Still trying to fight airbnb

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie may

Reaction score
I found some interesting articles about airbnb by asking Mrs. Google "How to fight airbnb.com" Many of you have probably done that already but I am such a luddite. The other interesting sight is "How to fight "uber.com" It is a taxi service run very simular to airbnb. That is really popular in the states and now a few big cities in Canada. They are trying to get into our city. At least they have contacted city hall and are trying to get a license. Lots of red tape and big back lash from the legal cab companies. No doubt they will just go underground. Have any of you had experience with it?

in the UK you have to pay for a taxi liscence to be a taxi - so uber is illegal its that simple.

in the UK you have to pay for a taxi liscence to be a taxi - so uber is illegal its that simple..
What will the UK do to find the illegal ones? Same with airbnb?
charlie may said:
Most laws work because most people won't risk the consequences* of being one of the few who are caught.
I suppose they will find them by 2 methods: find them the same way customers find them, by looking at the apps they are listed in, and the websites where they announce their availability, etc., and by responding to complains of dissatisfied customers.

Same in the Netherlands, uber is declared illegal, you need a taxi license...
....and marijuana is illegal in kansas.... and what are the consequences vs. the money you can make to feed your family.
It's hard to imagine that the very same people (gov.) that so many rail against are now expected to find resources to police the underground economy. I would say that the underground economy is stronger than ever and growing stronger.

I learned a long time ago to not waste time and energy on a fight I am guaranteed to lose. They will get cracked down on when government figures out how much they are losing by them existing - a la NYC who then went stratospheric and made laws that cripple the legitimate B & B industry.
I fought a State law when I thought I had a chance of winning - and we won half of what we were going for. BUT we identified the problem to the Legislature AND provided the solution. The problem was a Fire Marshal who fought against us, but we had such a strong reasoning and solution, the one Legislator actually said, "If we fail to pass this, shame on us."
Not enough governments are seeing what is being lost. This battle, if you are going to fight it, must start with your local municipal government, then with the county, and then the State night notice. IF Congress realized how much money they were losing, it could start there - but I doubt it. When they are done taxing us to the point they cannot tax another penny, they will go after the things they think are chump change. THEN they will see they were the chumps for letting all that money get away from them. And since there is a propensity for enacting retroactive laws, I almost feel sorry for the cheaters when it comes to pay-up time.

After uber and airbnb came to our area I thought the taxman would take care of them, I was wrong. Both are technically illegal locally both flourish.
So I signed up for airbnb two weeks ago, after all it's the slow season, and I have already booked one room and have a 14 day booking starting right before Christmas. I have been paid $154 of the $159 on the first room and that's only a $5 commission on a sale I wouldn't have made. The upcoming two week stay net proceeds look to be about a 3% overall commission, how can I complain.
If the local authoritarians ever come after the airbnb owners they will find I am licensed, inspected, insured and paid my taxes.
If I could smash them I would have, but I cannot. Eventually even the Luddite's learned how to operate a cotton mill. Et tu Charlie?

After uber and airbnb came to our area I thought the taxman would take care of them, I was wrong. Both are technically illegal locally both flourish.
So I signed up for airbnb two weeks ago, after all it's the slow season, and I have already booked one room and have a 14 day booking starting right before Christmas. I have been paid $154 of the $159 on the first room and that's only a $5 commission on a sale I wouldn't have made. The upcoming two week stay net proceeds look to be about a 3% overall commission, how can I complain.
If the local authoritarians ever come after the airbnb owners they will find I am licensed, inspected, insured and paid my taxes.
If I could smash them I would have, but I cannot. Eventually even the Luddite's learned how to operate a cotton mill. Et tu Charlie?.
I listed with them - figured it is just another directory listing that does not cost me until it is used. My experience so far (over a 2 year period):
#1 - e-mailed asking about availability got scared it did not go through and called to make the rez - 1 night with no commission
#2 - made the rez through Air cancelled day before arrival - I got paid less their commission lost nothing except my expenses for the breakfast I did not have to fix.
#3 - made rez through Air - cancelled in plenty of time but I guess she did not notify Air because I got a check. Held it for a couple weeks expecting to hear "Ah, sorry, you should not get that." Heard nothing so I cashed the check.
If they want to keep making reservations and cancelling with me still getting paid - I will take it. I do not like Air because of the no hoops (they are mostly in the uni city north of me that I rarely get biz from anyway) but when the day of reckoning comes, I am legal so I do not care.

in the UK you have to pay for a taxi liscence to be a taxi - so uber is illegal its that simple..
But I seem to remember a lot of private car hires whose drivers handed out their 'mini-cab' business cards with phone numbers.
wink_smile.gif

If I could smash them I would have, but I cannot. Eventually even the Luddite's learned how to operate a cotton mill. Et tu Charlie?.
I would sign up for airbnb in a heartbeat if I could get one of my kids to help me get through the 5 pages?? of instructions! I just want them legal. There are 3 local legal ones signed up and they say it is great and the cheapest way to advertise. Business has picked up for them. I just can't seem to catch on to electronics but I am a whiz at installing toilets.

with uber the taxi companies which are big money are going after them - they tend to be pretty organised and work in unions so they can simply report them and its a criminal offence.
with B&B's however its a different matter - you can set up a B&B anywhere anytime, no liscence required and if you make less than about £80 a week you don't have to pay tax on it under the rent a room scheme - ie to encourage people to rent their spare room out and reduce housing problems.
where we get them is fire regs and food regs.

I do not have a problem with AirBnB in general as it is no different than Bnb,com or most of the other directories. None of the ones I am listed or have listed on in past have ever asked me to prove I am licensed.
Where Air sets me off is they lit the way
lightbulb.gif
so to speak for those with a spare rooms to list, something that may draw a flag with the other directories - or more likely the cost of listing rules them a less likely avenue for the casual renter.

Press announcement
The City of Amsterdam and Airbnb today announced an agreement that will promote responsible home sharing and simplify the payment of tourist tax for hosts in the city.
In the agreement signed by Airbnb and Alderpersons Laurens Ivens (Housing) and Udo Kock (Finance), the City of Amsterdam and Airbnb will work together to provide hosts with clearer and more accessible information on the rules for home sharing. Airbnb will also simplify the payment of tourist tax by collecting and remitting these taxes on behalf of hosts.
The partnership, which is the first of its kind in Europe, is good news for residents who share their homes through Airbnb. It comes after City of Amsterdam leaders called on a wide range of home sharing companies to share their ideas about responsible home sharing in the city. It also furthers Amsterdam’s reputation for being a hospitable city that embraces innovation and the sharing economy.
The agreement between the City of Amsterdam and Airbnb will take effect from 1 January 2015. Under the agreement:
Airbnb and the City of Amsterdam will further develop the webpage for hosts that includes information and links to rules that may affect people renting their homes in Amsterdam, including a link to a brochure from the city council.
Airbnb will prominently display a summary of these rules and hosts will be required to actively declare that they understand and will comply with them before they can post their listing.
Airbnb will collect and remit tourist tax on behalf of hosts beginning in February 2015.

Airbnb will send email updates twice a year to remind local hosts of the rules and regulations in Amsterdam.
Airbnb and the City of Amsterdam will join forces to tackle illegal hotels.
Alderperson Laurens Ivens (Housing): "We’re happy that we can make it easier for residents to rent out their homes according to the rules during their own holiday. This agreement will ensure that hosts receive clear information on how to share their homes responsibly and in accordance with local laws.“
Alderperson Udo Kock (Finance): "This is an important partnership for Airbnb and Amsterdam. The tax agreement ensures that the rules apply equally and fairly to everyone."
Airbnb co-founder Nathan Blecharczyk said: "We are delighted to be working alongside the City of Amsterdam to promote responsible home sharing in this great city. We are glad Amsterdam has enacted progressive rules that allow people to share their homes with respectful guests who want to experience new communities and live like locals."
Amsterdam is an increasingly popular city to visit and local residents are enjoying the benefits of sharing their homes – 73% of which are located outside the neighbourhoods where most hotels are located. Airbnb data shows that the average Airbnb guest is over 30 years old, educated and professional. On average, they stay longer than hotel guests and are more likely to return to the city.

Charlie, if you would like me to walk you through the set up please feel free to contact me.
We only allow bookings through Airbnb for between one week out during most of the year and up to 30 days out during off season. We do discount the rooms but use it to fill the place when it suits us. For instance, last weekend I had two rooms booked and the rest of the place was sitting empty. Our quarters are completely zoned separately but if I have even one guest I have to run the Inn heat, turn on the other water heater and serve breakfast anyways.
Our off season queen rooms go for $119 so I put them up on Airbnb for $79 but required 2 nights. So I think of it as booking rooms that would have sat empty. During peak season the same room is $189 weekends (2 nights required) and $169 weekdays (1 night required). I never use Airbnb for weekends unless there is a last minute cancellation but I list rooms during the upcoming week at $139 with a two night minimum.

Charlie, if you would like me to walk you through the set up please feel free to contact me.
We only allow bookings through Airbnb for between one week out during most of the year and up to 30 days out during off season. We do discount the rooms but use it to fill the place when it suits us. For instance, last weekend I had two rooms booked and the rest of the place was sitting empty. Our quarters are completely zoned separately but if I have even one guest I have to run the Inn heat, turn on the other water heater and serve breakfast anyways.
Our off season queen rooms go for $119 so I put them up on Airbnb for $79 but required 2 nights. So I think of it as booking rooms that would have sat empty. During peak season the same room is $189 weekends (2 nights required) and $169 weekdays (1 night required). I never use Airbnb for weekends unless there is a last minute cancellation but I list rooms during the upcoming week at $139 with a two night minimum..
We had our b an b association meeting on Monday and they are recommending using it. I guess I just don't know enough about it to jump into it.

Inn the news today
Illegal hotel law inhospitable to B&B's, their operators say
The Villager
Vinessa Milando, who operates Ivy Terrace Bed and Breakfast, in a room with a kitchen, which allows guests to cook. File photo by Tequila Minsky..
Well in my book a B +B is not "legal" it is properly permitted, inspected and insured. It's nice that she is paying taxes, or so she says, but if she is running a lodging business in a zone where short term rentals are verboten, then she is NOT a legal B+B!

Back