than Kathleen's - maybe because it's near the end of the season. Soppressata is a kind of Italian salami - you could substitute a similar product..
Kind of reminds me of the Thai Basil I had in your town. Mmmm
My new basil and mint are flourishing! The sage and oregano came back. Lavender and rosemary have new growth. I love fresh herbs. I've got the raised garden bed almost finished with being prepped to add some more herbs and try a few veggies again this year. We shall see............

Well I hope you are happy, I ate a ramp. Yep, a wild one.
Today was the day of the photography weekend and our guide who was an Appalachian Naturalist who had a habit of letting us smell and taste different things - saying we would remember the name and recognize them better if we did so, plus so many things have unique scents, like wild ginger.
So here is my pic, not my hand, he dug up this ramp when I asked if we had them in these mountains and yes, apparently we do.
I was the only one game enough to try it and tasted it the rest of the day...it was very spicy, I liked it.
lrg_Ramps.JPG

Today was the day of the photography weekend and our guide who was an Appalachian Naturalist who had a habit of letting us smell and taste different things - saying we would remember the name and recognize them better if we did so, plus so many things have unique scents, like wild ginger.
So here is my pic, not my hand, he dug up this ramp when I asked if we had them in these mountains and yes, apparently we do.
I was the only one game enough to try it and tasted it the rest of the day...it was very spicy, I liked it.
lrg_Ramps.JPG
I hope your wonderful DH won't make you sleep in the cottage tonight. Ramps are usually best if BOTH partners eat them. My guests liked them so well they asked me to get them some to take home with them. Instead of making them an anniversary cake, I am going to give them the 1.5 lbs of ramps.

lrg_Ramps.JPG
HOpe you got some great shots. How'd the weekend go? How many guests did you have that went on the hike?

Back