Square Footage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry64

Reaction score
How big is the ideal bed and breakast room? Too small is bad, but too big is bad too. What is the average size that a bed and breakfast room should be? What if you want a whirlpool in the room or the bathroom? Or the ability to add one later?
Any input on this would be great! Thanks!
help.gif

Too big is bad? You mean for the owners to clean it?
My ideal room would be big enough for a king bed with space for side tables and room to get around them, and a sitting area.

Question for the forum as well: Do you charge more for ROOM SIZE or BED SIZE?

My ideal room would be big enough for a king bed with space for side tables and room to get around them, and a sitting area..
Joe Bloggs said:
My ideal room would be big enough for a king bed with space for side tables and room to get around them, and a sitting area.
Totally agree. King bed, night stands, dresser, sitting area, room for the suitcases and to walk around everything. A NICE sitting area, not a couple of straightback chairs. I don't need a big bathroom if we're talking bathroom size here as well. I'm impressed, but I don't need all that space. We still talk about the marble bathroom at Adare Manor that was the size of a nice dining room!
With doors and windows properly placed, I think you could have it all (not the bathroom, just the bedroom) in a space about 16x16. A little longer or shorter on the sides, but about that sq ftge.

Question for the forum as well: Do you charge more for ROOM SIZE or BED SIZE?.
Joe Bloggs said:
Both, in a way. Comparing a king bed with a queen bed in a space about the same size, the king bed is more. In a space with a queen bed but a very nice sitting area with fireplace, that goes for more than the king. Smaller queen with fireplace is the same as the king without the fireplace.

Question for the forum as well: Do you charge more for ROOM SIZE or BED SIZE?.
Joe Bloggs said:
Both, in a way. Comparing a king bed with a queen bed in a space about the same size, the king bed is more. In a space with a queen bed but a very nice sitting area with fireplace, that goes for more than the king. Smaller queen with fireplace is the same as the king without the fireplace.
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
You explained that very well Bree! That's exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't put it into a simple statement.

One way to think of it, is that, for the guest, the room IS their home away from home and not just a place to sleep. If they were just wanting a place to sleep, then they could have gone to a motel/hotel. Because they are visiting a B&B, it should be a notch above that experience.

My ideal room would be big enough for a king bed with space for side tables and room to get around them, and a sitting area..
Joe Bloggs said:
Totally agree. King bed, night stands, dresser, sitting area, room for the suitcases and to walk around everything. A NICE sitting area, not a couple of straightback chairs. I don't need a big bathroom if we're talking bathroom size here as well. I'm impressed, but I don't need all that space. We still talk about the marble bathroom at Adare Manor that was the size of a nice dining room!
With doors and windows properly placed, I think you could have it all (not the bathroom, just the bedroom) in a space about 16x16. A little longer or shorter on the sides, but about that sq ftge.
I think that it would be nice to have the ideal space a bit larger than 16 x 16 ft. That's a bit smaller than our Main House room with a King size bed. We have all the elements that Bree wants, plus a desk, and it could be a tad larger to be even more comfortable. You also have to take into consideration the configuration of doors, windows, and a fireplace (if there is one) when you talk guest room size. That affects furniture placement and the appearance or feel of spaciousness. I really think there's no easy answer to this one because it depends on what type of room experience you want to provide.

Our Inn is small, and our rooms are on the small side, but have room for a queen bed, two nightstands, dresser, fireplace, TV and at least one chair. Our largest room also has a twin daybed.
I've never heard a complaint about our rooms being small, never had a request for a king bed or a whirlpool. I don't think room size is as important as character and amenities...but that's just my personal opinion...I've stayed in great big rooms and little tiny rooms and enjoyed them all! Even in any one Inn, most rooms are different sizes, I think.

more and more, i hear, 'we want nothing smaller than a queen sized bed' ...

Our Inn is small, and our rooms are on the small side, but have room for a queen bed, two nightstands, dresser, fireplace, TV and at least one chair. Our largest room also has a twin daybed.
I've never heard a complaint about our rooms being small, never had a request for a king bed or a whirlpool. I don't think room size is as important as character and amenities...but that's just my personal opinion...I've stayed in great big rooms and little tiny rooms and enjoyed them all! Even in any one Inn, most rooms are different sizes, I think..
Little Blue said:
I've never heard a complaint about our rooms being small, never had a request for a king bed or a whirlpool.
Absence of proof is not proof of absence
Little Blue said:
I don't think room size is as important as character and amenities...but that's just my personal opinion...I've stayed in great big rooms and little tiny rooms and enjoyed them all! Even in any one Inn, most rooms are different sizes, I think.
Room size is not usually a determining factor, but might prevent them from booking again. They don't know the character until they are there - most website photos don't translate 'character' very well.
Our king beds sell first.

Joe Bloggs said:
I think that it would be nice to have the ideal space a bit larger than 16 x 16 ft. That's a bit smaller than our Main House room with a King size bed. We have all the elements that Bree wants, plus a desk, and it could be a tad larger to be even more comfortable. You also have to take into consideration the configuration of doors, windows, and a fireplace (if there is one) when you talk guest room size. That affects furniture placement and the appearance or feel of spaciousness. I really think there's no easy answer to this one because it depends on what type of room experience you want to provide.
Are you talking about 'my' room? That room is a perfect size. How big is it?

more and more, i hear, 'we want nothing smaller than a queen sized bed' ....
seashanty said:
more and more, i hear, 'we want nothing smaller than a queen sized bed' ...
We got rid of the last double bed 2 years ago. Even tho that was the 'plague' room, it booked more at a higher price than it had before once the bed was upsized. I definitely think putting a queen bed in there did that.
The king room didn't book as well as I thought it would, tho. Then everyone helped me with the pix and it's booking right up there this year. My top 3 rooms for bookings are the highest priced. And, surprisingly, the plague room has dropped off substantially even tho it is the lowest priced.

I've never heard a complaint about our rooms being small, never had a request for a king bed or a whirlpool. I don't think room size is as important as character and amenities...but that's just my personal opinion...I've stayed in great big rooms and little tiny rooms and enjoyed them all! Even in any one Inn, most rooms are different sizes, I think..
Little Blue said:
I've never heard a complaint about our rooms being small, never had a request for a king bed or a whirlpool.
Little Blue said:
I don't think room size is as important as character and amenities...but that's just my personal opinion...I've stayed in great big rooms and little tiny rooms and enjoyed them all! Even in any one Inn, most rooms are different sizes, I think.
Room size is not usually a determining factor, but might prevent them from booking again. They don't know the character until they are there - most website photos don't translate 'character' very well.
Are you saying if all rooms are not big enough for king beds... throw in the towel or consider your Inn to be inferior??

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Are you saying if all rooms are not big enough for king beds... throw in the towel or consider your Inn to be inferior??
Absolutely not what was being said. Just that because no one asked for it does not mean they would not have liked to have it. I was 3 with shared for 10 years. I have 2 rooms now that share a bath and only have full-sized in each of them. Guests have not said anything but I know if I could figure out how to fit a queen in there, even with shared, I would have more bookings and at a definitely higher rate of revenue. I do not have Jacuzzis but I do not know how many people passed on us because we do not have Jacuzzis because they never called in the first place. Same for king-size beds. Anyone who MUST have a king will pass on us because I do not have it but I can say no one has ever asked for a king....

what is the guest objection to the plague room, did you ever figure that out?

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Absolutely not what was being said. Just that because no one asked for it does not mean they would not have liked to have it. I was 3 with shared for 10 years. I have 2 rooms now that share a bath and only have full-sized in each of them. Guests have not said anything but I know if I could figure out how to fit a queen in there, even with shared, I would have more bookings and at a definitely higher rate of revenue. I do not have Jacuzzis but I do not know how many people passed on us because we do not have Jacuzzis because they never called in the first place. Same for king-size beds. Anyone who MUST have a king will pass on us because I do not have it but I can say no one has ever asked for a king....
Gotcha.
However, for me (and me alone, this does not apply to anyone else on the forum, and so on and so forth) our Inn's occupancy, revenues, repeat bookings and reviews make me happy enough with the size of my rooms and their queen beds! If I had larger rooms, would I put king beds in? Maybe, but I don't pine for them, or for jacuzzi tubs either. If I was unhappy with my revenues or occupancy, I might be worried. It's a moot point anyway, as I don't have room for them!
Anywho, my original point was to let cherry know that (at least in my case) rooms without King beds and jacuzzis do work. I would think that your demographic will ultimately dictate what you offer. If you've found a place you like, research on what other area Inns offer might steer you in the right direction. If everyone else has king beds and jacuzzi tubs, you might want to buy a place with them or the room to offer them...or count on having much lower rates (or maybe offering more amenities to stand out). Likewise, if other Inns in the area are offering mostly twin and full beds, queens might seem like a luxury. If you have a certain high revenue number you have to hit, and fewer rooms, the kings or tubs might be a necessity. If you plan to take kids, maybe bunk beds...if you could have three large rooms with king beds or five smaller with a queen, which would be better for you, in terms of revenue, food and other costs and your labor time?
So many variables to consider...really an individual decision. Isn't it ALL???
confused_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Gotcha.
However, for me (and me alone, this does not apply to anyone else on the forum, and so on and so forth) our Inn's occupancy, revenues, repeat bookings and reviews make me happy enough with the size of my rooms and their queen beds! If I had larger rooms, would I put king beds in? Maybe, but I don't pine for them, or for jacuzzi tubs either. If I was unhappy with my revenues or occupancy, I might be worried. It's a moot point anyway, as I don't have room for them!
Anywho, my original point was to let cherry know that (at least in my case) rooms without King beds and jacuzzis do work. I would think that your demographic will ultimately dictate what you offer. If you've found a place you like, research on what other area Inns offer might steer you in the right direction. If everyone else has king beds and jacuzzi tubs, you might want to buy a place with them or the room to offer them...or count on having much lower rates (or maybe offering more amenities to stand out). Likewise, if other Inns in the area are offering mostly twin and full beds, queens might seem like a luxury. If you have a certain high revenue number you have to hit, and fewer rooms, the kings or tubs might be a necessity. If you plan to take kids, maybe bunk beds...if you could have three large rooms with king beds or five smaller with a queen, which would be better for you, in terms of revenue, food and other costs and your labor time?
So many variables to consider...really an individual decision. Isn't it ALL???
confused_smile.gif

Yep. With mine it is this: It is what it is and that is all that it is.
I used to go to Board meetings at these wonderful mansions with large common rooms, beautiful decor and come home, look around and say - What a Dump! Then one day as I sat in a meeting in a gorgeous room with fretwork and woodwork and crystal chandeliers looking into a large dining room with wonderful decor and an other parlor to the other side, I found myself thinking " Boy, am I glad I don;t have to clean this place!" I came home with a totally different attitude toward my bit of heaven. I have this because it is me. I would not be comfortable living in a mansion because it is not me. I do not know if I am making sense, but that is how I feel about it.

What size is a good size room? One that provides space to move around without the need to be conserned of a possible stumped toe
cry_smile.gif
with each step. space for a night stand on each side of the bed (Queen /king), seating area and dresser...
My personal preference at home and traveling is for a queen and all our rooms have queens. Do I get requests for king - yes, but that is not happening here, even in our large rooms which could hold them easily. If they want a king, I will be happy to refer them to one of the hotels that have them, the closest B&B with them is 30 miles.
Back on the subject of room size...I was reminded by this post of a French couple that came to stay. They spoke very little English, and me very little French. First thing he did was to lay cross wise on the bed with his feet hanging off one side and this arms hanging off the other in complete joy. His wife said he was amazed of the size of the room (this one of my regular rooms ~300sq ft) that there was room to move on either side of the bed as well as the seating area. That picture will stay with me for a very long time...

Back