STAND OUT!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you stand out?
What does your website do to stand out? What about blog, social media and all online marketing?
Take a look at this and then get back to us.
Just a quick question before I go...when a guest arrives at your establishment do they know anything about you, the inn, the area or what is it you do there? I mean, after all they are in YOUR home, they are sleeping in YOUR beds, drinking YOUR coffee...should we give a little of ourselves, or make it a cold environment where they pay to sleep eat and go their way? Are we hotels/motels?
I was thinking about this, as another innmate is planning a trip staying at various B&B's along the way and per usual, getting frustrated as all get out by the lack of CONCISE information on all the websites...(plan a trip and you will find out real quick what we are talking about)...anyway, what is it that makes a website stand out? Is it having the basic info when and where you need it? Can you imagine THAT not being the main thing on any website?
Honestly you would really stand out if you just made it simple to see what it on offer, and how to book a room. BETTER YET allow us to book a room right then and there as after all, we are planning a whole trip! :)

Anytime I travel I get annoyed at the many websites that say nothing whatsoever about the presence of wifi. When I call them to ask, why yes, we do. Well, why don't you say so???
=)
Kk.

Had a guest email me about wifi today. Now that is the 1 thing we don't have. Trust me I wish we did have it....someday.
Here is a question ....If your neighbor had a big pond that provided a relaxing view would you take a picture and put that on your website?

Had a guest email me about wifi today. Now that is the 1 thing we don't have. Trust me I wish we did have it....someday.
Here is a question ....If your neighbor had a big pond that provided a relaxing view would you take a picture and put that on your website?.
Do you mean it's a pond that your guests can see and enjoy the view? If so, then why not? I'd ask/tell the neighbor first. The only real question I'd have is whether it would lead people to think that they could go over and USE the pond....and whether that could cause problems with your neighbor. (Of course, I don't know the situation so I'm asking.)

A few guests have ask if they could go over a fish. I don't want any problems with the neighbors. I just want to play it safe. So we do get alot of WOW this place is so nice.

don't post a pic of the neighbors pond and leave the impression it is yours.
However.....view pics are doable....after all many show view pics of mountains, hills, rivers, oceans....they don't own it.....but they show it as the view from the establishment.
As long as you make it known that it is a view pic, something seen from the property....fine.
Do ask the neighbor though.
Interesting thing.....next door to me they have a renter in the basement....doesn't drive.....coworkers or a taxi picks her up for work....this year the taxi has been stopping in front of my house, and I have seen the girl standing in my driveway waiting....couple weeks ago. I had asked the driver of the taxi what house # did she give......she gave my house #.
I have through the years had people take pictures of themselves in front of my house.....and many parents taking pictures of their kids in front of my house.......I'm flattered, it's a bit disturbing though....it's cool, so I just go with the flow........years ago........another neighbor, 2 daughters had gotten married.....both had asked to have bride pictures taken in my backyard...this I understand.......the backdrop, the surroundings.........just wondering if any of these folks have ever mentioned. "oh these pictures were taken at a very nice house, not ours"

Anytime I travel I get annoyed at the many websites that say nothing whatsoever about the presence of wifi. When I call them to ask, why yes, we do. Well, why don't you say so???
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We don't have wifi yet so I don't mention it. I don't like to mention a negative. ONly been asked for it about four times in three years. I have a laptop I can bring down if they need to check email and such.
RIki

Here is a question ....If your neighbor had a big pond that provided a relaxing view would you take a picture and put that on your website?.
MTL, are you on dial-up still?

We list every little detail about our place ad nauseum and NO ONE reads it. So you can't win.

No, never was on dial up. Why?.
MTLLodge said:
No, never was on dial up. Why?
Then you can provide wi-fi for your guests. You just need a router. Routers are very inexpensive and would be a great feature for you to offer. We're on sattelite and because our buildings are spread out, we have two routers to make the wi-fi accessible to all our guest rooms. Each router shoots the signal in a different direction.

I left my wireless router at the Inn, but wish now I had brought it with me, as I would like to be able to stream netflix movies to my TV...guess I'll have to go and buy another one!

MTLLodge said:
Then you can provide wi-fi for your guests. You just need a router. Routers are very inexpensive and would be a great feature for you to offer. We're on sattelite and because our buildings are spread out, we have two routers to make the wi-fi accessible to all our guest rooms. Each router shoots the signal in a different direction.
Breakfast Diva said:
MTLLodge said:
It is something that we need to look into when we have the time. I have only had 1 guest ask for it so far. Getting the fireplace going is first!

MTLLodge said:
Breakfast Diva said:
MTLLodge said:
It is something that we need to look into when we have the time. I have only had 1 guest ask for it so far. Getting the fireplace going is first!
I only had a couple requests for it before we got the DSL and the WiFi. SINCE I got it have been asked many times......
Sorry to contradict, but the routers sholf be first and for 2 reasons - #1 it is not an expensive proposition since you already HAVE the high-speed and the #2 reason is it does NOT take a lot of time to do it.

Who would I cantact to put the router in?.
If it had not been for Verizon having so many firewall things or whatever (I had to get a computer guy who STILL had to call Verizon for code changes) BUT had it not been for that, my son would have had me hooked up - and he is not a techie. He got it on his MAC but we could not get it to work with my PC until the tech guy took over. I had a couple other problems also that I was able to get him to fix while he was here anyway. It really is not difficult I have heard. Part of my problem is I am working with a computer that started life in 1996 nd has had a few upgrades along the way.
I will be having the techie back around the end of November when he hooks up my new desktop. Have to wait until after the Vets thing because I will be without a computer for a couple days while they transfer all to the new one. Getting Windows 7. I have no idea what else (software) I need to get. Suggestions anyone?

Joey Bloggs said:
Just a quick question before I go...when a guest arrives at your establishment do they know anything about you, the inn, the area or what is it you do there? I mean, after all they are in YOUR home, they are sleeping in YOUR beds, drinking YOUR coffee...should we give a little of ourselves, or make it a cold environment where they pay to sleep eat and go their way? Are we hotels/motels?
Some guests know a little, some know a lot, some know absolutely nothing. When they leave, they all know more than when they walked in the door. And so do I.
Our guests run the gamut from no research and barely know where they are in relation to the rest of the country (Really? I need a passport if I drive to the end of this road?) to those who could be on the Tourism Board.

Who would I cantact to put the router in?.
MTLLodge said:
Who would I cantact to put the router in?
I would start with asking your internet provider. Do you have DSL? Cable? Sattelite?
You can also call up any computer/internet service in your local town to get the name of a tech person to help you. The router should be less than $100 and my local computer wiz charges $50 an hour. It would take less than an hour to set it up.

Back