Still in the planning stages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also if you were to buy the other building for parking would you need all the space for parking? a neighbour of ours here built a row of 4 mini cottages alongside their car park which they let as well. would this be a potention place for expansion?

Also if you were to buy the other building for parking would you need all the space for parking? a neighbour of ours here built a row of 4 mini cottages alongside their car park which they let as well. would this be a potention place for expansion?.
It's certainly good to have future expansion options. No, I don't think the property behind my building is large enough for both parking more cottages.
But there are old brick buildings up against mine on each side, so if I needed to (and WANTED to work harder) I could buy one of those later. I've been in lots of European hotels where the hall changes level as you move from the original building into the neighboring building that might not share the exact same floor levels.
As one who grew up staying in Holiday Inns where all 150 rooms are exactly alike, I LOVE going to Europe and staying in 400 year old buildings with odd-shaped and odd-sized rooms spread over several buildings. I'd like to recreate some of that feel
No, I'm not travel writer Rick Steves, but I sure love his philosophy!
thumbs_up.gif

Also if you were to buy the other building for parking would you need all the space for parking? a neighbour of ours here built a row of 4 mini cottages alongside their car park which they let as well. would this be a potention place for expansion?.
It's certainly good to have future expansion options. No, I don't think the property behind my building is large enough for both parking more cottages.
But there are old brick buildings up against mine on each side, so if I needed to (and WANTED to work harder) I could buy one of those later. I've been in lots of European hotels where the hall changes level as you move from the original building into the neighboring building that might not share the exact same floor levels.
As one who grew up staying in Holiday Inns where all 150 rooms are exactly alike, I LOVE going to Europe and staying in 400 year old buildings with odd-shaped and odd-sized rooms spread over several buildings. I'd like to recreate some of that feel
No, I'm not travel writer Rick Steves, but I sure love his philosophy!
thumbs_up.gif

You'd like my place then no two rooms are alike! and the joy of a 150 year old building! I am dealing with a recuring leak and having the plumber out tomorro for the 4th time! every time he swears it is fixed but I am going to loose my marbles if it carries on lol

Also have you thought about what you are going to do about laundry? Ie do your own, have a service, have own sheets but take to laundret? prices? storage? how many changes for each room? I would recomend all white it always looks clean and you can mix and match. If you do too many different ones it leads to chaos and if one part wears out quicker than others you can't get replacements. I would recomend at least 4 changes for each room. Also get the biggest washers and dryers you can if you are washing yourself you can get industrial ones especially second hand for a bargain and believe me you will need something that can take the hammer. Also start collecting the names and number of good relaiable workmen ie plumbers, washing maching repair men/women etc as you need someone who will come out straight away when you have sewage pouring out of a wall (you laugh but this happend to me in Jan)

Also have you thought about what you are going to do about laundry? Ie do your own, have a service, have own sheets but take to laundret? prices? storage? how many changes for each room? I would recomend all white it always looks clean and you can mix and match. If you do too many different ones it leads to chaos and if one part wears out quicker than others you can't get replacements. I would recomend at least 4 changes for each room. Also get the biggest washers and dryers you can if you are washing yourself you can get industrial ones especially second hand for a bargain and believe me you will need something that can take the hammer. Also start collecting the names and number of good relaiable workmen ie plumbers, washing maching repair men/women etc as you need someone who will come out straight away when you have sewage pouring out of a wall (you laugh but this happend to me in Jan).
Excellent points!

Also have you thought about what you are going to do about laundry? Ie do your own, have a service, have own sheets but take to laundret? prices? storage? how many changes for each room? I would recomend all white it always looks clean and you can mix and match. If you do too many different ones it leads to chaos and if one part wears out quicker than others you can't get replacements. I would recomend at least 4 changes for each room. Also get the biggest washers and dryers you can if you are washing yourself you can get industrial ones especially second hand for a bargain and believe me you will need something that can take the hammer. Also start collecting the names and number of good relaiable workmen ie plumbers, washing maching repair men/women etc as you need someone who will come out straight away when you have sewage pouring out of a wall (you laugh but this happend to me in Jan).
Excellent points!
I am counting up my laundry for the laundry service! lol

Good catch Camberly -
Yes, you will need a laundry room regardless of whether you do your own laundry or not as you will need space for dirty linens as well as clean.
Note: If I were to do my place over (not in the plans) I would have my laundry room on the second floor instead of the 1st. It is where the most laundry comes from and saves the knees on the stairs. (I keep thinking I that as many times as I take the stairs each day that I would slim down - hasn't happened yet.
sad_smile.gif
)

Thanks! Yes, all things I have thought about but no decisions made.
I do plan to have laundry equipment on-site and have staff handle it. I appreciate your recommondation to get commercial grade equipment. I'm a great believer in commercial grade over residental grade. The higher cost is recovered by longer service life and fewer problems...usually.
On the resources page of this forum I saw the bleach-proof colored towels. But I also like what I read here the other day: the big hotels use white, and they have good reasons for that.

Excellent points!
And I have been hanging laundry all day!

Excellent points!
Well, now camberleyhotelharrogate has me thinking. I DO like the idea of using professionals when possible. They just do a better, faster job in most cases. I can do my own plumbing, but a plumber does it faster and better than I can. Same with carpentry. So how about laundry?
What would be the reasons to use a laundry service rather than doing it in-house?
  1. Not enough room in the facility for a laundry room? (I think I'll have plenty of room.)
  2. Not enough time or staff to do the laundry?
  3. Tired of doing laundry?
  4. Laundry service can do a better job of making things smell better and look better (pressed and stain-free)?
What else? Surely it's not cheaper to use a service, but I have no idea.

As well If I was designing from scratch I would put the dirty landry washing room in the lowest place basement for preference and have a chute to it from each floor that you can drop it down as housekeeping is backbreaking staggering about with sheets and towels when you have a full change on. As regards cost with laundry services if you factor in electric, water and paying someone to do it sending it out doesn't come out much more expensive. The service we use comes on a monday and thursday and they give you an order pad and you can order anything you could possibly need. Another way to do it which my neighbour does is has a deal with a local laundrette to which they drop off and then it is ready to collect the next day. I would recomend having at least one washer and dryer on site as if they have a day closed or national holiday you need to have a back up plan. The one we use provides everything but if you use a laundrette you have to outlay for all the initial costs as well. You also have to keep an eye on quality as some services are rubbish and you are always getting pilow cases with holes in. If you are in a small town with limited hotel/B&B type businesses it is unlikely that you will have such a service but you never know.

Excellent points!
Well, now camberleyhotelharrogate has me thinking. I DO like the idea of using professionals when possible. They just do a better, faster job in most cases. I can do my own plumbing, but a plumber does it faster and better than I can. Same with carpentry. So how about laundry?
What would be the reasons to use a laundry service rather than doing it in-house?
  1. Not enough room in the facility for a laundry room? (I think I'll have plenty of room.)
  2. Not enough time or staff to do the laundry?
  3. Tired of doing laundry?
  4. Laundry service can do a better job of making things smell better and look better (pressed and stain-free)?
What else? Surely it's not cheaper to use a service, but I have no idea.
I use a laundry service - for sheets only, we do the towels and table linens ourselves - for reasons #2 and #3. It costs money out-of-pocket, yes - but I'm not sure that it's not offset by water, electricity, wear & tear on the washer, my time, a housekeeper's time and wear & tear on my back in terms of expense. We have room for laundry and I'm not sure they do a better job - I still pretreat and wash myself anything that's badly stained, and we pressed our linens on a mangle. Our service picks up and delivers twice a week. It's worth it to me. If you are going to hire everything out, find a good laundry service, too.

Excellent points!
[FONT= &quot]gillumhouse, I did receive and appreciate your e-mail asking a few questions. Since I've not closed the deal on my property yet, I'm being a bit careful about giving exact location info out. As soon as everything is legal and closed up tight I'll be glad to share where I am, what my building looks like now, etc. Right now, my e-mail address gives away my full name and location, so I'm not responding via e-mail at this point.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Sometimes I think even small towns in other parts of the country have more zoning and development regulations than even larger cities in Arkansas. Twenty years ago our city didn't even have plumbing and electrical inspections of new construction. But that's starting to change, though it still seems like anybody here can do pretty much anything they want with their property and the city doesn't really care, as long as the fees and taxes are paid![/FONT]

Let's put it this way, certain things we just can't hire out here, ie laundry - there just is no laundry service, I think this is one thing I would love to hire out and have returned nice and clean and pressed!
Weekend #4 of the Opposum episode - DH was in spackling the closet, all my clothes (on hangers) are on the bed again and I saw an ad for "HOARDERS" a memorial day marathon, and said "Of course, what else would it be" I should go and lie down amongst the piles and watch it!
But I have to go to the store for breakfast, ran out of...drum roll...eggs. We have a Mustang group here right now and tomorrow we have Bikers from Brooklyn. (One I think writes for a motorcycle mag, maybe, I think he might...) Time to shift more laundry, adios.

As well If I was designing from scratch I would put the dirty landry washing room in the lowest place basement for preference and have a chute to it from each floor that you can drop it down as housekeeping is backbreaking staggering about with sheets and towels when you have a full change on. As regards cost with laundry services if you factor in electric, water and paying someone to do it sending it out doesn't come out much more expensive. The service we use comes on a monday and thursday and they give you an order pad and you can order anything you could possibly need. Another way to do it which my neighbour does is has a deal with a local laundrette to which they drop off and then it is ready to collect the next day. I would recomend having at least one washer and dryer on site as if they have a day closed or national holiday you need to have a back up plan. The one we use provides everything but if you use a laundrette you have to outlay for all the initial costs as well. You also have to keep an eye on quality as some services are rubbish and you are always getting pilow cases with holes in. If you are in a small town with limited hotel/B&B type businesses it is unlikely that you will have such a service but you never know..
If you are in a small town with limited hotel/B&B type businesses it is unlikely that you will have such a service but you never know.
I'd have to check. I know there is a laundry service truck, from a larger city 45 minutes away, running around town all the time picking up/delivering towels, door mats, bathroom soap and sanitizers, etc. for the local beauty shops, barber shops, doctor's offices, etc. They might also have a hotel-style towel and sheet service, I don't know.
But certainly I wouldn't want to receive back somebody else's cheap generic towels and pillowcases with holes in them. If they can't keep my stuff separate and do a good job with them, I'm not interested.

As well If I was designing from scratch I would put the dirty landry washing room in the lowest place basement for preference and have a chute to it from each floor that you can drop it down as housekeeping is backbreaking staggering about with sheets and towels when you have a full change on. As regards cost with laundry services if you factor in electric, water and paying someone to do it sending it out doesn't come out much more expensive. The service we use comes on a monday and thursday and they give you an order pad and you can order anything you could possibly need. Another way to do it which my neighbour does is has a deal with a local laundrette to which they drop off and then it is ready to collect the next day. I would recomend having at least one washer and dryer on site as if they have a day closed or national holiday you need to have a back up plan. The one we use provides everything but if you use a laundrette you have to outlay for all the initial costs as well. You also have to keep an eye on quality as some services are rubbish and you are always getting pilow cases with holes in. If you are in a small town with limited hotel/B&B type businesses it is unlikely that you will have such a service but you never know..
If you are in a small town with limited hotel/B&B type businesses it is unlikely that you will have such a service but you never know.
I'd have to check. I know there is a laundry service truck, from a larger city 45 minutes away, running around town all the time picking up/delivering towels, door mats, bathroom soap and sanitizers, etc. for the local beauty shops, barber shops, doctor's offices, etc. They might also have a hotel-style towel and sheet service, I don't know.
But certainly I wouldn't want to receive back somebody else's cheap generic towels and pillowcases with holes in them. If they can't keep my stuff separate and do a good job with them, I'm not interested.
Arkansawyer said:
They might also have a hotel-style towel and sheet service, I don't know.
Ours is a small commercial laundry located in a small city about 25 miles away. They launder our linens, which are not generic and I do use colored sheets, not plain white. They haven't lost or torn any but I would say their stain treatment is not as thorough as mine so I try to catch those before they go out.

Back