Staying like a Mother-In-Law

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
We had a one night stay yesterday. At check out time they were still in their room. At midday they asked if we had a room for a couple more nights (we did not) and we offered a place in the common room to hang out while they looked for other accomdations. When it was time for Hors d'Ouevres at 6 pm. they were still sprawled across the couches, consuming the free stuff going to the inn guests. We had made several obvious comments to them about the fact that we needed them to vacate parking etc since the inn was full and finally I had to search the web to find them a place to go for the night. I shoved the details at them and urged them to go as quickly as possible so that they should get the room I had found. We were left wondering at the way we had handled them. They left a pigsty in their room with broken glass and wine stains in the bathroom grout. Not a good experience - would like some feed back from inn-spiring....

Wow. Talk about overstaying your welcome.
I don't think I would have allowed them to stay after noon (my check-out i is 11). We recently did have that happen, guest did not vacate the ROOM until 1 PM and that won't be occurring again.
They are on private property so you're certainly within your rights to request (nicely) that they vacate within x minutes. And if they're still there, take their bags to the car for them and let them know 'time's up'.
I had some advice about early arrivers that included allowing them to hang out in the common area or setting them up with info on where they could hang out in town, but this is why that never makes sense to me...they arrive way too early in your home, or stay way too long, assuming you won't have the nerve to tell them to buzz off.
It's nice that you found them a place, but they're grown-ups for goodness sake.

I would have done what Alibi said. If they need someplace else give them some advise as to were to go but they have to vacate the room ASAP because you have other guests coming and under no circumstances would I have allowed them to stay until 6PM-that is a no brainer-no reservation you dont stay lounging on my couches and eating other guests treats-NO. You are within your rights to ask them to leave nicely or not so nicely if it comes to that.
Do you have all the policies stated in their room? We have them on the back of the door, or in a prominent place on the wall, in the WV B & B we had them by the mirror in the bathroom, that way they cannot miss but read it. There it stated that check out is 11AM unless they made the innkeepers know that they would be staying a extra day or with prior knowledge by the Innkeeper. Of course we would be nice to give them a half hour and sometimes a little longer if needed. But if we had that room reserved it would not go past an hour. Stick to your policies because people like them: are advantage-takers and you can tell once you've been an innkeeper for a little while, and sometimes they surprise you nontheless.

Wow. Talk about overstaying your welcome.
I don't think I would have allowed them to stay after noon (my check-out i is 11). We recently did have that happen, guest did not vacate the ROOM until 1 PM and that won't be occurring again.
They are on private property so you're certainly within your rights to request (nicely) that they vacate within x minutes. And if they're still there, take their bags to the car for them and let them know 'time's up'.
I had some advice about early arrivers that included allowing them to hang out in the common area or setting them up with info on where they could hang out in town, but this is why that never makes sense to me...they arrive way too early in your home, or stay way too long, assuming you won't have the nerve to tell them to buzz off.
It's nice that you found them a place, but they're grown-ups for goodness sake..
Well, they had to be in their thirties but behaved as though they were oblivious teenagers. Spoiled rotten and useless in a fix. Thanks Ike!

I would have told them that we had an appointment in town and needed to leave at noon. Give them suggestions on where to go, then at noon, lock it up & watch them drive away.

I would have told them that we had an appointment in town and needed to leave at noon. Give them suggestions on where to go, then at noon, lock it up & watch them drive away..
Great trick Diva, I'll remember that one. Thanks

I would have told them that we had an appointment in town and needed to leave at noon. Give them suggestions on where to go, then at noon, lock it up & watch them drive away..
virginia said:
I can't tell you how often I've used that one! It's my standard reply when someone asks for a late check-out
wink_smile.gif

virginia said:
I can't tell you how often I've used that one! It's my standard reply when someone asks for a late check-out
wink_smile.gif

Us too! Isn't it funny how you just have to have your "pat" answer in place. Shame you can't just tell them the truth, 'cause they'll just look at you confused, we won't be in the way, etc.
As the saying goes "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"

My husband's favorite line is "Come again when you can't stay as long"

Today we had two seatings, sign up for your preferred time.
No doubt one room did not sign up and would show. And of course, they did. I was going to make extra, but the thought of us eating the full breakfast was a not good, so I didn't. They showed. We made them a beautiful meal they ate in the parlor, since the table was full. You have never seen anyone whip up a new breakfast in less time than me today! It was not the same as the other guests, as that would take prep time. I had to laugh and think "I must have secretly been prepared in the back of my mind to whip up these two meals" and they were good too!
Why oh why do people do this! Sign up and then you have a slot. oh well...as Dh says "it is not worth it, we'll just make them breakfast!" So they are happy, and loved eating in the parlor.

Back