Steam Mops

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Do any of you use one of these???
https://www.tuesdaymorningoffer.com/dsp_productDetail.asp?pid=3589
They're going to be on sale at Tuesday Morning.

I have one but another brand. Really steams the dirt out and easy to clean, dries fast. Mine looks like it may be heaver as it is an upright. Mine said do not use on hardwood floors or laminate wood.

I have the Shark brand. I like it, but when the pad starts to get wet it's a little harder to push, but it cleans really well. I use it on a wood laminate floor as well as my tile floors.

Is it just your specific model or all steam cleaners that you can't use on hardwood floors? I've been considering replacing my mop and bucket for one of these steam cleaners for my hardwood and tiled floors.
I currently have one of those handheld machines that blasts steam out to clean things which I find works very well. The good thing is that unlike commercial cleaning products, steam leaves zero residues whatsoever.

We saw the Shark add on TV just last night and it claims to be ok for hard wood floors. We like the idea of no soaps or chemicals. How well do they REALLY work?

My husband has a tshirt from NW Tool that he proudly wears and irritates everyone:
"Elbow grease doesn't come in a can"
Every time I suggest something cool he says one word to me to remind me of the money I have wasted over the years on these type items "GIMIC"

We saw the Shark add on TV just last night and it claims to be ok for hard wood floors. We like the idea of no soaps or chemicals. How well do they REALLY work?.
rrh said:
We saw the Shark add on TV just last night and it claims to be ok for hard wood floors. We like the idea of no soaps or chemicals. How well do they REALLY work?
I've had my Shark since Christmas and I really like it. We have a medium color laminate flooring and I've tried different things to clean them with and some leave a dull finish but the Shark hasn't. If you were using it to clean large amounts of flooring or multiple bathrooms I think you would need to invest in more of the pads since they do get dirty quickly and I think those run around $20 for 2.

Is it just your specific model or all steam cleaners that you can't use on hardwood floors? I've been considering replacing my mop and bucket for one of these steam cleaners for my hardwood and tiled floors.
I currently have one of those handheld machines that blasts steam out to clean things which I find works very well. The good thing is that unlike commercial cleaning products, steam leaves zero residues whatsoever..
It may be brand related due to how they work...Some may shoot more steam which could get in the cracks of the floors. This IS a GUESS!!! I have had mine for several years so it could be they were siding more on being cautious than really knowing at that point. Again, just a guess.
I do think they clean well but the covers do get dirty quickly - like wiping the floor with a wet towel - you will see the dirt. Overall it is better than using something like a wet swiffer jet with cost of cleansor and pads. And it does dry faster than mop & bucket unless you go back over with dry one.

We saw the Shark add on TV just last night and it claims to be ok for hard wood floors. We like the idea of no soaps or chemicals. How well do they REALLY work?.
rrh said:
I've had my Shark since Christmas and I really like it. We have a medium color laminate flooring and I've tried different things to clean them with and some leave a dull finish but the Shark hasn't. If you were using it to clean large amounts of flooring or multiple bathrooms I think you would need to invest in more of the pads since they do get dirty quickly and I think those run around $20 for 2.
Well now I want to get to the nitty gritty of this, because we're interested in getting one.
If you have to by these pads at $10 a pop- are they reusable? How often do they have to be replaced?
I have bought my fair share of things that are supposed to save money but you have a lifetime of supplies to buy.

I'm not sure about other machines, but for the Sharks (the model I'm interested in, http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16007501), the pads are machine washable. This isn't a one-use disposable product like those Swiffer Wetjets.

I also have the Shark and I really like it but I don't use it to do a deep cleaning. I use it after I vacuum to remove dust and light dirt. The pads are washable which is really nice. I use it on hardwood floors and congoleum. The water is not sitting on the wood so there is no harm to the wood floors. My floors definitely have a nice clean feeling after I use it. It does go through quite a bit of water fairly quickly so you have to replace it often but that's not a big deal.

I've used the Shark one for the first time and I have to say, I'm not impressed. The steam generated is way too weak to effectively remove a stain. I find that I have to repeatedly scrub the same area to get a decent cleaning. Of course, doing this uses up the water in the reservoir quite quickly causing me to refill it. The small reservoir size only allows me to clean a small room at a time. The biggest problem I have with it is that it leaves a thin haze on my polished granite floors. It makes the finish look dull. I've never had this problem with a mop and bucket.
Looks like I'll be returning this to the store.

Back