Stealing or guests to take?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
My xxxxxxxxx just went off on a weekend getaway. In their personal bathroom were shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion and body wash. During their weekend they used most of the contents of three of the items and packed up the little plastic bottles and brought them home. She was stunned to receive a 'scolding' email that the innkeeper refills the tiny plastic bottles and she shouldn't have taken them. We're talking the very small size that you buy in bulk.
I was very surprised myself. I always take home those tiny sample sizes if I like the brand.
I've not heard of this before.
I know there are large size refillables mounted on shower walls, but I've never heard of an innkeeper or hotel refilling the tiny plastic bottles. As an innkeeper, those were give-aways.
What are your thoughts?

That's just wrong and very unsanitary! Most of the time those little bottles don't have dispenser tops and you unscrew the top and fingers are touching the opening.
Very tacky that that innkeeper reuses them and even worse, that they sent that e-mail!
That's one of those b&bs that give all of us a bad name & reputation.

That is terrible! Those small bottles are meant to be taken home especially if they have the inn's logo or name on them. It it was way for guests to remember their trips. There is nothing wrong with refilling the bottles that are left behind and that is actually good for the environment but it was very tacky to send an email scolding the guest for taking them.

The innkeeper is actually 200% wrong. Wrong for refilling the bottles and wrong for thinking it was appropriate to scold the guest.
If you are going to refill, then use a central distributor (like I do)
If you are going to put out little bottles, the guest is free to take them. They aren't part of the furniture of the room.
What's next, plastic lamination on the sheets and towels to prevent them from having to be laundered?

That is terrible! Those small bottles are meant to be taken home especially if they have the inn's logo or name on them. It it was way for guests to remember their trips. There is nothing wrong with refilling the bottles that are left behind and that is actually good for the environment but it was very tacky to send an email scolding the guest for taking them..
Sorry Scrambled, I have to disagree with refilling them. The guests' assumption is that they are just for them. These are not bulk dispensers. My Health Dept inspectors would never allow that to happen here. We don't use the individual containers, we provide everything in obvious bulk dispensers. It's cheaper and more environmentally sound.

PO's used to fill one from another - I personally see that as complete false economy ie paying the chamber maid to do so costs more money than buying more.
I also agree its not hygienic - we use a refill hand wash and moisturiser which are refilled from a large bottle size ie 5 litre but the little bottles of shampoo and shower gel are to go (so to speak)

Yikers - that is sooooo tacky on the part of the innkeeper. I also take the little soaps and shampoos when I stay at hotels - I keep a tin with soap in my backpack for just in case o soap is available when I am out and about and the shampoos I have in MY bathroom in case I run out of my shampoo. Talk about germy items - yuck!

Refilling aside, emailing a guest to scold them for taking the mini bottles is just plain crazy.

SS, I am curious if your xxxxx had any vibes from these innkeepers about anything else?

i would be emailing a nasty note right back to them saying how tacky this is as well as unsanitary and maybe even post a review about it on ta for sure. talk about being out of step and out of bounds.

Giveaways. No one should expect every guest to reuse those little bottles! Yikes. That's just tacky.

Another person who shouldn't be an innkeeper. EVERYONE assumes that those bottles have been put in for their visit, not used by other guests and then refilled - not very sanitary. How does that innkeeper know that the person who used the bottle didn't have a skin disease and touched the top. How does the innkeeper know that the person didn't put anything in the bottle? Then to send a nasty email to anyone who thought they had the right to take them home (which of course they did) - this innkeeper has no people or business skills. I hope they write an honest review so others know what they are getting.

Quotes Mtnkeeper: "Another person who shouldn't be an innkeeper"
Yikes, what the heck are they thinking???? (and what other shenanigans go on with that mindset?)

PO's used to fill one from another - I personally see that as complete false economy ie paying the chamber maid to do so costs more money than buying more.
I also agree its not hygienic - we use a refill hand wash and moisturiser which are refilled from a large bottle size ie 5 litre but the little bottles of shampoo and shower gel are to go (so to speak).
Joey Camb said:
I also agree its not hygienic - we use a refill hand wash and moisturiser which are refilled from a large bottle size ie 5 litre but the little bottles of shampoo and shower gel are to go (so to speak)
That was my thought as well. How much time and effort goes into refilling tiny bottles of shampoo???? My time is worth way more than that!

My first thought was what if you use one up and toss it in the trash. Are they retrieving them and refilling them?

I know of an Innkeeper who would refill tiny mouth wash bottles. She ( Innkeeper) told me so very proudly) Could not guest see they are not sealed ? Yuk and Skanky ! She is closed as a BnB but is now a vacation .
sad_smile.gif

I know of an Innkeeper who would refill tiny mouth wash bottles. She ( Innkeeper) told me so very proudly) Could not guest see they are not sealed ? Yuk and Skanky ! She is closed as a BnB but is now a vacation .
sad_smile.gif
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
sad_smile.gif
Ah, but it's 'antiseptic mouthwash' ... so it's all good. Right? urrrgh hahahaha
wink_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
I know of an Innkeeper who would refill tiny mouth wash bottles. She ( Innkeeper) told me so very proudly) Could not guest see they are not sealed ? Yuk and Skanky ! She is closed as a BnB but is now a vacation rental .
sad_smile.gif

Back