Square Footage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about measurements, but our smallest room is 350 sq ft, then 500 sq ft, 677 sq ft & 800 sq ft. Great for our guests, but that's a lot of cleaning!

In our initial design we have 2 sizes, 381 sq. ft. and 361 sq. ft. The larger one has a "sleeper" alcove.

Let me throw a wrench in the works here. DW and I are already planning our future expansion. (yay! good first year!) We want to build a tree house cottage. I'm going to have to plan this in such a way that every square inch is usable space. I'm thinking that with the uniqueness of it, I might be able to get away with not have a lot of extra furniture inside, but rather have sitting areas on an exterior deck. We still want this to be a luxury accommodation, but with a twist...in the tree tops.
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower..
Proud Texan said:
Let me throw a wrench in the works here. DW and I are already planning our future expansion. (yay! good first year!) We want to build a tree house cottage. I'm going to have to plan this in such a way that every square inch is usable space. I'm thinking that with the uniqueness of it, I might be able to get away with not have a lot of extra furniture inside, but rather have sitting areas on an exterior deck. We still want this to be a luxury accommodation, but with a twist...in the tree tops.
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower.
We stayed at a B&B Treesort called Out and About It was great fun, but only a few of them had their own bathroom. Our treehouse had running water for a sink, but no toilet. This place is VERY popular and you have to make reservations way in advance. Be sure you read about the problems they had building it Legalitrees
They also have a lot of resources you might want to look at.
I love the idea of treehouses!
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower.
We stayed at a B&B Treesort called Out and About It was great fun, but only a few of them had their own bathroom. Our treehouse had running water for a sink, but no toilet. This place is VERY popular and you have to make reservations way in advance. Be sure you read about the problems they had building it Legalitrees
Thanks Diva! Awesome resource. I'm sending that link to my builder.
Happy to help. It's a cool idea. Keep us informed.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm getting together with my builder next week and we're going to start scoping out a location. The next step will be to get an arborist here to inspect the tree(s) we'll be using.
It will be a few months before construction can begin because the location will determine the floorplan and the logistical nightmare of getting water and electricity to the site.

Thoughts?
Edited to say: We'll be including a bathroom with a small shower stall and possibly an outdoor shower..
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm getting together with my builder next week and we're going to start scoping out a location. The next step will be to get an arborist here to inspect the tree(s) we'll be using.
It will be a few months before construction can begin because the location will determine the floorplan and the logistical nightmare of getting water and electricity to the site.
Have you cleared this project with your local powers that be? I know that Out and About had a terrible fight getting all the legal permits, etc.

Thoughts?
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Have you cleared this project with your local powers that be? I know that Out and About had a terrible fight getting all the legal permits, etc.
Breakfast Diva said:
Believe it or not, there are no powers that be. Our county has no building or health regulations. Only the cities do. There are no inspections. At the state level in Austin, there's just not that much covering B&Bs in rural areas. That may sound like a dream for some of you, but it's a nightmare for me.
It means that I have to take extra care to make sure everything we do is up to the accepted standards through research and asking a lot of questions.

Thoughts?
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Believe it or not, there are no powers that be. Our county has no building or health regulations. Only the cities do. There are no inspections. At the state level in Austin, there's just not that much covering B&Bs in rural areas. That may sound like a dream for some of you, but it's a nightmare for me.
It means that I have to take extra care to make sure everything we do is up to the accepted standards through research and asking a lot of questions.
If you follow the International Building Codes you will probably be safe now and in the future. Most places that did not have but finally do adopt building codes adopt those.

Thoughts?
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Thoughts?
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Holy cow, I thought I lived in the sticks! I see your double edged sword. It's great to be able to build whatever you want, but you better build it to a high standard just to protect yourself.
Being a devil's advocate here...have you checked with your insurance company to see if it will be a problem to insure?
devil_smile.gif
I'm sure you have, but let us know if the insurance co gave you a problem.

Back