Square Footage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems she asked for the IDEAL size, like if you were building from scratch, just like I would say 'private entrances' would be ideal. She was not asking "what have you done and make do with" all of us with historic houses make do with a variety of things, imperfections that are part of the old house. I mean, turning closets into bathrooms, etc. Sure a large bath would be ideal for everyone, noone actually wants to hit their head on the door when sitting on the toilet.

She did ask for the ideal...but then, ideal is highly subjective, and we can only answer what we know and what we want compared with what we already have. If there was only one ideal, then we would all look the same...
Cherry, are you building an Inn, looking for an existing operating Inn or starting from scratch in an already built house?

She did ask for the ideal...but then, ideal is highly subjective, and we can only answer what we know and what we want compared with what we already have. If there was only one ideal, then we would all look the same...
Cherry, are you building an Inn, looking for an existing operating Inn or starting from scratch in an already built house?.
Little Blue said:
Cherry, are you building an Inn, looking for an existing operating Inn or starting from scratch in an already built house?
My DH and I had an idea, that may or may not work, for a downtown type of B&B. I was just trying to figure out how much square footage I would need to do what I want to start from scratch in an existing building.
Thanks for all the info!!
cheers.gif

I've seen sites of places that have the tup in the room.
Personaly.....I don't like that....a tub belongs in the bathroom

Personaly.....I don't like that....a tub belongs in the bathroom.
One Day said:
we have our whirlpool tub outside the bathroom in a nook off the bedroom. Personally, when I'm enjoying a whirlpool tub with a glass of sparkling wine, I would rather not look at the toilet.
I probably comes from growing up overseas.
Riki

Well yeah.....the view....looking at the toilet or stall shower may not be the best........but if it's a realy nice bathroom....
the one thing that realy bothers me regarding the tub in the room......carpeting.......all that I have seen while looking at B&B websites...those that have tub in room are carpeted. Never noticed if there as any tile in front of the tub...
I wouldn't want the guest or myself getting out of the tub dripping on the rug....even with a bath mat or bath rug in front.
Just like carpeting in a dinning room......just don't seem right

Let me throw a wrench in the works here. DW and I are already planning our future expansion. (yay! good first year!) We want to build a tree house cottage. I'm going to have to plan this in such a way that every square inch is usable space. I'm thinking that with the uniqueness of it, I might be able to get away with not have a lot of extra furniture inside, but rather have sitting areas on an exterior deck. We still want this to be a luxury accommodation, but with a twist...in the tree tops.
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower.

One Day said:
we have our whirlpool tub outside the bathroom in a nook off the bedroom. Personally, when I'm enjoying a whirlpool tub with a glass of sparkling wine, I would rather not look at the toilet.
Riki
egoodell said:
Not just if you grew up overseas. That would be my preference, too. One of the places we looked at buying had the whirlpool tub in a little nook facing the fireplace. That was a nice layout. I'm not crazy about the rooms where the tub is in full view of the bed, or right next to it.

nice idea
Think it would reguire being engineered for public use
the engineering and architect can be an expensive prosses
Still a nice idea though.....and an interesting twist for an accomodation

One Day said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Not just if you grew up overseas. That would be my preference, too. One of the places we looked at buying had the whirlpool tub in a little nook facing the fireplace. That was a nice layout. I'm not crazy about the rooms where the tub is in full view of the bed, or right next to it.
muirford said:
egoodell said:
You are correct, it needs to be placed carefully. I don't like it near the bed either, it looks just "slapped in there". Ours is in a nook off the bedroom on the way to the bathroom, and we have a pretty antique or old painted screen which can be moved for privacy if the guests wants it. They can see the fireplace from it. Nobody has ever moved the screen to my knowedge, but they have moved the little coffee table from the overstuffed chair in the nook over to by the tub to place their chocolate strawberries nearby.
RIki

Well yeah.....the view....looking at the toilet or stall shower may not be the best........but if it's a realy nice bathroom....
the one thing that realy bothers me regarding the tub in the room......carpeting.......all that I have seen while looking at B&B websites...those that have tub in room are carpeted. Never noticed if there as any tile in front of the tub...
I wouldn't want the guest or myself getting out of the tub dripping on the rug....even with a bath mat or bath rug in front.
Just like carpeting in a dinning room......just don't seem right.
You're right about the carpeting. When we bought our place, one of the big jacuzzi tubs was in a bath area which was carpeted. We ripped out the carpet and replaced with vinyl floors. Yuck...keep the water away from carpets!

Let me throw a wrench in the works here. DW and I are already planning our future expansion. (yay! good first year!) We want to build a tree house cottage. I'm going to have to plan this in such a way that every square inch is usable space. I'm thinking that with the uniqueness of it, I might be able to get away with not have a lot of extra furniture inside, but rather have sitting areas on an exterior deck. We still want this to be a luxury accommodation, but with a twist...in the tree tops.
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower..
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower.
We stayed at a B&B Treesort called Out and About It was great fun, but only a few of them had their own bathroom. Our treehouse had running water for a sink, but no toilet. This place is VERY popular and you have to make reservations way in advance. Be sure you read about the problems they had building it Legalitrees
They also have a lot of resources you might want to look at.
I love the idea of treehouses!

Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower..
PT - one piece of furniture you may consider is a Murphy bed, which would save floor space except when needed. This too would need to be thought out wisely based on the type of guests you attract or think you will attract for this cottage. For romantic getaways, the bed would be needed MOST of the time!!!

Thoughts?
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
We stayed at a B&B Treesort called Out and About It was great fun, but only a few of them had their own bathroom. Our treehouse had running water for a sink, but no toilet. This place is VERY popular and you have to make reservations way in advance. Be sure you read about the problems they had building it Legalitrees
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Thanks Diva! Awesome resource. I'm sending that link to my builder.

Thoughts?
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Thanks Diva! Awesome resource. I'm sending that link to my builder.
Happy to help. It's a cool idea. Keep us informed.

Back