Star Rating System

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
The UK governement (department of culture, media and sport) which also covers tourism has announced that in their next policy doument they are removing their official backing of people being rated. This is a complete change of face as before they were all about getting everyone rated. For us as I have just paid $1100 for this years is a bit of a pain. It has meant up to now to work with tourist information centres you have had to be rated but this may now change.
However my main point is the governement has officially said online reviews are what people are using now and they get people to improve a lot faster than an annual review. (not that anyone wants to run a crap places anyway duh). Finally the government grows a brain! plus they say they are going to try and remove red tape from small toursim related businesses to help us (i will believe it when I see it).
The article is in the Sunday Times 23/1/2011 online if anyone wants to read it.

A year ago at the PAII conference one of the state associations - I think it was Florida - said the same thing. They discontinued their inspection program saying that it was becoming 'self-regulating' with the use of TripAdvisor and other online rating systems. It would be interesting to hear their feedback after a year. Many state associations have dropped it due to the cost.

Interestingly, we just got another level of requirement for us to be licensed. And the cost of the license went up $100.

Joe just found the same info but in the Independant Newspaper. One of the ideas would be that trade associations would inspect for minimum requirements and that would be enough.

I spend my life telling people they would get a better deal from small places if they books direct as we would then not have to pay commisson and VAT on top! people seem really surprised like laterooms and booking.com are doing it for free! lol they are a business like everyone else.

Back