Staying at a hotel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Well, after all that hoohah on the Fodors forum I'm off to stay at a hotel! We have no guests the next couple of nights so I'm off to see the 'rents. I called to secure my usual couch at my brother's house but his MIL and SIL and nieces will be in residence and the nieces are little and up at 5 AM everyday. No thanks.
There are no B&B's where I'm going and the one that is sorta near is the one that is $200+/night (remember she was just starting out as an innkeeper, the inn was owned by someone else?) I may try to find the place and see what it's like but I have to remember the name.
Anyhoo, I looked online and found a place (there are a ton of hotels there) and got a 'professional' discount at a hotel in the area. The reviews are awful, but the price is right. At half the price of the other places, there's probably a reason. Maybe I'll bring my own blanket. We'll see what happens...

Can I ask how you approached them for the professional discount? Have you done this elsewhere? Is it only for one night away sorta thing to ask for it?

Can I ask how you approached them for the professional discount? Have you done this elsewhere? Is it only for one night away sorta thing to ask for it?.
I just ask, and generally receive, an industry rate. Usually have to provide a brochure or business card on check-in.

Can I ask how you approached them for the professional discount? Have you done this elsewhere? Is it only for one night away sorta thing to ask for it?.
I borrowed this from Ginocat, she mentioned it once before. I just asked if they had a 'professional' discount and she asked what company? I told her I had a 'small hotel' and she said fine.
I have done this at B&B's but never asked at a hotel before. Usually I'm only there 1-2 nights. A few B&B's have gracefully declined to discount.

I borrowed this from Ginocat, she mentioned it once before. I just asked if they had a 'professional' discount and she asked what company? I told her I had a 'small hotel' and she said fine.
I have done this at B&B's but never asked at a hotel before. Usually I'm only there 1-2 nights. A few B&B's have gracefully declined to discount.
I just had a B&B email me - an employee, not the innkeepers - asking me for a free night (Saturday on a busy weekend, so less, in our best room). They would offer me an exchange and a listing on their wedding chapel business site (which was crappy). Their B&B was in Milwaukee. I said no - I would be happy to give them 50% off (that's what we do for other SR innkeepers, although they usually don't book in primetime), but not a freebie, since we don't do weddings here and have no reason to go to Milwaukee. Been there once, not that interested in going back. Never heard anything more from them.
Now I am happy to do exchanges and have done several with innkeepers I know already or who are willing to come in the slow time. But I thought that was a little cheeky...
Jeanne

I just had a B&B email me - an employee, not the innkeepers - asking me for a free night (Saturday on a busy weekend, so less, in our best room). They would offer me an exchange and a listing on their wedding chapel business site (which was crappy). Their B&B was in Milwaukee. I said no - I would be happy to give them 50% off (that's what we do for other SR innkeepers, although they usually don't book in primetime), but not a freebie, since we don't do weddings here and have no reason to go to Milwaukee. Been there once, not that interested in going back. Never heard anything more from them.
Now I am happy to do exchanges and have done several with innkeepers I know already or who are willing to come in the slow time. But I thought that was a little cheeky...
Jeanne
Cheeky definitely. I have had owners (maybe not, come to think of it) write and want to do an exchange of rooms, saying they want to reward their staff with vacations. Well, there is no way I can offer rooms to a place that has 'staff' in exchange for 1-2 nights I might stay there.

About 3 years ago I contacted a few B&B's in our state to introduce myself. I would then mention after a few emails if they ever needed a break not too far from home I would be happy to recipricate lodging for a night or two. You would have thought I was asking for a million dollars! It is a GIVE and TAKE. It would not be free on my part either.
That was when I was looking into the night for night thing. I thought why not contact them and we can do a swap.
I found that there are some really arrogant innkeepers out there. I happen to think our place is nice enough to swap with someone in a city location. So now it is just innkeepers on this forum who I know and actually CARE to visit.
I am waiting for a couple of those innkeepers to stay with us now. Whenever they can break away...
teeth_smile.gif

Jeanne
I can't believe someone is so "cheeky" as to ask you... at total stranger for a free night. How gullible do people think we are??? I don't mind giving freebie to innkeepers I know and like but that is as far as I would go. Now if someone would call to reserve and maybe ask for a professional discount, I might consider it..but out and out free...NO WAY!

About 3 years ago I contacted a few B&B's in our state to introduce myself. I would then mention after a few emails if they ever needed a break not too far from home I would be happy to recipricate lodging for a night or two. You would have thought I was asking for a million dollars! It is a GIVE and TAKE. It would not be free on my part either.
That was when I was looking into the night for night thing. I thought why not contact them and we can do a swap.
I found that there are some really arrogant innkeepers out there. I happen to think our place is nice enough to swap with someone in a city location. So now it is just innkeepers on this forum who I know and actually CARE to visit.
I am waiting for a couple of those innkeepers to stay with us now. Whenever they can break away...
teeth_smile.gif
I am needing to break away....but alas, I need $$$ more now than a break
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Mostly I need a break from my dh
devil_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif

Well, see the other thread about discounting rooms for innkeepers...you're one of the ones on my IOU list!

teeth_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif

Well, see the other thread about discounting rooms for innkeepers...you're one of the ones on my IOU list!
Thanks! Yes, I was just talking to my dh actually about going someplace North when it is hideously hot here :) You might end up with both of us ;-)

teeth_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif

Thanks! Yes, I was just talking to my dh actually about going someplace North when it is hideously hot here :) You might end up with both of us ;-)
We'll be here!

teeth_smile.gif
If you're ever in my neighborhood here in Alaska, please come see me......
We would love to have you.

Back