Stats....Why does ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why does Bed and Breakfast .com say I always have more hits than Google says they give me.I have Google stats..My top ten are #1. bbonline #2.Harrisonburg Tourism.com #3. Google #4. bedandbreakfast.com #7.Lanier#8.TravelAssist #10.GreenHotels......etc..Mary in Bridgewater,Va.

I don't know Mary, but if I am getting all the hits they claim I am I sure am not getting any bookings from them like I do from BBonine.
RIki

I think we have to be careful of the terms used. Google doesn't report "hits". It reports visits, visitors and pageviews. In order to compare any of them to what bedandbreakfast.com is reporting you have to understand what is being tracked on both sides (bedandbreakfast.com and yours)
If someone is on bb.com and clicking back and forth between their options (as I end up doing when researching a place to stay..then showing DW after narrowing it down) I might end up clicking on their link to your site 3 times in the same internet session (20-30 minute span of time)
With that happening, bb.com is going to report 3 click-throughs because they track every single time the button gets clicked. Analytics is most likely going to report that as 3 pageviews, 1 unique pageview, 1 visit and 1 visitor.
Here is the technical explanation of each of the terms from Google.
So in general if you compare bb.com clickthroughs to Analytic visits, the numbers are going to be quite different. If you compare bb.com clickthroughs to Analytic Pageviews the numbers should be pretty close. There will still be some error because:
  1. some people habitually double-click a link instead of single clicking it, so their counter may record two clicks when your site would only register one pageview
  2. some may stop the loading of your page (for whatever reason) before the analytics script loads and runs. in most cases if you follow google's setup suggestions, the analytics code is the last part of a page to load... so if someone stops the loading of your home page before it is complete, then clicks on one of your links to see another one of your pages, that referal would not get recorded by analytics.

I think we have to be careful of the terms used. Google doesn't report "hits". It reports visits, visitors and pageviews. In order to compare any of them to what bedandbreakfast.com is reporting you have to understand what is being tracked on both sides (bedandbreakfast.com and yours)
If someone is on bb.com and clicking back and forth between their options (as I end up doing when researching a place to stay..then showing DW after narrowing it down) I might end up clicking on their link to your site 3 times in the same internet session (20-30 minute span of time)
With that happening, bb.com is going to report 3 click-throughs because they track every single time the button gets clicked. Analytics is most likely going to report that as 3 pageviews, 1 unique pageview, 1 visit and 1 visitor.
Here is the technical explanation of each of the terms from Google.
So in general if you compare bb.com clickthroughs to Analytic visits, the numbers are going to be quite different. If you compare bb.com clickthroughs to Analytic Pageviews the numbers should be pretty close. There will still be some error because:
  1. some people habitually double-click a link instead of single clicking it, so their counter may record two clicks when your site would only register one pageview
  2. some may stop the loading of your page (for whatever reason) before the analytics script loads and runs. in most cases if you follow google's setup suggestions, the analytics code is the last part of a page to load... so if someone stops the loading of your home page before it is complete, then clicks on one of your links to see another one of your pages, that referal would not get recorded by analytics.
Thank You....I understand the problem now and this is from someone who can not even cut & paste, like eveyone else does. I'll take a computor class when I retire from my 8 to 4 College job and just do the B&B. Thanks...Mary in Bridgewater ,Va.

Back