Steam showers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for such excellent advice! Much to consider!
Regarding hot water supply, I must have the capacity to handle it if everybody is filling their tubs at once, while considering the possibility that there may be days at a time when not a single tub gets filled.
It seems crazy to me to have a huge tank of water kept hot 24/7 just in case anyone or everyone wants to use it.
So I'm thinking about the new on-demand hot water heaters that only make the hot water as you need it. They say they can make it as fast as it's needed and you cannot run out.
We're on city water so there should be unlimited water and plenty of pressure. If i have enough natural gas supply and enough on-demand capacity, I should be fine..
I think the on demand type is the way to go. Be as green and as energy efficient as you can. If you can get it together enough...energy tax credits for this year, then they end:-(
They sure like the on-demand water heaters on This Old House. That's all I know about them. But it sure makes sense to me.
They have been used in Europe for years. when they first came here they were a bit of trouble as nobody knew how to work on them. But since the US started getting green and the economy tanked, they are now popular and I don't think it's a problem to find a plumber who knows them now.
Riki

The showers unless you buy the Kohler or other top brand are finicky. We have them and they did not tell us that if one is on a well you have to have a water softener. They are also computerized so you need to be able to maintain them youself and that is a pain.
If you can afford the Kohler etc go for it but I hope you don't have any water shortages. I don't like them as they will stay in the shower for hours. Not very green. Plus, are you going to allow kids? I don't, and the computers in the showers are one reason why.
I love love love my whirlpool tubs. Had them for over 2 years and no problems. But DO NOT BUY JACUZZI.
Buy Bath Tec or MCI. Difference: they both have a sanitary flushing system to clean out any skin or oils or whatever inbetween guests that only use a couple of gallons of bleach water.
Jacuzzi has to be COMPLETELY FILLED with water and run to clean. And besides the waste of water, are you really sure when your staff is pushed with one night turnovers that they will do that? Jacuzzi may have changed their design but I have not heard that they have.
But I would not have a room without a whilrpool tub. The shower - I'm not that impressed with. Would rather see you put in a spot for a sauna room kit.
RIki
Both companies should give you a great quote since you'll be purchasing.
egoodell said:
Buy Bath Tec or MCI. Difference: they both have a sanitary flushing system to clean out any skin or oils or whatever inbetween guests that only use a couple of gallons of bleach water.
But I would not have a room without a whilrpool tub. The shower - I'm not that impressed with. Would rather see you put in a spot for a sauna room kit.
Ditto on the sanitary flushing system. A benefit that pays for itself over and over again. And ditto on the uselessness of those showers.
For Riki's guests, who are coming generally to go on wine tours and for a romantic weekend, whirlpool tubs are a great featured amenity. They're an expectation, in fact.
But Arkansawyer, from what you've told us about your future inn, your guests will likely be quite different from that and will have different needs. Follow your own guests' needs. Don't put in amenities for show. Focus on what your guests really want. Window dressing will only get you so far. And it won't be far enough.

We have half our showers on heat your own water and half from the tank and that works fine it makes sure we never run out of hot water.

Regarding hot water supply, I must have the capacity to handle it if everybody is filling their tubs at once, while considering the possibility that there may be days at a time when not a single tub gets filled.
It seems crazy to me to have a huge tank of water kept hot 24/7 just in case anyone or everyone wants to use it.
So I'm thinking about the new on-demand hot water heaters that only make the hot water as you need it. They say they can make it as fast as it's needed and you cannot run out.
We're on city water so there should be unlimited water and plenty of pressure. If i have enough natural gas supply and enough on-demand capacity, I should be fine..
I think the on demand type is the way to go. Be as green and as energy efficient as you can. If you can get it together enough...energy tax credits for this year, then they end:-(
They sure like the on-demand water heaters on This Old House. That's all I know about them. But it sure makes sense to me.
They have been used in Europe for years. when they first came here they were a bit of trouble as nobody knew how to work on them. But since the US started getting green and the economy tanked, they are now popular and I don't think it's a problem to find a plumber who knows them now.
Riki
egoodell said:
All true.
Some planning is required to make sure you have enough on-demand heaters and that the water is not having to go too far to reach a guest room. Also requires 1 inch copper pipes (instead of 3/4" which is more the standard) and requires a separate stainless steel exhaust.
I love on-demand heaters because I hate wasting energy.
But Arkansawyer, if you're thinking about installing them, it's something to plan on from the beginning of the project. It's much much more expensive to come back in later and add them as an afterthought.

I have almost every type of bathroom configuration here. :) What you want to offer does depend on your demographic. Here are some thoughts....
I have 2 simple, one piece steam showers and they were very popular with all guests. They also function as a regular shower. You push one button to turn on the steam generator. They have a shower seat and 2 built in soap/shampoo shelves. Single lever hardware. Glass shower doors. Get easy to clean shower glass for any shower unit you put in!! Those rooms also have a 2 person jetted tub. Men preferred the steam showers.
I have 3 large 2 person jetted tubs in our 2nd house. (Those baths also have some type of separate shower stall.) They were there when we bought the house and although they're made by MTI, I would not install them myself since they're not self-flushing. 2 of them also have a hand held shower - definitely get that hardware if you get large tubs as it will help you when you are cleaning them! They take a HUGE amount of time and water to clean properly. Romantic getaways, weddings, anniversaries, and even many tired biz travelers and sports enthusiasts LOVED the 2 person tubs. If you have the 2 person tubs, I think you need to have a separate shower option as well.
We also have a couple of air tubs which I personally love. It's more of a bubble experience versus getting beaten up with a water jet. :) And, they do not hold water in the lines since it's an air system. I have one single person jetted tub/shower combination (space constraints in that bathroom) and it was pretty popular. That was actually my most booked room but it also had the only KIng size bed and people liked the decor a lot.
Our least booked room was the one with the original clawfoot tub & shower surround. Probably because of all the other options available. Lots of older folks can't step up into the clawfoot tub. I will say that the old fashioned type porcelain shower head is amazing! One guest said it was the best shower she ever had. If you have a clawfoot tub, you need the overhead shower or a separate shower stall, with a separate shower preferable. There are plenty of folks that like the old-fashioned clawfoot tubs if it's not narrow or short.
Water supply....We have a separate hot water heater for each room with the 2 person tubs but if we were doing it, we would have gone tankless. So our 2nd house actually has 4 hot water heaters (the 4th is for the kitchen and laundry). We're getting ready to convert our personal home from 2 large hot water heaters to a tankless system sometime this year because of the energy savings and rebate. We have 4 1/2 baths. If you go this route, be sure that you have an experienced plumber who installs the appropriate pipe in order to have enough flow rate. When we renovated our upstairs and put in 3 bathrooms, we had him put the pipe in place to install a whole house tankless system down the road. No one here was familiar with the tankless systems 6 years ago. (We live in a time warp! haha!)
Good luck!!

We use on demand ones in Brazil, and they work great. My personal residence has a jacuzzi which is great with the on demand as we could get a larger one then you would want in the US qithout upgrading the hot water system. You never run out of hot water so you can fill one of any size.

I have almost every type of bathroom configuration here. :) What you want to offer does depend on your demographic. Here are some thoughts....
I have 2 simple, one piece steam showers and they were very popular with all guests. They also function as a regular shower. You push one button to turn on the steam generator. They have a shower seat and 2 built in soap/shampoo shelves. Single lever hardware. Glass shower doors. Get easy to clean shower glass for any shower unit you put in!! Those rooms also have a 2 person jetted tub. Men preferred the steam showers.
I have 3 large 2 person jetted tubs in our 2nd house. (Those baths also have some type of separate shower stall.) They were there when we bought the house and although they're made by MTI, I would not install them myself since they're not self-flushing. 2 of them also have a hand held shower - definitely get that hardware if you get large tubs as it will help you when you are cleaning them! They take a HUGE amount of time and water to clean properly. Romantic getaways, weddings, anniversaries, and even many tired biz travelers and sports enthusiasts LOVED the 2 person tubs. If you have the 2 person tubs, I think you need to have a separate shower option as well.
We also have a couple of air tubs which I personally love. It's more of a bubble experience versus getting beaten up with a water jet. :) And, they do not hold water in the lines since it's an air system. I have one single person jetted tub/shower combination (space constraints in that bathroom) and it was pretty popular. That was actually my most booked room but it also had the only KIng size bed and people liked the decor a lot.
Our least booked room was the one with the original clawfoot tub & shower surround. Probably because of all the other options available. Lots of older folks can't step up into the clawfoot tub. I will say that the old fashioned type porcelain shower head is amazing! One guest said it was the best shower she ever had. If you have a clawfoot tub, you need the overhead shower or a separate shower stall, with a separate shower preferable. There are plenty of folks that like the old-fashioned clawfoot tubs if it's not narrow or short.
Water supply....We have a separate hot water heater for each room with the 2 person tubs but if we were doing it, we would have gone tankless. So our 2nd house actually has 4 hot water heaters (the 4th is for the kitchen and laundry). We're getting ready to convert our personal home from 2 large hot water heaters to a tankless system sometime this year because of the energy savings and rebate. We have 4 1/2 baths. If you go this route, be sure that you have an experienced plumber who installs the appropriate pipe in order to have enough flow rate. When we renovated our upstairs and put in 3 bathrooms, we had him put the pipe in place to install a whole house tankless system down the road. No one here was familiar with the tankless systems 6 years ago. (We live in a time warp! haha!)
Good luck!!.
Samster said:
Samster, can you tell me what brand and model of steam shower you're talking about? There are so many on the market it's hard to pick one!

Good luck!!.
Samster said:
Samster, can you tell me what brand and model of steam shower you're talking about? There are so many on the market it's hard to pick one!
Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
We have those inserts and I have to warn you that if you are on a well the steam function might gum up and not work after a short period of time like ours have. THe regular shower and jets still work fine. We have also had to enlarge the drains as they were too small to drain properly.
Plus they do need constant upkeep - we have to constantly recaulk as cleaning them breaks the caulk down and it also turns black. The computer that runs the showers often gets loose and you have to pull them out to adjust the radio. And guests for some reason every do often don't close the doors properly and get water all over the floor. But on the pro side they have been working for three years so far.
RIki

I beg you to correct the title of this thread to read STEAM.
wink_smile.gif

I bought a HUGE jacuzzi with radio, lights etc etc
If I had the $$ I would pull it out - and the only way it will go out is in pieces thru the window
Jacuzzis are NOT what they used to be - so many people have them or whirlpool tubs that they are NOT a novelty - they cause more maintenance issues than they are worth (I had a flood thru the ceiling more than once, I had a guest get stuck on the suction of the previous one (hence the new one). New one has a hand held shower but not one people can stand under so I have a real issue if its my last room and a businessman needs a room since most want a "stand under" shower. Yes it's "fun" for a few but not worth the hassle in my opinion.
I looked at fancy showers with CD's and steam and everything but the dancing girl. Skip it. Do a reasonable (not huge) size tub with integrated or separate shower.

If I had the $$ I would pull it out - and the only way it will go out is in pieces thru the window
Jacuzzis are NOT what they used to be - so many people have them or whirlpool tubs that they are NOT a novelty - they cause more maintenance issues than they are worth (I had a flood thru the ceiling more than once, I had a guest get stuck on the suction of the previous one (hence the new one). New one has a hand held shower but not one people can stand under so I have a real issue if its my last room and a businessman needs a room since most want a "stand under" shower. Yes it's "fun" for a few but not worth the hassle in my opinion.
I looked at fancy showers with CD's and steam and everything but the dancing girl. Skip it. Do a reasonable (not huge) size tub with integrated or separate shower..
agoodman said:
I looked at fancy showers with CD's and steam and everything but the dancing girl. Skip it. Do a reasonable (not huge) size tub with integrated or separate shower.
We have the Bathtec whirlpool with the self cleaning system. This is great as you have a system using only a couple of gallons of water to flush the bleach water through the tubing/pipes.
The problem I see with Jacuzzi (unless they have changed recently) is that you have to fill the whole tub with water to clean. Too much water waste.
Our bathtec is just a basic whirlpool tub and has been working fine for three years. Just stay away from anything requiring a computer - those bells and whistles are something you'll have to maintain. I have also heard great things about the MTI tubs but they are more expensive.
And here in Charlottesville they ARE a novelty as we get many guests from DC who live in tiny apartments and do NOT have them at home. I guess it depends on your clientele. All rooms in this town with a whirlpool book first and I have lost many bookings when my room with the tub was not available.
RIki
RIki

I looked at fancy showers with CD's and steam and everything but the dancing girl. Skip it. Do a reasonable (not huge) size tub with integrated or separate shower..
You don't need all those bells and whistles, but you do need them. Sorry, they have not gone out of style here either. The first thing they ask for is a whirlpool tub. I personally wouldn't use one as I the cleaning issue still bothers me and I would not waste my own water. I have my own personal hot tub on the sun porch for me alone...hubby is allowed :) but he doesn't like sitting in the hot water.

You don't need all those bells and whistles, but you do need them. Sorry, they have not gone out of style here either. The first thing they ask for is a whirlpool tub. I personally wouldn't use one as I the cleaning issue still bothers me and I would not waste my own water. I have my own personal hot tub on the sun porch for me alone...hubby is allowed :) but he doesn't like sitting in the hot water.
catlady said:
That's why I love the Bath-Tec. They show the water that each holds so I can order the ones that use the least and the cleaning system runs the bleach water through all the pipes to sanitize. I dont' have time to full those jacuzzis and don't want the water waste. And it's fun to sit in it with your glass of sparkline wine watching a movie on the tv/dvd, or the fireplace. That's why I put them in a nook inbetween the bedroom and the bathroom. There is nothing enjoyable to me to be in a whirlpool looking at the toilet.
Riki

catlady said:
That's why I love the Bath-Tec. They show the water that each holds so I can order the ones that use the least and the cleaning system runs the bleach water through all the pipes to sanitize. I dont' have time to full those jacuzzis and don't want the water waste. And it's fun to sit in it with your glass of sparkline wine watching a movie on the tv/dvd, or the fireplace. That's why I put them in a nook inbetween the bedroom and the bathroom. There is nothing enjoyable to me to be in a whirlpool looking at the toilet.
Riki
There is nothing enjoyable to me to be in a whirlpool looking at the toilet.
HA HA I hadn't really thought about it that way before...but you are right!
lightbulb.gif

Good luck!!.
Samster said:
We've been out of town at a wedding. I'll check them out and let you know. They aren't inserts but an entire steam shower system with a steam generator on the top of the unit. Same plumbing as a regular shower stall. We never had a problem in 2 years.

Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
I'll check them out and let you know.
The one you had sounds like just what I need. Looking forward to hearing back on this. MANY THANKS!
Just go to the bath store and you can see the ones that are built into the wall and have the steam portion under the sink or other places. Kohler does a good one too. But they are ultra expensive.
And check into your water costs where you are. I'm on a well and am certified "green" by my state, so am not going to put in something that promoters say "you MUST have! I was at an inn and they were in the shower for four hours it was so popular"
FOUR HOURS of water getting wasted in a shower? And people are saying filling a whirlpool tub is wasting water???
RIki

Good luck!!.
Samster said:
We've been out of town at a wedding. I'll check them out and let you know. They aren't inserts but an entire steam shower system with a steam generator on the top of the unit. Same plumbing as a regular shower stall. We never had a problem in 2 years.
Samster said:
I'll check them out and let you know.
The one you had sounds like just what I need. Looking forward to hearing back on this. MANY THANKS!!

Back