Statistics - please share

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to go to their BandB.com listing and click on YOUR STATISTICS and tell me some of what you find there? I will give you mine if you give me yours.
Yes this has to do with renewing or cancelling my listing with them.
Ignore BRIEF listing - that is equal to nothing imo.
Show DETAILED listing impressions: Month to date = 81, year-to-date = 1013, last year = 1559
CLICK THRU to MEMBER'S HOME PAGE: Month to date = 32, Year-to-date = 413, Last Year = 538

Show DETAILED listing impressions: Month to date = 122, year-to-date = 1209, last year = 2162
CLICK THRU to MEMBER'S HOME PAGE: Month to date = 79, Year-to-date = 715, Last Year = 1088

This is a membership I let lapse, so I'm afraid I can't help The weird thing is that I have had 2 sets of guests leave reviews with them after our membership expired and while we have no listing on their website, I can do a google / yahoo search and come up with a direct URL to the reviews.

This is a membership I let lapse, so I'm afraid I can't help The weird thing is that I have had 2 sets of guests leave reviews with them after our membership expired and while we have no listing on their website, I can do a google / yahoo search and come up with a direct URL to the reviews..
Why did you let the membership lapse?

This is a membership I let lapse, so I'm afraid I can't help The weird thing is that I have had 2 sets of guests leave reviews with them after our membership expired and while we have no listing on their website, I can do a google / yahoo search and come up with a direct URL to the reviews..
Why did you let the membership lapse?
Really tight budget - especially with the new business which still has a long, long, long way to go. Demand exceeds supply here in the summer but all the other months are another matter, which is why I'm looking at rejoining. Making those reviews visible is definitely a motivating factor. We'll see.

Is this what you wanted?
Impressions[/td]Today[/td]Yester[/td]MTD[/td]Last Mon[/td]YTD [/td]Last Y[/td][/tr]Brief[/td]46[/td]106[/td]2443[/td]2894[/td]19691[/td]18492[/td][/tr]Detailed[/td]3[/td]1[/td]78[/td]132[/td]1734[/td]1563[/td][/tr]Click through[/td]2[/td]0[/td]21[/td]33[/td]300[/td]381[/td][/tr][/table]

Thanks for sharing, so far.
As you can see we here in Virginnie, even with the sponsored links on google from BandB.com are going in reverse. Not forward. I might ask this again at the end of the year if you won't mind, to take in the full year.

As you can see we here in Virginnie, even with the sponsored links on google from BandB.com are going in reverse. Not forward. I might ask this again at the end of the year if you won't mind, to take in the full year..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
As you can see we here in Virginnie, even with the sponsored links on google from BandB.com are going in reverse. Not forward. I might ask this again at the end of the year if you won't mind, to take in the full year.
We are discussing this here as our local group is also falling behind on referrals thru their site to ours. Here's what I think is happening...guests are getting better at finding things online. Google local mapping shows a list of 10 (hopefully B&B's) when you do the query for 'town, state B&B'.
There's no reason to look any further when the name of the B&B, the location, the phone number, the website and a link to TA is RIGHT there. So, fewer guests are using the directories to aggregate the lodging options.
If the guest is doing a more generic search like 'state B&B' then the directories help them narrow down an area.

As you can see we here in Virginnie, even with the sponsored links on google from BandB.com are going in reverse. Not forward. I might ask this again at the end of the year if you won't mind, to take in the full year..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We are discussing this here as our local group is also falling behind on referrals thru their site to ours. Here's what I think is happening...guests are getting better at finding things online. Google local mapping shows a list of 10 (hopefully B&B's) when you do the query for 'town, state B&B'.
There's no reason to look any further when the name of the B&B, the location, the phone number, the website and a link to TA is RIGHT there. So, fewer guests are using the directories to aggregate the lodging options.
If the guest is doing a more generic search like 'state B&B' then the directories help them narrow down an area.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I agree and was basically explaining that to dh even as you were typing it.
=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Me has to disagree. My other listings are not dropping, In fact, how many, people - innkeepers I am askin' all a y'all - how many of you are having a surge in first time B&B goers? Seriousely, how many?
BandB.com is not on page 1 for most of my searches, I did that before starting this thread. Guess who is on page one for virginia bed breakfast in the 6th slot? Moi.
Anyway, the others are not falling off the planet, just that one. But I was told tough, leave if you don't like it. We never promised you a rose garden.
We have to keep an eye on them
I do not have many GC's coming in either. I won't have any, now.
cheers.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Me has to disagree. My other listings are not dropping, In fact, how many, people - innkeepers I am askin' all a y'all - how many of you are having a surge in first time B&B goers? Seriousely, how many?
BandB.com is not on page 1 for most of my searches, I did that before starting this thread. Guess who is on page one for virginia bed breakfast in the 6th slot? Moi.
Anyway, the others are not falling off the planet, just that one. But I was told tough, leave if you don't like it. We never promised you a rose garden.
We have to keep an eye on them
I do not have many GC's coming in either. I won't have any, now.
cheers.gif

Lots of first-timers this year. We should do a poll...ask them why NOW? What made them try a B&B this year?

I just went "live" yesterday & a few of you were looking but here it is:
Detailed MTD= 18
Click thrus to homepage MTD= 3 (one is me checking it)
I probably slept thru this earlier discussion but does this reflect unique visitors?? I hope so!!

Detailed MTD= 18
I probably slept thru this earlier discussion but does this reflect unique visitors?? I hope so!!.
Oh yeah, we all went & checked!

Detailed MTD= 18
I probably slept thru this earlier discussion but does this reflect unique visitors?? I hope so!!.
Oh yeah, we all went & checked!
Well, the walk-up yesterday said they saw us on the directory, perhaps they did not click through. haha!

Detailed MTD= 18
Samster said:
Detailed MTD= 18
I probably slept thru this earlier discussion but does this reflect unique visitors?? I hope so!!
Yeah so a large precent of mine was ME! same thing. Chop the #'s down even more.

I have not been a member since 2002 or 03 due to poor performance and then joined bbonline which was doing a better job for us (reservations) until lately. The new owners do not seem to be marketing the site as well as the POs.
I do agree with Bree, though that people have become more educated in how to search so are finding our individual sites more and more frequently. Where the directories come in handy the most is when someone is looking around but does not have a specific town set for their destination. They also are used by those that have fallen into the routine of their use.
I have been toying with the idea of rejoining B&B for a year to check the stats but the cost for a link listing is so steep. Marketing 101 - a successful marketing campaign is one that returns 10 to 1. If we all used this measurement as a sign of success, I wounder how many keep renewing?

I have not been a member since 2002 or 03 due to poor performance and then joined bbonline which was doing a better job for us (reservations) until lately. The new owners do not seem to be marketing the site as well as the POs.
I do agree with Bree, though that people have become more educated in how to search so are finding our individual sites more and more frequently. Where the directories come in handy the most is when someone is looking around but does not have a specific town set for their destination. They also are used by those that have fallen into the routine of their use.
I have been toying with the idea of rejoining B&B for a year to check the stats but the cost for a link listing is so steep. Marketing 101 - a successful marketing campaign is one that returns 10 to 1. If we all used this measurement as a sign of success, I wounder how many keep renewing?.
So what's that? $2500+ This is why we'll probably drop the local one. THAT one is $1300 this year. Do I get $13,000 in revenue from them? Not that anyone has mentioned. OK, I just cheked...6.5% of my booking s are from the local source. And that is not $13,000 worth. B&B is 3%, so yes, I do get a return on that one.

[tr]Impressions

[/td] Today
[/td] Yesterday
[/td] Month
to date
[/td] Last month
[/td] Year
to date
[/td] Last
year

[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Brief Listing
[/td][td]44
[/td][td]59
[/td][td]1583
[/td][td]1727
[/td][td]16006
[/td][td]21829
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Detailed Listing
[/td][td]4
[/td][td]3
[/td][td]124
[/td][td]168
[/td][td]1605
[/td][td]2351
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td] [/td] [/td] [/td] [/td] [/td] [/td][/tr] [/table] [tr] Click-throughs to
Inn's home page from:

[/td] Today
[/td] Yesterday
[/td] Month
to date
[/td] Last
month
[/td] Year
to date
[/td] Last
year

[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Member Listing
[/td][td]1
[/td][td]5
[/td][td]84
[/td][td]118
[/td][td]805
[/td][td]1132
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Availability
[/td][td]0
[/td][td]0
[/td][td]0
[/td][td]0
[/td][td]0
[/td][td]0
[/td][/tr][tr]Total[/td]1
[/td]5
[/td]84
[/td]118
[/td]805
[/td]1132
[/td][/tr][/table] I don't do the featured property nor do I have availability on there so those rows are taken out when I could.

When I look at your numbers, i don't see a clear decline. One set of metrics shows a decline, the otherr shows an increase. With Oct Nov and Dec remaining we are 75% through the year.
So for adjusting last year by 75% would suggest you should have 1559 x 75% = 1169 by now which at 1013 you are coming up short.
However on click throughs (the thing that comes close to actually matter) Based on last year you should have 538 x 75% or 404 click throughs so at 413 you are up a wee bit.
Of course the assumption that is made in these calculations is that Oct, Nov and Dec are equally as powerful months as the others in the year. That assumption may or may not be correct based on location and clientelle. For my location, that would seem like a bad assumption. Nov and Dec are slow months here. However, they are not as slow as Jan Feb and March. So simple math starts getting a little fuzzy on the meaning. I think it all comes down to does the money you spend on the listing bring you enough actual guests (not just traffic) and the benefits of the link in terms of SEM and the benefits of the reviews in terms of SEM and conversion.

Back