Startup book recommendation?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
With no previous experience other than as a customer, my family once started a restaurant. It wasn't fun learning all our lessons the hard (and expensive) way. So I've become a great believer in learning from those with experience before starting a new endeavor.
I've looked in this website's Resources section and was surprised that I didn't see any book recommendations for those aspiring to start an accommodation.
I did see the 91-page "Bootstrap B&B Startup Guide" e-book, but was wondering if anybody else has a recommendation for a good book for aspirings.
Thanks.

i haven't honestly seen a book i'd recommend. back in 2005, i purchased a couple, but the info was outdated at best ... they were actually updated versions of earlier books. i just can't recommend those to you.
for me, online forums and in-person seminars with live questions and answers were so much more valuable. a live class - given by those in the business NOW - is the way to go.
i love to read, but the printed page does not change, does not update itself ...
what i learned in 2005 at a live seminar would surely be considered outdated and woefully inadequate now. i don't know if social media marketing was even heard of ... guests finding a place by gps was in its infancy ... free wifi was cutting edge ... the list goes on.

i haven't honestly seen a book i'd recommend. back in 2005, i purchased a couple, but the info was outdated at best ... they were actually updated versions of earlier books. i just can't recommend those to you.
for me, online forums and in-person seminars with live questions and answers were so much more valuable. a live class - given by those in the business NOW - is the way to go.
i love to read, but the printed page does not change, does not update itself ...
what i learned in 2005 at a live seminar would surely be considered outdated and woefully inadequate now. i don't know if social media marketing was even heard of ... guests finding a place by gps was in its infancy ... free wifi was cutting edge ... the list goes on..
Good advice. Thanks. I do think I need to attend a live seminar. I noticed that our state B&B assn. offers that. It would be especially useful to get the info in my own state, where they know our state laws and other locally-focused info.
I'm still open to getting a book, too, if anybody else knows of a good one.

what i learned in 2005 at a live seminar would surely be considered outdated and woefully inadequate now. i don't know if social media marketing was even heard of ... guests finding a place by gps was in its infancy ... free wifi was cutting edge ... the list goes on..
Good advice. Thanks. I do think I need to attend a live seminar. I noticed that our state B&B assn. offers that. It would be especially useful to get the info in my own state, where they know our state laws and other locally-focused info.
I'm still open to getting a book, too, if anybody else knows of a good one.
I think it is called Operating a B & B For Dummies and it is pretty much the latest in books and does a good job in covering a lot of things. Asking questions here will help a lot also.
Various innkeeping seminars are good - if you are opening in Arkansas check with the State Association to see if/when because they can tell you your State rules - and i say go to several because they each will have a different focus. The ones I do focus on marketing because i think that is where most fail. Others will concentrate on business plan and financing as they cover all aspects. All have information that will be helpful. Some will be 1-day and others 2 or 3-days. We have done some in my State that were sponsored by EDAs or SBDC that had a cost to the attendee of $10 (lunch & handouts included). Costs vary depending on who is putting on the seminar.

There are "starting a B&B" and then there are "operating a B&B" books and most of them are full of it. Just saying that right off the bat, they are made to make money, most are not that realistic. The true grit is found in this forum - like no other. Don't forget you can get your hands in it if you want to try a Vocation Vacation.
The book I found most helpful was:
http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Operating-Breakfast-Century-Step/dp/1419660578
Mary White from BnBfinder.com wrote this book: http://www.amazon.com/Running-Breakfast-Dummies-Mary-White/dp/0470426829/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Libraries have old editions and speak of guide books and such, but might have some useful tidbits. An Innkeeping seminar would be most valuable.
All the best!

There are "starting a B&B" and then there are "operating a B&B" books and most of them are full of it. Just saying that right off the bat, they are made to make money, most are not that realistic. The true grit is found in this forum - like no other. Don't forget you can get your hands in it if you want to try a Vocation Vacation.
Mary White from BnBfinder.com wrote this book: http://www.amazon.com/Running-Breakfast-Dummies-Mary-White/dp/0470426829/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Libraries have old editions and speak of guide books and such, but might have some useful tidbits. An Innkeeping seminar would be most valuable.
All the best!.
Mary White's book is what I was referencing - I just could not remember the real title. She had several PAII innkeepers read and edit it.

I have a few I would recomend will send you an email. Some are a really good read to.

All the best!.
OK, I've ordered these two books and look forward to their arrival.
One of the best things I've done lately was to bite the bullet and pay Amazon approx. $80 to get a one-year "Prime" membership. It means I get free 2nd day shipping on almost everything I order from them. I finally realized that I buy so much from Amazon, over a year, that the shipping savings more than cover the membership.
I've also found what sounds like a great 3-day Arkansas-based seminar for aspiring B&B owners, including info on our state hospitality laws. It's about $850 but that includes 2 nights in their B&B, 2 breakfasts,2 lunches, and 2 dinners.

All the best!.
OK, I've ordered these two books and look forward to their arrival.
One of the best things I've done lately was to bite the bullet and pay Amazon approx. $80 to get a one-year "Prime" membership. It means I get free 2nd day shipping on almost everything I order from them. I finally realized that I buy so much from Amazon, over a year, that the shipping savings more than cover the membership.
I've also found what sounds like a great 3-day Arkansas-based seminar for aspiring B&B owners, including info on our state hospitality laws. It's about $850 but that includes 2 nights in their B&B, 2 breakfasts,2 lunches, and 2 dinners.
Arkansawyer said:
Here I am waiting for my delivery of two books I ordered for father's day and thought I might get a sneak read of before giving away. LOL Sneaky never works for me.

I got more info by attending my state association's "Aspiring Innkeepers" conferences and talking on the forums. Like Seashanty says, the books are outdated - but I did read them and gleaned some info.
Since you will be running the inn with employees, it's important for you to get some hands on experience so you'll understand what they will be dealing with. There are some inns, mostly larger ones, like the one you sound like planning, where you can book a stay that has them training you to run the inn. You could probably find some by googling and /or asking PAII
RIki

Back