Stock Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
A B&B announced a new website design by a major B&B web designer and I noticed immediately all the Stock Photos. Wondering why they used these "filler" shots on this very expensive new website?
(Maybe I am wrong, but stock photos tend to look like stock photos, maybe they are all original and made to look like stock photos - there are no definitie - oh that is the Inn on any of the shots that I could tell)
If you are paying to have a new website designed I would make sure you tell them to keep the stock photos to a minimum. They remind me of the old publisher clipart (photo side) which is 15 years old hat now for websites. Used sparingly only.

I've thought about getting some for the headers on my site. All local, or possibly local shots. Mostly because I can't seem to size my own photos properly. They all look 'pixilated' when I load the pages.
But not to replace real shots of the inn.

Did you read that announcement on the blog links at this site? I just clicked on one....I didn't pay much attention to stock photos, but I really didn't like the look of that new site anyway. My eyes are getting old...too hard to focus on and read.:-(

reply to CL - that was what led me to the stock photos - not that link though, another by the same company, I am trying to not mention them here. The website is In your same state...I got to it from their twitter posts.

jb - i am guessing that stock photos were used rather than paying a professional photographer for all the pictures they wanted? i remember getting a quote for a pricey website and the photography was not included ... that was a whole separate company and price.
you noticed right away because your forte is great images and pictures. maybe the owners figure potential guests visiting their site won't realize it. maybe your next career will be in tweaking (or taking) pictures for websites?

I missed something--what B&B are we talking about so I can see the stock photos? Was there a link in the first post? I didn't see it.
Thanks!

jb - i am guessing that stock photos were used rather than paying a professional photographer for all the pictures they wanted? i remember getting a quote for a pricey website and the photography was not included ... that was a whole separate company and price.
you noticed right away because your forte is great images and pictures. maybe the owners figure potential guests visiting their site won't realize it. maybe your next career will be in tweaking (or taking) pictures for websites?.
seashanty said:
you noticed right away because your forte is great images and pictures. maybe the owners figure potential guests visiting their site won't realize it. maybe your next career will be in tweaking (or taking) pictures for websites?
They have professional photos. Not sure this company would create a website without them. I am just saying in addition to room pix, they have stock photos which I found strange, being they are the B&B web designers that they are. But again, maybe they aren't stock, they only look stock.

While I personally agree with you JB, I don't think the average b&b consumer knows the difference.

i don't know which site and which developer, but if you look at some of the developer sites (offering redo's and site 'lifts') they say professional photography to be provided by customer. so a customer can provide great photos of their real place along with professional stock photos at $1 a piece for the rights to use them.
in morticia's situation, i think it would be fine to use a few stock area photos, but try to get some that have not been used much. look at istock and it shows how many times a pic has been downloaded. plus, once it's yours, you can creatively reverse and crop a picture to make it unique.

Back