Stop the madness!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I have to say this is a fairly big peeve of mine- guests pack out everything in their room except one or two items. Tell us they are just going to go for a walk and will be back by check-out (no they won't) but we can go ahead and clean the room there's just a few things they've left in there that they will pick up when they return.
Stop! Either check-out and take all of your stuff with you or don't but not this sorta, halfway check-out crap.
I'm changing the combo to the entry door at 11. No sneaking back in whenever.
Essentially we are chained to the house until they decide to return. Can't clean, can't go out, drive me batty.

It drives me nuts too!! And it's always on a day when there is a full-house turnover so even the laundry takes forever.
We changed our checkout time from 11:00 to 10:30 a couple of years ago and have found that almost all of the guests are out by 11:00 now. Some realize that they do not have time to take the walk after breakfast and get back in time for the 10:30 check out so they just pack the car before they walk. If check out is at 11:00 they think that there is enough time to come back and shower before hitting the road.
Another thing that gets to me is the guest that wants to come back at noon to go to the bathroom. We do not have "public" restrooms here in the common area and they know that. Where do they think they will go? "Can we use the bathroom in your part of the house?" You have GOT to be kidding me???

It drives me nuts too!! And it's always on a day when there is a full-house turnover so even the laundry takes forever.
We changed our checkout time from 11:00 to 10:30 a couple of years ago and have found that almost all of the guests are out by 11:00 now. Some realize that they do not have time to take the walk after breakfast and get back in time for the 10:30 check out so they just pack the car before they walk. If check out is at 11:00 they think that there is enough time to come back and shower before hitting the road.
Another thing that gets to me is the guest that wants to come back at noon to go to the bathroom. We do not have "public" restrooms here in the common area and they know that. Where do they think they will go? "Can we use the bathroom in your part of the house?" You have GOT to be kidding me???.
Part of the reason we have a new door lock is because guests were coming back into the unlocked house and using 'their' bathroom (or any one they found open!) at all hours of the day.
A guest powder room would be lovely, but there is no room at the inn.
No one has ever asked to use my bathroom but they have made noises like they don't believe me there is no other bathroom other than in the guest rooms.
Of course I feel badly even though we do tell guests who want to leave the car, 'There is no rest room when you come back.' I have seen DH let the guests use the toilet in the cellar which appalls me, but he's a typical guy, 'Any port in a storm.' I don't want their last impression being the dirty toilet with no washing up facilities. But he doesn't understand that and it's too late to retrain him now.

We are lucky as there is a public access toilet as previous owners used the basement as a restuarant/coffee shop and it is a requirement you have to have a public toilet. We have a driving test center (or rather used to) up the road and the driving instructors used to come and have coffee while they waited for their students to come back (about an hour) we would have carried it on if we had known but it was the previous owners but two. Would have been easy money. Back to the original point it is very handy as people can use it if they come early or before they set off and it is appreciated as a bit of extra service that you don't get anywhere else. ie travel lodge you are not let into the building a minute before check in and you have to queue outside.

Back