Starting the long sales cycle - not leaving *anytime* soon

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Thought I'd give everyone a heads-up before it hits the interwebs tomorrow - that we're listing our inn for sale.

It's actually been on the market since January on the QT, but we've chosen to go public, taking into account a key factor: We're not going anywhere anytime soon.

The current sales cycle for larger inns and B&Bs is now approaching 5-7 years. We really don't want to sell now, but we know if we hope to be able to retire in 2028 we actually have to start the process now. We've been upfront with our staff that the inn is going to be listed for sale, but none of them need to worry as it will likely take years before anyone contracts, much less navigates through the morass that is financing right now. Given the recent hikes in interest rates, 5-7 years may be a bit optimistic.

The bad news: All of you will have to put up with me for quite a few years to come. Sorry about that. :cool:

Guess I always wondered for those who sell/retire, what do you do next? I followed several career paths in life, running a lodging business was supposed to be a retirement venture. We need a section on the forum for keeping in touch with friends that retired or moved on to bigger and better things.

Yes, best of luck with the sale, but in the mean time glad you'll still be hanging around!

As things are going now, I'll keep doing this as long as I'm physically and mentally able. I'm 68, so that could be 20 more years, or 2 more months! We'll see!

Guess I always wondered for those who sell/retire, what do you do next? I followed several career paths in life, running a lodging business was supposed to be a retirement venture. We need a section on the forum for keeping in touch with friends that retired or moved on to bigger and better things.
My immediate plan:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
That would be fun.
Yes it would. I met several of our fellow Innspiring members a few years ago, well MANY years ago, when they spent a night in one of my 4-person apartments, and it was great fun. The Great Innspiring Road Trip.

Good education. I learned to "look up" when cleaning rooms (they left a huge pair of bloomers on one of the ceiling fan blades) and I learned that Gillum is uncannily perceptive and blessed with A+ level women's intuition! Women are superior beings. I acknowledge that. Whatever is on that second X chromosome gives them abilities I, with a lacking Y chromosome, consider magic.

Back